Re: Community Crashing Troubleshooting Guide

by Ily_FPS

Original Post

★ Apprentice
Oh we need to fix your miistakes ok.... just patch it 02/19 still crashing. EA...
Message 271 of 826 (1,303 Views)

★★ Apprentice
still crashing too. Nothing worked for me... it's a memory leak bug in the game code... don't waste your time trying to fix your computer guys. They will patch it one day without saying anything tho
Message 272 of 826 (1,295 Views)

★ Novice
How did you notice it ?
Since the path, having crash every 2/3 game ....
Message 273 of 826 (1,282 Views)

Community Manager

@Lev0phed wrote:

This is what is causing the bad-Module_info crash

• "Bad_Module_Info is a part of the Windows Error Reporting process. It's failure is on Windows 10. Particularly more accurate that it is a part of the Creators update and mean to help with using GPU intensive tasks in an optimized way. This is not to say it doesn't have short comings. The reason it's happening is due to a few things:

• First x86 or 32 bit and 64 bit rendering is different. DX11 doesn't quite get this right sometimes and hence will fault/error. Usually in a non intrusive way: ie Check your error log for application information with bad_module_info.

• Second: Windows Error reporting takes all errors and commits them to memory and compiles the dump of the errors. Since this fault lies with the application and rendering process(The Engine/GPU/Memory). The dump isn't able to compile all the commits. The information faults/errors are coming from Memory. The Red errors are coming from gpu driver dumps.

• So why does all this matter. Basically... Windows Error Reporting is having issues with Origin running 64 overlaying to the windows desktop with it's friends and invites etc. When that graphically causes a fault... which it is known to do. The GPU compensates and Windows attempts to render committing to memory an action. This results in a bad_module_info dump to the Error reporting service. Since the service handles that it takes it and reads that most info it needs is null and pretends like it's an Information result. However, this little tick of time that it takes to prioritize and figure that all out is enough for the Reporting service to forget 32/64 bit error handling and causes the memory commit to fail. Causing a full crash. Thus you have the weird world of Bad_Module_Info"

• "Also the behavior seems to be that you will see a few bad_module_info's around the time friends and stuff come online or offline etc. But won't always commit a failure to the application. This crash is happening after you start a game when the most graphical renders are happening to the system. Thus the error reporting is getting stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving causing it to break. Some slower systems will have issues later in the game and cause a crash. When the server is doing cleanup on the outiside of the circle and de-rendering things that can crash too"

• "Windows 7 received a similar update to creators and I don't know the specifics of that. I was going to revert to 1703 but due to development needs I have to be on current. Best answer is I can't answer that question specifically. This took about 6 custom programs to track down. My best advice to respawn is just to detect windows version and change the way renders are committed. It's a Source engine game and it should be able to slow it down a bit or consolidate then clear it's commits to memory before the game starts requiring on demand renders causing the crash"

CREDIT FOR THE ABOVE GOES TO: TheLumination. on the official Apex Legends support discord by TheLumination.

This is what is causing the bad-Module_info crash

• "Bad_Module_Info is a part of the Windows Error Reporting process. It's failure is on Windows 10. Particularly more accurate that it is a part of the Creators update and mean to help with using GPU intensive tasks in an optimized way. This is not to say it doesn't have short comings. The reason it's happening is due to a few things:

• First x86 or 32 bit and 64 bit rendering is different. DX11 doesn't quite get this right sometimes and hence will fault/error. Usually in a non intrusive way: ie Check your error log for application information with bad_module_info.

• Second: Windows Error reporting takes all errors and commits them to memory and compiles the dump of the errors. Since this fault lies with the application and rendering process(The Engine/GPU/Memory). The dump isn't able to compile all the commits. The information faults/errors are coming from Memory. The Red errors are coming from gpu driver dumps.

• So why does all this matter. Basically... Windows Error Reporting is having issues with Origin running 64 overlaying to the windows desktop with it's friends and invites etc. When that graphically causes a fault... which it is known to do. The GPU compensates and Windows attempts to render committing to memory an action. This results in a bad_module_info dump to the Error reporting service. Since the service handles that it takes it and reads that most info it needs is null and pretends like it's an Information result. However, this little tick of time that it takes to prioritize and figure that all out is enough for the Reporting service to forget 32/64 bit error handling and causes the memory commit to fail. Causing a full crash. Thus you have the weird world of Bad_Module_Info"

• "Also the behavior seems to be that you will see a few bad_module_info's around the time friends and stuff come online or offline etc. But won't always commit a failure to the application. This crash is happening after you start a game when the most graphical renders are happening to the system. Thus the error reporting is getting stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving causing it to break. Some slower systems will have issues later in the game and cause a crash. When the server is doing cleanup on the outiside of the circle and de-rendering things that can crash too"

• "Windows 7 received a similar update to creators and I don't know the specifics of that. I was going to revert to 1703 but due to development needs I have to be on current. Best answer is I can't answer that question specifically. This took about 6 custom programs to track down. My best advice to respawn is just to detect windows version and change the way renders are committed. It's a Source engine game and it should be able to slow it down a bit or consolidate then clear it's commits to memory before the game starts requiring on demand renders causing the crash"

CREDIT FOR THE ABOVE GOES TO: TheLumination. on the official Apex Legends support discord by TheLumination.

***The developers have yet to acknowledge they received this message so far as i can tell. ALl I got was a PM from a moderator saying they got it, but I get the impression they are just taking complaints and brushing them off, not actually passing the info to the people who can fix the game.

This type of information is not brushed off and we're doing everything we can to pass along critical information to the development team to improve stability. If you didn't get a chance to check out this post from the Respawn Community Manger it's worth a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/ar55zj/2152019_an_update_from_respawn/

I'm afraid we don't have any new information around this topic at the moment. We'll do our best to track down updates for everyone and share it as we get them.

Blueberry.png
Message 274 of 826 (1,234 Views)

★★ Apprentice

So any fixe after 2 weeks of crashing?

Message 275 of 826 (1,211 Views)

★ Novice

I have the exact same issue 

Message 276 of 826 (1,207 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Ily_FPS wrote:

So any fixe after 2 weeks of crashing?

Nope but PS4 is better and Xbox players can use a Gibraltard Skin again. Confused

Seriously thanks Respawn. I'm glad you care. 

Message 277 of 826 (1,196 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same, crashing every 2-3 games since newest patch -.- fix the * game, so annoying

Message 278 of 826 (1,181 Views)

★★ Apprentice

any fix to the connection to server timed out?

Message 279 of 826 (1,165 Views)

★★ Novice

Been trying to fix the game crashing for about a week now, pretty much everyday.

It would have been great if I could at least START or play the game itself at least for a bit, but so far (after trying every conceivable fix that I could find) my game still "crashes" after the Easy Anti Cheat loading screen.

Thanks for the game, boys. Hopefully I'll be able to play in a year or two...

Message 280 of 826 (1,152 Views)