Re: Child account setup

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Child account setup

★★★ Newbie

I can not setup an account for my son. I have tried to follow the instructions on the website but they make no sense.It says to click on create account then enter his date of birth but you can't. You have to put in an email address which apparently has to be mine, but that just tells me I already have an account. If I put my son's email in, it takes us to the setup screen but will not let us complete it as he is too young. Can someone please let me have a step by step 'idiot's guide' before I totally lose the plot? HEEEELLLLLPPPP and thanks 

Message 1 of 18 (20,367 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@splitscreen76 Hi,

We recently updated the article for creating child accounts, can you give this another look?

The article is available here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-set-up-an-origin-account-for-my-child/

Please note that the "Create your EA account" link is at the very bottom of the login mask that comes up when you open the Origin Client.

Just to make sure, if you don't have the Origin Client yet,  you can download this file from here: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 2 of 18 (20,899 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@splitscreen76 Hi,

We recently updated the article for creating child accounts, can you give this another look?

The article is available here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-set-up-an-origin-account-for-my-child/

Please note that the "Create your EA account" link is at the very bottom of the login mask that comes up when you open the Origin Client.

Just to make sure, if you don't have the Origin Client yet,  you can download this file from here: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 18 (20,900 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You have to download the Origin client for you pc. When you launch the client you are given the option to create an account. As far as I am aware you cannot create a child's account from the website alone.

Message 3 of 18 (20,257 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Why do we have to download Origin to create a minor account? I don't download any apps or games onto my computer because I have very sensitive data on there.  My son just needs to be able to have and access an EA account to play games on his PlayStation.  What is the workaround here??

Message 4 of 18 (17,171 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

Message 5 of 18 (17,071 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Is there really no way to add a child account without downloading yet another program? This is crazy, it should be just filling out a web form as normal to create an account. I don't want to have to download yet another piece of local software running on my machine just to create an account. I agree with "one of the stupidest things I've ever seen" comment above. 

Message 6 of 18 (16,949 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I attempted to do this on my phone and it informs me that it is unable to create an account as they are not eligible. So again I'm back to this is ridiculous because they can't play a game unless I log them into my account.

Message 7 of 18 (16,388 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wish I'd see this forum before I purchased an EA game.  Won't make that mistake twice!!!

Sony requires an account for each person if you want them to each have their own gameplay, etc.  Makes sense.  They also have complex servers & gaming networks they need to support & maintain for our online play.  Makes sense we need to pay for that with our PS4 Plus accounts.

EA requires an account too... Not sure why, but let's just say it's for registering the game or anti-piracy, or some lame excuse like that.  Fair enough.  Then they require an additional account for every person who wants to play the game. They also force you to install a origin "thin client" app on your computer if you want to setup an underage kids account (note: This is NOT a thin client.  It's a full install program that is designed to capture hardware info, etc from your system.  They do this all under the premise of some sort of protection for the underage kid, but they have no business requiring the kids account to begin with, never mind the adults account.

I also had to disable parental controls on the PS4 for the kids to play the EA game.  None of the other games we've played do this, just EA.  EA tech support was unable to help sort through any of this and just blew me off and told me to talk to Sony about "sub-account setup".

I've already purchased the game and paid for it.  I'm paying Sony for online access to their multiplayer network. EA is just sticking their grubby hands in to force users to get their own accounts. Absolutely stupid and self-defeating.  I'm staying far away from EA.  Need to make a stand somewhere... I'm taking my EA game back for a refund and we won't play EA games.

Message 8 of 18 (15,668 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@EA_Nils wrote:

@splitscreen76 Hi,

Cheers,

Nils

Link does not work, why have you made it so restrictive for kids to play? 

Message 9 of 18 (15,530 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
Message 10 of 18 (15,520 Views)