Re: Constant Packet Loss - Only In Apex

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Constant Packet Loss - Only In Apex

★★★ Novice

Every evening I get a ton of packet loss that only appears Apex Legends. I have looked all over the forums, Reddit, and various other places and have had no luck fixing the issue. I have ran the UO Trace Utility and I can see that I am losing packets on the way to easo.ea.com. When I choose any other address I see no packet loss. Below is a screenshot of my UO Trace Utility going to easo.ea.com

packet_loss.png

no_packet_loss.png

Message 1 of 18 (2,439 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @ainen

The 100% loss you're seeing on that particular hop may not actually indicate that all packets are being dropped there. Rather, it may just be that hop isn't reporting the data so the UO Trace isn't able to display it. 

Other than that the UO Trace looks solid. The ping stays pretty low and there isn't a lot of variation between the highest and lowest ping. There also doesn't appear to be any other measurable packet loss happening either. 

Have you tried switching over to another datacenter in Apex Legends to test and see if that makes any difference at all? I'm curious if this is only happening when you're connecting to a specific server, or if it's all of them. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 18 (2,375 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have tried a variety of data centers with no improvements. I have even tried using a VPN and connecting to different data centers as well but that just made it worse. 

Message 3 of 18 (2,367 Views)

Community Manager

@ainen 

Hmm, gotcha. Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 18 (2,294 Views)

★★★ Novice

Columbus, OH

Message 5 of 18 (2,290 Views)

Community Manager

@ainen 

I appreciate that. I saw some recent reports about connection issues to one of the servers in Asia, so I was curious if this was related. 

Which platform are you playing Apex Legends on? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 18 (2,263 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am playing on PC.

I also noticed while playing Battlefront 2 last night that I had packet loss/connection issues. So it doesn’t seem to be only Apex but EA games as a whole.

Message 7 of 18 (2,245 Views)

Community Manager

@ainen 

Hmm, gotcha. 

When you have a chance could you try changing the DNS settings in Windows to see if that helps at all? I've seen some cases where using a different DNS can help in similar situations. 

You can update the DNS through the TCP/IP Settings in Windows. For more info on how to get there check out the Microsoft Support website. If you choose Manual you can enter a DNS of your choosing. I usually recommend using the public Google DNS (Primary: 8.8.8.8, Secondary: 8.8.4.4), but if there's a different public DNS you'd rather use instead that should be fine. 

Let me know if you're still running into the same issues after that. Thanks again!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 18 (2,217 Views)

★★★ Novice

I currently use Cloudflare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1), but I have tried Google and OpenDNS in the past without any improvements.

Message 9 of 18 (2,212 Views)

Community Manager

@ainen 

Gotcha, thanks!

Have you had a chance to check and make sure there aren't any ports that might be closed? You can find the ports for Apex Legends over at the EA Help website: 

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues#apexlegends

Let me know what you find out. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 10 of 18 (2,170 Views)