Computer shuts off during matches, (All Details of attempted fix inside thread)

by scionsaregr8

Original Post

Computer shuts off during matches, (All Details of attempted fix inside thread)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello everybody,

My computer literally turns off in the middle of games, and I have literally no idea why. More information as to what I've tired below

By "Shuts Down" I mean precisely that. Literally in the exact same fashion as your power getting cut off. I need to boot up once more.

I was recently on a live chat with EA Support, and the agent recommended I do two things

1. Perform a clean boot, otherwise known as disabling all startup applications, which I have done. The three things running on my PC when I play Apex are Discord, Orgin and Apex Legends itself.

2. Update my drivers (which I did, NVIDIA GeForce Experience tells me that I'm up to date, so no problems there)

Things I've tried before speaking to support

1. Checking if my system can handle it, and maybe I'm causing stress on my PC

However, this is not the case because I can run an Ultra Heaven Benchmark at 300 FPS without my computer breaking a sweat.

Specs for those doubtful listed below:

CPU: Intel i7 9700k

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S

RAM: 16GB DDR4

2. I've also ruled out that Apex must be the sole possibility, because this literally only happens when I'm playing Apex. I can't consider this a coincidence because my computer has been running with no issues whatsoever, and continues to run with no issues when I'm not playing Apex

3. I've also verified integrity of game files, and made sure that both Origin and Apex are both up to date.

I'm kind of at my wit's end here. I've scoured a lot of places and nobody has been able to fix my issue.

I'd also try live chat, but I'm not within business hours (EST Timezone), and I'm pretty excited to play the game, and my computer shutting off really kills my mood when I'm doing well and it also lets down my teammates.

To conclude, I'm asking if anybody knows something else to try, I'll be carefully watching replies, so if any other information is needed, I'd be happy to provide ASAP.

Thanks in Advance for Reading!

Message 1 of 6 (291 Views)

Re: Computer shuts off during matches, (All Details of attempted fix inside thre

Community Manager

@scionsaregr8 

Something that comes to mind is your power supply. Are you sure your power supply is capable of putting out the wattage your system requires?

This is potentially an issue if you upgraded your GPU without knowing or checking the PSU requirements of your system once the GPU upgrade was done.

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (236 Views)

Re: Computer shuts off during matches, (All Details of attempted fix inside thre

★★★ Newbie

I bought a pre-built computer, so I know that the power supply can meet the requirements. My computer also doesn't shut off when my GPU is being pushed to the maximum, helping me rule out any Power Supply issues.

Message 3 of 6 (205 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@scionsaregr8did you check the temps of your cpu? If the cpu gets to hot, your pc will shut down like this.

• download coretemp
  • download prime 95
  • run both, check for stability and temps
  • share your result here
Message 4 of 6 (189 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm having the same problem, I know for sure that my power supply can handle it. because its a 850 watt 80+ gold  on a Ryzen 7 5800x and a Radeon 5500xt (because i was planning to get a 3070 but i could not find one) so this leaves me clueless as to what is wrong. i have done a clean boot, i have rolled back my graphic drivers and updated them too, and have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. on both origin and steam. I can get into the lobby sometimes and then it shuts down my pc completely.

Message 5 of 6 (130 Views)

★ Pro
@Buyable8 do you experience this in any other games? any overclocking on your pc?
Message 6 of 6 (115 Views)