Re: Complete list of outgoing firewall ports for Apex Legends/Origin Launcher

by LolsItsColin05

Original Post

Complete list of outgoing firewall ports for Apex Legends/Origin Launcher

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Need detailed outgoing port listing for Origin (specifically Apex Legends) . The list located here lists the following port information, which is incomplete, and not correct in my case has been removed by Origin:

• TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

I have found that I have to open the following ports:

• TCP: 44325; 8091
  • UDP: 8125; 37x15; 38x15; 39x15; 40015; 40115 (where x = 0 thru 9, meaning 37015, 37115, 37215, etc.)

I have had to create over 41 service definitions to get this game working. Is there any chance the game and launcher can be tweaked to only use a few outgoing ports, rather than so many? Furthermore, you will notice that none of the ports mentioned in the FAQ linked above are ports actually used by the launcher or game, except for 80 & 443.

I have attached a sample of my firewall logs after creating the rule ("fwrule=28") whcih illustrates the connections to ports in the 37000:41000 range that end in xxx15. Mostly, the ports used seem to be udp/37015; tcp/44325 and tcp/8091.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 9 (14,546 Views)

★ Novice

Can we have the new one, after the new update? ASAP

Message 2 of 9 (13,689 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

i fixed my problem with these ports but now since the update i have the same problem

Message 3 of 9 (13,515 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@LolsItsColin05 wrote:

i fixed my problem with these ports but now since the update i have the same problem

My post was a question asking for the official list, because I noticed it keeps using more and more ports. As you found, after the update it uses an additional range of ports. For me, where my previous highest port was 40115, now I had to include every xxx15 port up to 41915, so:

• UDP 41215, 41315, 41415, etc all the way up to 41915

My guess is that they intend to use the entire range 37000:42000 - only a mere 5 THOUSAND ports, nothing to worry about, right?

Game design like this is lazy, and nobody seems to care. There's no reason a program needs to have access to unknown and unspecified ports like this. If they want 60 ports, why not just have us open 41000:41060? Nope, like Epic Games, they prefer to force people with strict (secure) firewalls to chase down ports over and over and create vulnerabilities that any savvy script kiddie can take advantage of.

At any rate, I hope my trials and crashing mid-game discovery helps you some, Colin.

Message 4 of 9 (13,463 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Thank you very much.
On my side I uninstalled Apex Legends as soon as I figured it would either crash or be a pain in the *** to be working safely.
Thanks Lazy Programmers(tm) but no thanks.
Message 5 of 9 (12,165 Views)

★★★ Newbie
After searching alot, and consider to open the ports, I remembered that the router was in "Gamer Mode" and I tried with it disabled, and, it worked! IT WORKED!

So, I hope that this help someone.
Message 6 of 9 (10,042 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is actually terrifying..... Maybe this is why there are such instability issues with the platform in general. 

Message 7 of 9 (9,971 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I picture some person or small team saying, "You like the number 15? I think we should use ONLY ports ending in 15. Let's do that, for no reason at all."

Thing is, this isn't some cute form of self-expression for the users. This isn't like going to a cute little boutique named "15 things you can't live without" where all the prices end in 15. This is network security.

What do students living in dorm on university networks do? Does Origin & Respawn expect that Uni IT professionals are going to work with students to track down these ports, let alone open them on their networks?

Lazy, irresponsible, careless, and arrogant.

Fun game though, when I could still play it in February.

Message 8 of 9 (9,952 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@HangoSouEu Hey how i find it and i disable this "gamer mode"?
Message 9 of 9 (4,319 Views)