Re: Community Crashing Troubleshooting Guide

by aelix6361

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

The only issue I ever get is I get an error saying it failed to connect to the ea servers which I dont seem to see a fix for anywhere. It kicks me after every game and I have to constantly restart apex until it allows to join. It says connection to server timed out see ea.com/unable-to-connect for more information. Which ive done but no fix

Message 261 of 826 (1,535 Views)

★ Novice

This * is getting irritating. At first my game would only freeze and come back 15 seconds later but now i crash completely every single time. Every other game. Please get ur * together and do something. I thought this was a good game at first but there is way too bugs a crash problems, everything else is fine beside the fact the punching does more * damage than the peacemaker. Please explain

Message 262 of 826 (1,481 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Just to add to the conversation in case it helps... since the 15/02 patch I have been crashing to desktop very regularly (probably 1/2 my games, including every game that goes more than about 10mins). No error message, just freeze and crash. Here is the list of things that I have tried, all which had NO EFFECT:

- remove GPU overclock

- close MSI Afterburner

- close Discord

- close every other background program I could including audio utility

- run in compatibility mode (Win7)

- run as administrator

- the Easy Anti Cheat crashing fix listed on the front page

- update GPU drivers

- rollback GPU drivers to 417.71 which is supposed to be 'known stable'

- changed NVIDIA control panel settings in line with front page guidance

- lowered graphics settings in-game in various ways

- disable Origin in-game overlay

- disable Origin DVR

- disable Geforce Experience overlay\

- complete Origin and Apex uninstall and reinstall

As noted, none of these steps had any impact on the number of crashes. However, last night I made a change which allowed me to play 5 games in a row without any issues: set every single graphics setting to minimum/off including resolution down to 1080p (instead of native 1440p). 5 games stable doesn't sound like much, but previously I had been unable to play one game through to the late stages without a crash, and every second game it would crash 5 minutes in.

My PC is powerful enough to run the game at med-high settings (i5-6600k, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM). Before the 15/02 patch I had only ever crashed once, and at 1440p/med-high settings I was getting 80-110 fps.

I'm going to try reintroducing elements from the above list (e.g. my GPU overclock, Discord etc.) while leaving my graphics settings on minimum so that I can rule out some causes. And then if it stays stable I guess I'll just raise one graphics setting at a time, playing 10 games to confirm stability, until I find the one that is breaking the game for me.

Message 263 of 826 (1,194 Views)

★ Guide

I'm sick of watching streamers play this game. I want to play but i crash all the games with no error. Bad_module_info on the event viewer. Uploaded a dxdiag a week ago. Tried at least 15 or more "fixes".

Come on, please. How hard can it be ? What info do you want from us ? Tell us so we can provide what you need. Fix this already ...

Message 264 of 826 (1,319 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Don't know if this is helpful but might be worth bringing it to the team but the crash with no error is identical to one I was getting in Anthem during the demo's. Might be tied to origin or something, I don't know.

Message 265 of 826 (1,304 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This is what is causing the bad-Module_info crash

• "Bad_Module_Info is a part of the Windows Error Reporting process. It's failure is on Windows 10. Particularly more accurate that it is a part of the Creators update and mean to help with using GPU intensive tasks in an optimized way. This is not to say it doesn't have short comings. The reason it's happening is due to a few things:

• First x86 or 32 bit and 64 bit rendering is different. DX11 doesn't quite get this right sometimes and hence will fault/error. Usually in a non intrusive way: ie Check your error log for application information with bad_module_info.

• Second: Windows Error reporting takes all errors and commits them to memory and compiles the dump of the errors. Since this fault lies with the application and rendering process(The Engine/GPU/Memory). The dump isn't able to compile all the commits. The information faults/errors are coming from Memory. The Red errors are coming from gpu driver dumps.

