Re: Computer becomes slow after quitting Apex Legends and Origin

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Computer becomes slow after quitting Apex Legends and Origin

★★★ Novice

So a friend of mine that plays Apex Legends with me every now and again has a problem where when he quits the game and his computer will become sluggish. Things like loading videos and images in discord will take upwards of 5-7 seconds instead of the usual instant, and really most things will take way longer then they normally would. Currently the only way he has found to fix this is by restarting his PC after every time he plays. Even if Origin is fully closed (right clicking and quitting Origin) it will not make a difference, and there is nothing in task manager that is indicative of this behavior.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or a solution to it besides restarting?

Message 1 of 11 (2,129 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @St1nkyCheeseHead

That's definitely weird. 

Has he tried clearing out his Origin cache to see if that helps at all? I'm wondering if there might be something in the cached data that's causing some issues. For more details on how to clear the cache check out the EA Help website

Let me know how that goes. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 11 (2,047 Views)

★★★ Novice

He tried clearing everything but LocalContent in %programdata% and %appdata% then restarting. It did not affect this issue, after playing for a little while when exiting everything was still slow.

Message 3 of 11 (2,018 Views)

Community Manager

@St1nkyCheeseHead 

Gotcha, thanks!

Would you be able to grab a DxDiag from him and share it here? For more info on how to pull one up check out the EA Help website

Once you have the text file please attach it to this thread. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 11 (2,003 Views)

★ Novice

Hello Kent, I am the one having this issue. I have no idea what causes it other than playing Apex Legends. I was told to get this document sent to you on this thread so here it is. If you could find out the problem I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Message 5 of 11 (1,987 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@CrippledPotatoes 

Got it, thanks! 

Looking through the Diagnostics section in the DxDiag it looks like there are a couple errors coming from some Windows system processes. I'm wondering if there might be an issue with a corrupted system file in Windows that could be related to the performance issues you've been seeing. 

When you've got the chance can you try running the Windows System File Checker to see if that helps at all? If there is something wrong with a system file that may help fix it. For more information on how to run it check out the Microsoft Support website

Let me know how it goes when you have a chance. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 11 (1,946 Views)

★ Novice

So I did everything in the Microsoft Support website that could help me with my corrupted files. It did say that I had corrupted files and they have been fixed. I restarted my computer to make sure everything was reset properly. When I was done playing I checked to see if everything was slow as it was before and it was. I made sure everything origin was fully closed and same with Apex Legends. I'm not too sure of the cause at this point but the files I had on my computer were not the issue.

Message 7 of 11 (1,933 Views)

★★★ Novice

Any new ideas or are we out of luck?

Message 8 of 11 (1,860 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the updates!

Apologies for the delayed reply on this. 

Can you try something else for me to see if it helps with this? What happens if you try starting up your PC in a Clean Boot before you launch Apex Legends or Origin? If there's something else running on the PC that could be causing this that might help to get around it. 

For more info on how to set one up check out the EA Help website. Let me know if you're still running into this same issue after that. Thanks again. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 9 of 11 (1,820 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry for the slightly delayed response, we just waited until the steam release of the game came around... playing it through steam does not cause this problem, but the origin version still did, but since he only had origin installed for that game, it does not matter that it still does that for our situation. Thanks for the attempt in helping.

Message 10 of 11 (1,697 Views)