Re: Community Crashing Troubleshooting Guide

by NoCureForFailure

Original Post

@ulostface I totally get your frustration and the frustration of everyone, but the devs already mentioned a few times the crashes are top priority for them. It's just not that easy to fix unfortunately. 

If it would have been an easy fix, they would have patched it already and pushed an update. But even if they find a fix they first need to get approval before they can push it, which can take days again. 

I know little about development, but I do know about marketing and it would be just dumb for a company to constantly talk and mention the negatives of their product. If they did, they would've been a terrible company imo.

You can read more about their approach on crashes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/av86d6/respawn_check_in_2262019/

More info/fun here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/

We are talking about a game that has been released just 4 weeks ago, and got very popular, very fast. With currently about 50 million players worlwide. 

That's great, but also very hard for a dev team and I can imagine it's pretty overwhelming for them too.

Let's try to be patient and provide them with as much details and experiences as we can, not things like: FIX YOUR GAME1!1!#. But rather helpful information that they can use to create a fix. That will actually help and be beneficial to every legend here.

Message 491 of 826 (956 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You guys need to fix this I've gone through the troubleshooting list 3 times it's not my PS4 That's the problem it's on your end.. all I want to do is play the game when I get home but I can't because it's unable to connect to servers.. I feel like your team needs to work harder to get this fixed and the fans that still support and want to play this game deserve some kind of reward for sticking by your side even when they can't play the game.. FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Message 492 of 826 (962 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@NoCureForFailure 

This is a great post.  I currently work as a QA Engineer for a software company and I can tell you, narrowing down a bug with this many different software/hardware configurations is going to take a significant amount of effort.  I have no doubt that they're combing through the code to find the exact reason why these crashes are happening.  Rest assured, the developers are aware of your frustrations and are looking at all of the bug reports coming in and trying out every possible scenario to identify the cause of these seemingly random crashes.  We just need to be patient and THANKFUL that they created such a fun game FOR FREE!!!!!!  Despite it's crashes, I'm having a blast playing this and will support the company by purchasing the Battle Passes when they become available, because they deserve to be compensated for their hard work on this amazing game.

Message 493 of 826 (938 Views)

@JMUTowlee Thanks, great to hear. And couldn't agree more. 

Message 494 of 826 (932 Views)

★★ Novice

I have came to a conclusion that not only is it AMD processors that receiving the most issues but also if you are playing apex with other people and one of them has a newer instance of origin you will crash. Im not even talking about an actual update either. I swear i have been testing this over and over for the last month and the number 1 way i reduce my crashes is by making my friends and I restart orgin completely. That way we all have the same instance of origin. Try this and see how it helps you because i am convinced that it helps alot!!!

Message 495 of 826 (916 Views)

Community Manager

Hey Legends,

I combed through this discussion and found what has been helping others avoid crashes. Some of the things mentioned below either fixed the crashing for those reporting it or drastically reduced the amount of times they occurred. If you're willing to give these a look and report back with your results we would greatly appreciate it. 

One consistent setting that seemed to work for most players was to cap the FPS at 60. We previously set it at 75 in the guide, but it looks like those that had 75 still experienced crashes until they set it to 60. Disabling Volumetric Lighting also seemed to work very well.

Nvidia DXGI Error Discussion: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/axratq/nvidia_driver_41935_for_apex_legends_fixes_dxgi...

• Cap FPS to 60 or 70 (Put "+fps_max 60" in the advanced option in the game properties inside the origin launcher)
  • Disable full screen optimization
    • Right-click the Apex Legends icon.
    • Click on Properties.
    • Click on the Compatibility tab.
    • Check “Disable Full Screen Optimizations”
    • Click OK.
  • Lower Monitor Refresh Rate to 60
    • Open Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Click on Display.
    • Click the Display adapter properties link at the bottom
    • Click the Monitor tab.
  • Set Easy Anti-Cheat Priority to Low
    • When you launch the game ALT-TAB out. 
    • CTRL-ALT-DELETE so you pull up Task Manager
    • Go to the Details tab
    • Find Easy Anti-Cheat>Right-Click and set priority to low
  • In-Game Settings
    • Lower Texture Streaming Budget to Low or NONE
    • Lower Ambient Occlusion
    • Disable Anti-Aliasing
    • Disable Volumetric Lighting
    • Lower Spot Shadow Detail
  • Disable V-Sync
  • Disable Origin In-Game, GeForce Experience, and Discord overlays
  • Uninstall Nvidia Shadowplay
  • Change from Take No Action to Restart The Service (Some users might have it already set to Restart The Service so it’s worth checking). https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/arbqhw/apex_legends_crash_fix_try_this/

AMD FX Users (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/AMD-Server-timeout-amp-crash-fix-fx-series/m-p/7534180#M2...)

1. Open Apex Legends
  2. Open Windows services by searching "services" using the windows home button
  3. Stop Windows audio endpoint builder (its near the bottom)
  4. Start Windows audio (its right above audio endpoint builder)
Blueberry.png
Message 496 of 826 (851 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Hey , will the problem ever be completely fixed so we don't have to cap our fps ? I have to play on 75fps even though I got a 144hz monitor , feels like trash .
Message 497 of 826 (831 Views)

Community Manager

@vAtssssss wrote:
Hey , will the problem ever be completely fixed so we don't have to cap our fps ? I have to play on 75fps even though I got a 144hz monitor , feels like trash .

We're working on it and thank you for hanging in there with us, seriously. This stuff can be annoying to troubleshoot and all the help we've been getting from the Legends in here has been amazing. The messaging below was from the 2.26 check in. We are also working with AMD too.

CRASHING ON PC

This week we’ve been working directly with nVidia to investigate PC crashing as well as parsing through reports from our customer service folks. These reports are aggregated from hundreds of posts with breakdowns of what hardware is being affected. We have to account for thousands of different hardware configurations and settings so reproducing many crashes, applying, and testing the fixes will take time. We know this is very frustrating for many of you that are trying to play.

Reminder that we do have a troubleshooting guide on the forums with things to try in the meantime using the link below. Also, we recommend you turn off overclocking on your CPU and GPU as we’re seeing reports of peoples games becoming much more stable as a result.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Community-Crashing-Troubleshooting-Guide/td-p/7447308

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/av86d6/respawn_check_in_2262019/ 

Blueberry.png
Message 498 of 826 (825 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Thanks for keeping the communication with the community it gives us hope it will get fixed , wasn't able to play at all but added fps_max 75 like 4 days ago and was able to play for hours each day without crashes , I love the game and I am having lots of fun and hope you will fix it so I can uncap my fps !
Thanks and good luck :D
Message 499 of 826 (820 Views)

★ Novice
disabling V-sync, turning off Origin In game overlay and lowering setting to about medium seems to fix the issue. Recently turned on Origin In game and it crashed again so that seems to be a big one.
Message 500 of 826 (779 Views)