Can't reinstall my game.

by Noyl_37

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't reinstall my game.

★★★ Newbie

My game got broken yesterday for no reason, and trying to fix it i broke it totally. Now after launching launcher.exe nothing happens.

But when i am trying to launch installer from swtor.com/download it just sends me a message "Failed to get display name of a shell folder item". It can't see neither drive C:\ D:\ or E:\, printing the path manually gives nothing. Here is a screenshot.

I tried all the common solutions like rebooting PC, launching as administrator, checking PC for viruses, shutting antivirus down, etc.

Now i have no idea what to do next. Reinstall windows? But will it help? Everything else works nice on my PC, just SWTOR got screwed for no reason. Now i have my subscriber days getting billed for no reason and a free weekend with nothing to play.

Also let me throw a rock onto this forum. I wrote a bigger post about all my actions but it disappeared when i've added a screenshot through this button "Browse" in the corner.Teeth bared

Message 1 of 4 (1,322 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't reinstall my game.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I'd recommend to use the Launcher Repair Utility. It is meant to fix your game folder but it also works for a new installation. Unlike the installer, it doesn't create a desktop shortcut and start menu entry, but it will install the game correctly.

Download here: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe

By the way, if you've had the game installed for longer than 2 years, you probably had the non-streaming launcher. New installations automatically receive the BitRaider launcher which has some bugs so I recommend turning it off. To disable BitRaider, create a new text file in your main SWTOR directory, add the following text:

{ "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true
}

and then save it as "launcher.settings" (with no .txt at the end).

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,517 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I'd recommend to use the Launcher Repair Utility. It is meant to fix your game folder but it also works for a new installation. Unlike the installer, it doesn't create a desktop shortcut and start menu entry, but it will install the game correctly.

Download here: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe

By the way, if you've had the game installed for longer than 2 years, you probably had the non-streaming launcher. New installations automatically receive the BitRaider launcher which has some bugs so I recommend turning it off. To disable BitRaider, create a new text file in your main SWTOR directory, add the following text:

{ "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
}

and then save it as "launcher.settings" (with no .txt at the end).

Message 2 of 4 (1,518 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks mate! Repair utility fixed it in no time. Also made launcher.settings.txtEmbarrassed

Message 3 of 4 (1,306 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Great to hear! But please rename the file from "launcher.settings.txt" to "launcher.settings" or it will not work. If there already is a "launcher.settings" file, first close the launcher, then just open this file with Notepad and edit the following two lines:

Find

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

and replace it with

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

Also, find

, "bitraider_disable": false

and replace it with

Of course, you can also just leave it as is, BitRaider is not broken for everyone so you may not run into issues with it.

Message 4 of 4 (1,297 Views)