Re: Wrong origin account linked with steam.

by sugarzoid

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't unlink Origin account and Steam account

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi. I don't use forums, so I apologize if this is formatted awfully.

Last night when Apex Legends was released on Steam, I accidentally linked the wrong Origin account to my Steam. I figured that it would be an easy fix, just go into my Origin account and unlink it, but that wasn't the case. First, I contacted EA help to try to unlink the two accounts. After waiting a while with false hope, I found out the person who was helping me could not unlink my accounts.

Let's call my main account "Account A" and my second account "Account B" to make things simple. I am posting this on account B.

As far as I understood, because I played Apex on account B, they couldn't unlink the accounts because it could mess with the game. Account B is only level 5, and I made it to play with a friend who doesn't play FPS games because I didn't want her to be in lobbies with players who spend most of their time playing the game. I was told to continue playing on account B, but the thing is: account A is level 300+, with limited time cosmetics and every single premium battle pass, along with every character unlocked. I'm not going to simply throw away that progress.

So, my next solution was to delete account B entirely. Surely if I completely delete it, it will unlink the two accounts, I thought. Someone from EA support called me, and informed me that even if the entire account is deleted, the two accounts will continue to be linked. He told me that they have been getting a lot of inquiries about this issue, and that at the moment they do not have a solution to this problem, but may have one in the future. He recommended posting on the forums, saying that it may speed up them working on this issue. So here I am, making a post on a forum I've never been to.

Just to be clear, I don't care about the progress I've made on account B. I don't care about Apex Legends on account B. Account B could be completely deleted and I wouldn't care, as I don't use it anymore, and only played it for a total of maybe 1-2 hours. No other games are owned on account B. For the time being, I am continuing to play Apex Legends on Origin on account A, but I would much prefer to play on Steam, as it is much more convenient for me.

Please, come up with a way to unlink these two accounts. The first person I talked to recommended I talk to steam support, but when I went to look at help specifically for Apex, they said they cannot help with games from other platforms or something like that, so steam cannot help me. I feel like it should be as simple as going to your account details where it mentions your linked accounts, and clicking an "unlink" button, as many other platforms have. Thank you for reading this if you have, as this is my last resort to getting my account unlinked.

Message 1 of 63 (53,255 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't unlink Origin account and Steam account

★★★ Newbie
Seems they have some kind of solution to the issue. I personally contacted them through Apex Legends -> Manage account -> Transfer between accounts. Be sure to use Live chat as your contact method.

View in thread

Message 12 of 63 (60,620 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

My brother is having the same issue, accidentally used the wrong email address, and now his steam account is permanently attached to this origin account?

Went through support 3 times, and spoke with a representative about deleting the origin account but it still hasn't solved his issue.  The fact that it took a single login with no confirmation is just plain out stupid, not to mention I've been reading other users have had their steam Email automatically used when their origin account is a separate email address.  That these can be paired but not unpaired is absolutely unbelievable.  If someone had access to my account (which has happened before, thankfully I have 2FA now) they could just arbitrarily gain access to my Apex Legends account and literally just permanently have it?  I'm hoping EA can do something about this ASAP, but for the time being it has killed his will to play and I no longer have my gaming buddy.  We were very excited to play and now we're waiting around for something that should be any easy fix.

Message 2 of 63 (53,164 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@DabOnthemH8erz I've scoured the forums looking for people with the same issue, and it seems there are quite the handful. One person was told that EA support is not allowed to unlink accounts by the Apex Game Team. I'm baffled that they weren't prepared for an issue as simple as this. It's well known that many people have "smurf" accounts, and it's very possible for someone to use the wrong login (as I did). My favorite part is that on the EA support website they have a notice about this issue, when they can't even do anything about it.

Message 3 of 63 (53,159 Views)

Wrong origin account linked with steam.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Is there any way to unlink this account from steam?

(The only game on this one was only Apex Legends anways)

I also can't seem to contact the Support and I've been waiting for a while now.

Thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 63 (52,638 Views)

★★★ Novice

same problem

Message 5 of 63 (52,629 Views)

Unlinking steam account

★★ Novice

Hi, I wanted to start play Apex Legends again as it was just relased on steam. But I have the wrong EA account linked to my steam account, I have been in contact with the advisors twice and they have both said that they are unable to unlink it. Frankly, this is ridiculous, I feel like this is such a small issue that should be able to be resolved easily. Where can I turn to get this issue resolved since the advisors are unable to help me?

Message 6 of 63 (52,592 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same problem, I think I'll just play some other games then

Message 7 of 63 (53,128 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@alfredtb2 If you contact support they're going to tell you that they are unable to unlink the accounts. Even if you try to delete the account that's linked, it will still be linked. I saw someone's post that mentioned the EA support people aren't allowed to unlink the accounts by the Apex Game Team, so I have no idea when this will be fixed. Sorry you're dealing with this as well.
Message 8 of 63 (52,622 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@sugarzoid In the apex legends community tab on steam there is also a discussion going on. Some people are saying the support did "delete a persona from your account" to fix the issue. So I m hoping they can for me as well. (Even if I have been waiting in chat for over an hour lol)
Message 9 of 63 (52,620 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@alfredtb2 I think this is what one support person tried to do for me, and he said he was unable to. Thanks for pointing me that way though, I'll look into it.
Message 10 of 63 (52,613 Views)