Re: Coil Whine after last "performance" update

by DBWoodynz

Original Post

Coil Whine after last "performance" update

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hello

I'm getting heavy coil whine from my GPU/CPU after the last so-called "performance" update. I already limited my frame rate to 65-75 and still causing that annoying noise. I'm %100 sure

this didnt happened before, I'm a very careful person and with that noise I cant play the game. I checked everything on my system, AMD Control Center disabled triple buffering in frame

rate settings, I'm also trying to play the game in fullscreen with my default screen refresh rate, lowered graphic settings,enabled Vsync etc. Nothing worked, its clearly game's fault.

Any of you have the same problem? Open your PC case and listen carefully while you in a quiet place. Many people also saying animation errors.

BioWare have to fix this, coil whine means GPU or CPU rendering the game in very high frame rates (which I have no idea how that happens in my case) which causes heavy Power consumption from Power Supply Unit. This can damage my hardware, and I'm not going to play SWTOR unless BioWare gets their * together and start doing fully-functional patches.

If you folks have any idea to fix this, please let me know

Message 1 of 9 (3,299 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It could be a number of things....such as..

Time to clean your PC and Vcard of dust and re-grease / lube your fans.

You may be reaching a slightly higher temperature due to your Video Card's increased performance due to the update, ergo increasing your fan speed; You can adjust this manually if you like using things like MSI Afterburner and tweaking the fan speed.

It may just be the change in seasons and your room is now warmer due to either summer temperatures or the heating in your room for winter.

Message 2 of 9 (3,286 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Did you read my post carefully? It didnt happened before. I have very clean room with open window which my PC case standing right near the my room window. There's no way its dust or something like that because I cleaning my PC every week (fans,case,harddisk etc) Also there's heavy rain and storm in my location which cleaning my room atmoshere. There's no dust,heat in my room or in my Computer.  I have air blower as well to clean the dust in my Computer.

Please, if you going to advice cliche things, dont. I already know all those things you said and source of this problem is not my Computer.

I will probably wait the expansion patch, hopefully they do something about it. and other issues in game as well.

Message 3 of 9 (3,278 Views)

Champion (Retired)

ehhh quickly not caring.. as the 5 rigs here are fine.

Check your fan speeds if the noise changes when you increase them manually then the whine is from them, if it happens when your in a game then it is likely to do with your video card or cpu, both extremely easy to isolate ie: stress under load individually.

Message 4 of 9 (3,274 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Do you have mental problems or something? I already said it suddenly started to happen, right after patching completed- this means it must be something wrong with the patch itself. my fan speed is normal, just like in other games it runs pretty normal. And no, I dont use any software like MSI Afterburner. I'm using GPU-Z only for check my GPU temperatures/fans and they normal while I'm running the swtor.

And sure, 5 rigs. I also have 10 rigs more in my house. Using them one by one LOL.

I have also a good graphic card and CPU.

Message 5 of 9 (3,267 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You asked for any ideas to help fix it, he gave you ideas. It seems you've already decided what the issue is and that it's up to Bioware to fix. So I'm not sure what you want from anyone here. 

Message 6 of 9 (3,262 Views)

Champion (Retired)

This is clearly a "You" problem is what I am hearing along with a simple lack of manors; I guess your plan for the day is to sit there and stew. Vroom Vroom watch out for my lightsaber.. coming through.

Message 7 of 9 (3,261 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

First fact : Coil whine is hardware related (the inductors vibrate in their housings), typical for high-end products, more frequently and more intensely present on AMD products then nVidia.

It is also related to the vid card manufacturer.

Second fact : There were graphical improvements in the game that makes the GPU work harder (puts more stress on it then before). Notably Very High anti-aliasing and improved Shadows. Check back to the frst fact and see it coincide.

Third fact : No software actually causes a coil whine. The hardware does, due to "an error in conception". Test your card with FurMark, and enjoy the same coil whine. Play Far Cry 4 on Ultra settings, enjoy the coil whine.

My tip : RMA that vid card if you're stil under warranty.

Something to read on. BioWare does not produce hardware, and should be able to put a decent load on a vid card, who shud technically handle it WITHOUT coil whine.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67822-graphics-card-coil-whine-investi...

Message 8 of 9 (3,243 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Authority_delta wrote :

BioWare have to fix this, coil whine means GPU or CPU rendering the game in very high frame rates (which I have no idea how that happens in my case) which causes heavy Power consumption from Power Supply Unit. This can damage my hardware, and I'm not going to play SWTOR unless BioWare gets their * together and start doing fully-functional patches.

That's not coil whine. This is coil whine :

"Coil whine typically happens when a high amount of stress is put on the PWM, causing the inductors to vibrate within their housings."

Stop putting stress on your vid card by playing games = no more coil whine. RMA that card.

Message 9 of 9 (3,238 Views)