Constant CTDs After Starting a Match

by OutliveItAll

Original Post

Re: Constant CTDs After Starting a Match

★★★★ Novice
So finally I got to the bottom of this as to why Battlefield 1 kept CTD'ing. @iluminatethesky I tried all your steps and none of them worked, however what did work was I went into my bios and reset everything and loaded the optimized defaults. My oc on my cpu was stable at the time but resetting it seemed to help the game from crashing all the time. I am now in the process of oc'ing lightly to still give it a bump up in performance but not so much so to where it's going to crash everything. Before the cpu was running at 4.6GHz, now I have it at 4.1. I realize in the heat of california even with ac running, the cpu gets up to 60C with an AIO, so now I'm being mindful of the temps. I'll update you all if anything get weird again, but thank you so much for the help.

@SavedbySkip I don't think a Windows update has anything to do with how BF1 is running. For me, it runs better with the newest update. Before the newest update it was really unstable. Tick the setting on that says "GPU Memory Restriction". Or go into your bios and load optimize defaults like i did, and that instantly fixed my issue.
Message 11 of 15 (545 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@OutliveItAll

Thanks for keeping me updated.

Let us know if you're still having issues after playing for a bit.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly though.

★★★★★ Novice
I have the latest April update. I don’t mean I have any issues with that. There was a security update released on 6/8 that my computer installed yesterday, just prior to my issues with ctds. I uninstalled it and all is wel. Also, for your benefit know that windows updates can and do interfere with how games run. Microsoft messed up memory management awhile back and still haven’t fixed it. This causes stuttering in certain games regardless of your specs. Implementing a program that auto runs to clear the standby memory every so often has provided a temporary solution to this issue for a lot of gamers. See here to understand what I’m referring too. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators...
Message 13 of 15 (1,181 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks to skip0187.  I uninstalled the latest security update for Windows 10 and BF1 is working again!

Message 14 of 15 (510 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Nice, that's awesome. One thing I realized that also stabilizes the integrity of the game more is disabling Superfetch in the Services tab of Task Manager. That actually made the game stop flickering and stopped the little micro stutters.
Message 15 of 15 (469 Views)