Cannot play with roommate on same wifi

by Gm1k3

Original Post

Re: Unable To Play Together When Under Same Connection

★★★★ Apprentice
@CO2Emitter Thank you so much...this finally solved the Issue me and my son were having with disconnects and code:leaf errors.

Huge thumbs up for you sir.
Message 111 of 124 (11,416 Views)

★ Novice
@CO2Emitter THIS WORKED EVERYBODY LISTEN TO THIS MAN POST #73
Message 112 of 124 (11,253 Views)

Community Manager

@CO2Emitter wrote:

I fixed this! I went into my router's advanced settings and turned on port-triggering (not forwarding). See screens:

Service.jpgSettings.jpg

Glad that helped. Posting it again for visibility since it was buried halfway through the post. 

Blueberry.png
Message 113 of 124 (11,214 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am trying to find it but all i have is this(screenshot down attached),can someone please help me? Kindly Regards

Message 114 of 124 (11,182 Views)

Re: Cannot play with roommate on same wifi

★★★ Newbie
Spoiler
Same problem on PS4

I’m having the same problem with my PS4. If we are using the same internet, we can’t play together. 

Message 115 of 124 (10,958 Views)

★ Novice
@DawgoTheHutt How do you access the router to make the changes to the settings, through the nighthawk app or through the computer?
Message 116 of 124 (10,856 Views)

Re: Can't play with my brother

★★★ Newbie
  • I have finally figured out the issue. I have the answers but whoever is worthy must first face me in a game of ping pong.(face value)
Message 117 of 124 (10,785 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Easy Solution:

Let me first caveat this solution by saying I am no expert in dealing with manipulating the networks and designating static IP addresses or whatever. This solution has worked well for me and might be an easy way the other people like me to enjoying playing together in the same house/apartment.

The setup that has worked completely reliably for me was to have one Xbox hardwired via Ethernet cable directly to my router and have the second xbox hardwired directly to my modem. My modem is connected via a coax cable connected to the wall and my router is connected via Ethernet cable fed from the modem.

Also - I have moved since I originally had this setup and have had to deal with this issue without having a separate modem. The solution I have worked out now is slightly less reliable but it is simply to have two routers - one for each xbox to hardwire to. This works for ~15 games before requiring a restart for both systems but I've had some issues when in a voice chat party with the other xbox (my girlfriend sits next to me when we play so we just scream out loud instead of in a party to avoid this issue).

Hope this works for some of you!

Best,

C&T + B&B

Message 118 of 124 (10,414 Views)

Re: Can't play with people in the same house

★★★ Newbie

Hey there I've been having this issues for months and months where I can't play with my girlfriend on the same network (both wired or one wired, or both wireless). I finally solved it - it's all out your router (I don't know the technicals so I can only give you the 'regular person' fix). It sounds lame but buy a different router and try it again.

My main router is a Netgear AC 1750 (pretty substantial, $130, dual-band router) and I also have a spare that is a Netgear AC1000 (Basic, $60, dual-band).

My previous setup:

Wall-based Ethernet port >> Wired to AC 1750 >> Hardwire to My xbox one + wireless connection to a second xbox one (as I mentioned, other variations of wiring/wireless didn't solve the issue)

All I had to do to solve with issue was change routers. So that I could continue using the strong wifi from the AC1750, I rearranged my setup as follows:

Wall-based Ethernet port >> Wired to AC1000 >> Wired to 3 devices: 1) 1st xbox, 2) 2nd xbox, 3) AC 1750 (which then transmits wifi to my other devices)

With this setup I have had no issues and we both get loaded into games without issue.

Message 119 of 124 (8,685 Views)

Re: Can't play with people in the same house

Community Manager
@jdepenagmailcom Thanks for sharing what worked for you! Hope it helps others out too.
Blueberry.png
Message 120 of 124 (8,630 Views)