Cannot play with roommate on same wifi

by Gm1k3

Original Post

Disconnected when trying to play together on the same network.

★★★ Newbie

Whenever my son and I try to play Apex together one of us frequently gets kicked back to the main menu when trying to load in. We’re both playing on xbox on the same network. It’s very inconsistent. Sometimes it’s me, sometimes it’s him. Someyimes it’s both of us. Sometimes it works and we can usually play a few together in a row. But once it starts kicking one of us it’s impossible to launch into a game together. 

When we get kicked out it says the server timed out. 

we can play at the same time in different games with no issue. But if we party up to play more often than not it doesn’t work. I’ve tried multiple times to mess with my network and router settings and can’t seem to find a good fix. 

Message 101 of 124 (4,265 Views)

Re: Unable To Play Together When Under Same Connection

★★★ Apprentice

If you have to forward ports to a local ip then there's definitely something wrong with either your network or the games servers. 

Opening ports for outgoing connections is fair enough, but that's rarely needed. 

Network Address Translation (NAT) should find a free port on your router and translate your local source address to that NAT address.

By forwarding incoming ports to a local ip you limit communication on that port to that local device. 

Multiple people would theoretically still be able to play from the same network as forwarding shouldn't be needed and NAT should translate outgoing request to the game server with a random source port mapped to the local device.

The only reason why forwarding would work is because either the server or the local request uses the destination (remote) port as the source (local) port.

If NAT has failed and two local devices expect game data on the same port, then that would explain why you get kicked when playing together. 

Message 102 of 124 (4,197 Views)

Re: Cannot play with roommate on same wifi

★★★★★ Newbie
You magnificent *! Worked perfectly. Thanks!
Message 103 of 124 (4,163 Views)

★ Novice

I have the problem everyday when I play with my brother

Message 104 of 124 (4,162 Views)

Re: Unable To Play Together When Under Same Connection

★★★★★ Newbie
Just stating that I have the exact same issue. I can always play the first match. We get split after that.
Message 105 of 124 (4,123 Views)

Apex Legends - unable to play a game together using same router on ps4

★★★ Newbie

I have been having this issue where I can't play in the same lobby with my gf and we are going off of the same router with 2 lan cables connected from both of are playstation 4's, when we try to load into a game one of us will go into the game but the other will have a connection timeout, but it will let us play 2 different games at the same time off of the same router, I haven't been able to figure out the problem with this and if anyone has figured out some answers that would be very helpful

Message 106 of 124 (3,977 Views)

Why does Apex Legends have an issue with multiple players in the same household?

★★★ Newbie

It seems ever since my first match with my roommate we have been unable to get back into a game together ending up getting an error and one of us being left on the home screen. It's quite a bothersome ordeal due to the reason that we play a good majority of games together and have rarely had this issue.

Message 107 of 124 (3,944 Views)

★★★ Novice
Same
Message 108 of 124 (3,889 Views)

★★ Novice

having this problem. on ps4, and just, all of the suddon too, last week. we were fine  about two days ago this started..... 

Message 109 of 124 (3,728 Views)

★★ Novice

you ever get yours fixed. mine just started doing this two days ago, I thaught it was server problems with season 2 starting

Message 110 of 124 (3,728 Views)