• So why does all this matter. Basically... Windows Error Reporting is having issues with Origin running 64 overlaying to the windows desktop with it's friends and invites etc. When that graphically causes a fault... which it is known to do. The GPU compensates and Windows attempts to render committing to memory an action. This results in a bad_module_info dump to the Error reporting service. Since the service handles that it takes it and reads that most info it needs is null and pretends like it's an Information result. However, this little tick of time that it takes to prioritize and figure that all out is enough for the Reporting service to forget 32/64 bit error handling and causes the memory commit to fail. Causing a full crash. Thus you have the weird world of Bad_Module_Info"

• "Also the behavior seems to be that you will see a few bad_module_info's around the time friends and stuff come online or offline etc. But won't always commit a failure to the application. This crash is happening after you start a game when the most graphical renders are happening to the system. Thus the error reporting is getting stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving causing it to break. Some slower systems will have issues later in the game and cause a crash. When the server is doing cleanup on the outiside of the circle and de-rendering things that can crash too"

• "Windows 7 received a similar update to creators and I don't know the specifics of that. I was going to revert to 1703 but due to development needs I have to be on current. Best answer is I can't answer that question specifically. This took about 6 custom programs to track down. My best advice to respawn is just to detect windows version and change the way renders are committed. It's a Source engine game and it should be able to slow it down a bit or consolidate then clear it's commits to memory before the game starts requiring on demand renders causing the crash"

CREDIT FOR THE ABOVE GOES TO: TheLumination. on the official Apex Legends support discord by TheLumination.

This is what is causing the bad-Module_info crash

• "Bad_Module_Info is a part of the Windows Error Reporting process. It's failure is on Windows 10. Particularly more accurate that it is a part of the Creators update and mean to help with using GPU intensive tasks in an optimized way. This is not to say it doesn't have short comings. The reason it's happening is due to a few things:

• First x86 or 32 bit and 64 bit rendering is different. DX11 doesn't quite get this right sometimes and hence will fault/error. Usually in a non intrusive way: ie Check your error log for application information with bad_module_info.

• Second: Windows Error reporting takes all errors and commits them to memory and compiles the dump of the errors. Since this fault lies with the application and rendering process(The Engine/GPU/Memory). The dump isn't able to compile all the commits. The information faults/errors are coming from Memory. The Red errors are coming from gpu driver dumps.

• So why does all this matter. Basically... Windows Error Reporting is having issues with Origin running 64 overlaying to the windows desktop with it's friends and invites etc. When that graphically causes a fault... which it is known to do. The GPU compensates and Windows attempts to render committing to memory an action. This results in a bad_module_info dump to the Error reporting service. Since the service handles that it takes it and reads that most info it needs is null and pretends like it's an Information result. However, this little tick of time that it takes to prioritize and figure that all out is enough for the Reporting service to forget 32/64 bit error handling and causes the memory commit to fail. Causing a full crash. Thus you have the weird world of Bad_Module_Info"

• "Also the behavior seems to be that you will see a few bad_module_info's around the time friends and stuff come online or offline etc. But won't always commit a failure to the application. This crash is happening after you start a game when the most graphical renders are happening to the system. Thus the error reporting is getting stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving causing it to break. Some slower systems will have issues later in the game and cause a crash. When the server is doing cleanup on the outiside of the circle and de-rendering things that can crash too"

• "Windows 7 received a similar update to creators and I don't know the specifics of that. I was going to revert to 1703 but due to development needs I have to be on current. Best answer is I can't answer that question specifically. This took about 6 custom programs to track down. My best advice to respawn is just to detect windows version and change the way renders are committed. It's a Source engine game and it should be able to slow it down a bit or consolidate then clear it's commits to memory before the game starts requiring on demand renders causing the crash"

CREDIT FOR THE ABOVE GOES TO: TheLumination. on the official Apex Legends support discord by TheLumination.

***The developers have yet to acknowledge they received this message so far as i can tell. ALl I got was a PM from a moderator saying they got it, but I get the impression they are just taking complaints and brushing them off, not actually passing the info to the people who can fix the game.
Message 266 of 826 (1,302 Views)

★★★ Newbie

crash everytime, just unnistal.

Message 267 of 826 (1,289 Views)

★★ Novice

I know for sure my issue is caused by when a certain threshold of players gets downed. It's the only time I get a D3D crash and that's the only type I'm getting. 

Message 268 of 826 (1,240 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I hope tommorow we gonna see a patch that's going to fix the amd fx6300 crash without error issue.
It's not the consumer job to try and find fixes, it's the developer..
Message 269 of 826 (1,155 Views)

★★★ Novice
I love it how the potential fixes list basically translates to "buy a separate PC to play Apex Legends only".
Crashes all the time, both after the first patch and the 2nd, with stupid executable "0x********* memory could not be written/read" errors.
Message 270 of 826 (1,056 Views)