Can't get a game in any mode and ping site fixes don't work

by SnowmanHD

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't get a game in any mode and ping site fixes don't work

★★ Pro

@EA_Atic @EA_Ataashi

Let me start by saying how nice it was for the brief period of time we've had when this game worked relatively well and consistently.

I was peed off with the milestone bug back at the start of the year, hacked off with the missing credits issue that followed closely after, and yes I spat my dummy out over rank 50 bug and lack of communication from EA that persisted for a long, long, long (such a long) time and ended in me quitting the game for two months.

But they all got sorted (eventually) and things started to look up...

But now this... The game is unplayable. Literally. If ever something defined a game breaking issue then this is it!

I (and countless others presumably) haven't been able to play a game in any online mode for days now. I have read the reports and threads by other players/guides/community managers/advisors, and have tried the many possible temporary fixes suggested and still nothing works.

I am on Xbox, and my default ping site is UK (15m/s) with the next best being Ireland (24m/s). But that is irrelevant because the matchmaking either puts me in an empty lobby or if I'm lucky i get to join one with 1 or 2 other players who understandably get bored of waiting after 10 or so minutes and then quit the lobby. But i suppose it's nice to see that it's not just me wasting my time trying to play the game.

I don't pretend to know how deep the problem lies but do hope there is some kind of high priority fix in place for this? I know it's happening across the platforms and across the world so you would hope so, but then again the track record for resolutions to issues for this game isn't exactly great is it!?

On the up side i can still pick up my daily crate and see what challenges I'm supposed to be able to complete. Raised eyebrow

Hope someone responds with something useful.

Message 21 of 264 (9,360 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't get a game in any mode and ping site fixes don't work

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hi everyone!

Since at this point the whole thread might be quite difficult to read, I will post a quick summary for any newcomers.

Main issue 

Game can incorrectly connect you to a random pingsite, which results in disconnections and matchmaking issues. All platforms are affected.

Possible workarounds

1. Try to disconnected your device from the Internet network while being in the game menu, so the "Lost connection to EA servers" message pops out. Then try to reconnect your PC/Xbox/PS4 and check if you're using the correct ping site now.

2. Xbox One only - deleting cloud saves

• On Home, pull the right trigger, and then press A to open My games and apps.
  • Highlight the game, press the Menu button on your controller, and then select Manage game.
  • Scroll to the right, highlight the saved data for your gamertag under Saved Data, and then press A on your controller.
  • Choose Delete everywhere.
  • Restart Console.

3. PlayStation 4 only - deleting profile file

• Navigate to Settings > Storage > Game Data
  • Delete SWBF2 Profile file (~35MB)
  • Restart console.

Any fixes?

As it's been mentioned by F8RGE already, we have a fix scheduled for the August update, which is due to arrive on August 29th.

This post has been marked as accepted solution ONLY for better visibility.

/Ataashi

View in thread

Message 171 of 264 (10,167 Views)

All Replies

Games default me to random ping site, can't choose closest ping site

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

After the new update, somehow my new default ping location is ohio, wich has worse ms than my last default ping site(virginia). The worst is that i almost can't play a game in the new ping site. Joining takes a long time, and when i do theres nobody in the lobby. Everytime. Even when i try to switch to virginia, it defaults either to ohio or the other ping sites. My brother's default ping site is still virginia and we share the same ps4. Oregon is the server i use now. Please help me, i was really enjoying the game Standard smile

Message 1 of 264 (9,818 Views)

Re: Games default me to random ping site, can't choose closest ping site

★★★★★ Novice
im exactly the same. my ping is aus-syd but always is on hong kong. been trying to play for 3 days now but havent played one single game. its convenient this problem started immediatley after i updated
Message 2 of 264 (9,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem.  The game is unplayable on multiplayer since the update on ps4.  I have deleted and reinstalled the game, which did not help at all.  Please fix this!

Message 3 of 264 (9,771 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey Guys i got in touch with ea and ive got my normal ping and playing again. Im on XBOX1 so might work for ps4.

XBOX one
CLEAR ALTERNATE MAC ADDRESS
1. Go to Settings > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternative Mac Address > Clear
2. After this shut down the console, disconnect the power cord from the back of the Xbox One and wait two minutes.
3. Once the two minutes have passed, plug the power back in and wait for the power bricks light to go from White to Orange.
4. Once the brick is Orange, start your console.
DELETE CLOUD SAVES
1. On Home, pull the right trigger, and then press A to open My games and apps.
2. Highlight the game, press the Menu button on your controller, and then select Manage game.
3. Scroll to the right, highlight the saved data for your gamertag under Saved Data, and then press A on your controller.
4. Choose Delete everywhere.
5. Restart Console

CLEAR PERSISTENT STORAGE AND POWERCYCLE XBOX ONE
If console is wired connected, remove Ethernet cable. If console is wireless, Go to Settings > Network > Select their Network > Disconnect.
Once it is back on, press Menu button > Settings > Blu Ray & Disc > Persistent Storage > Clear Persistent Storage three times.
                          Follow these steps to power cycle your Xbox One Console: 
1. While the console is on, press and hold the console's Xbox button for 5 seconds. 
2. The console will power down. 
3. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn your console back on by again pressing the Xbox button.

i did the first two. and when u delete cloud saves u do not lose your progress, you just have to reassign your star cards to all troops and heroes. hope this helps

Message 4 of 264 (9,742 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for sharing your solution @simmoslatts Standard smile And I'm sorry that we didn't pick up this topic earlier Frown

It would be great if we could get a few more confirmations that those steps are indeed working.

Thanks in advance!

/Ataashi

Message 5 of 264 (9,731 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I did the first 2 steps minus pulling the power cord and it seemed to work. My normal ping site is Sydney (17 ms) but was getting Dubai (497 ms)
Message 6 of 264 (9,698 Views)

★★ Pro

@EA_Ataashi I'm on PS4 and power cycle, restoring licenses, re installing game, deleting data etc has not worked. The only thing I am able to do to connect to a game is to launch a search then change my ping site and sit on that page until it launches. It will launch to the ping site I do not want. Upon returning to menu it will then restore my closest ping site and would work until returning to the menus again. Until yesterday this was working to get my preferred ping site but as of today even that has stopped working. It only connects to empty lobbies on the UK ping site and therefore leaves me no choice but to connect to a ping site further away in order to play the game. That's as well as going through the above process every time I want to connect to a game. Please tell me there is something you guys can do by way of hotfix or something. 😵

Message 7 of 264 (9,661 Views)

★★★ Novice
Does anyone know what the PS4 equivalent of this would be?
Message 8 of 264 (9,644 Views)

★ Guide

Can confirm this works for Xbox 

Message 9 of 264 (9,591 Views)