Can't connect to Apex Legends server while on the same network

by ovrdose28

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't connect to Apex Legends server while on the same network

★★★★★ Novice

A disclaimer, I know that there is already a thread going on that addresses the same issue, but so far none of the solutions there has worked for me.

Hello, 

I am not able to play with my brother while we are in a party together. If my brother invites me to a party, I will be able to connect to the game, but my brother gets timed out. If I invite my brother to the party, the opposite happens. We had similar issues on R6 Siege, but it was fixed when I used a wifi adapter while he was connected to the router via ethernet cable. I have tried this "fix" for Apex Legends, to no avail.

Various other solutions we tried:

1. Turning off UPNP on the router, and turning off SSDP discovery and UPNP Device Host on both PCs.

2. Tried to port forward, but I have read that it won't work since I have to forward the ports on both PCs, which is not possible since we have 1 public IP address (not sure how to confirm this). 

There were some other potential solutions that seemed ridiculous to try. One apparent "fix" was to put one of the computers on DMZ. This is extremely dangerous as it exposes that PC to an array of viruses from the internet. They have also suggested using a VPN, but I am not going to subscribe to a VPN provider just to get this game to work.

I am not sure what is causing this problem, and I have went through archives of similar problems on other games like Diablo 3 and R6. This issue needs to be addressed by the developers, how can a game that emphasises team work not allow two people on the same network to join a server? Seems silly to me how other games like Overwatch, CS:GO, Dota 2 and even Fortnite does not have this problem at all, and yet a game that was released on 2019 still has a problem that were present in games published years ago.

Thank you before hand if any solutions are provided in this thread, and I'm sorry if some of the things I said are incorrect. Please point out the mistakes and I will address them. This game has so much potential and I would love to play it with my brother. Please, the developers have to address this.

Message 1 of 53 (68,991 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't connect to Apex Legends server while on the same network

★★★★ Novice

I fixed this! I went into my router's advanced settings and turned on port-triggering (not forwarding). See screens:

Service.jpg

Settings.jpg

View in thread

Message 24 of 53 (66,931 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie
In cs:go you can change the clientport by using +clientport 27006 in the launch option, but i don't know how do i do it in origin as i am new
Message 2 of 53 (68,756 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, but we tried this and it did not work for us

Message 3 of 53 (68,613 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

For those who are wondering, we can't connect only when we are at the same party. When we are playing at the same time, but not with the same party, we are able to play separately

Message 4 of 53 (68,610 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Same problem here, tried all that same BS, still no go.  I get so sick off this garbage.  How do you program a game and not take basic networking in to account? where are the client port options?

Message 5 of 53 (68,592 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

if you are referring to post #2, you can open quick launch settings by going to origin, clicking apex legends, pressing the cog icon for settings, then advanced options. But this is pointless, still can't play on the same party

Message 6 of 53 (68,586 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the same problem, its crazy how games now a days have this problem. * developers.

Message 7 of 53 (68,186 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

no, I am not referring to someone saying how you can change the port in another game. 

If you can change the port the game uses to connect, you can then set up port forwarding rules so that the clients will not talk over each other.  If it is a NAT issue as I believe, it will fix the problem.   The problem I have is that typing random stuff in to a undocumented command line is not my idea of a good time.

What we needs is a tech to post what port is used by the game client to connect to the game server, and if it can be changed per client. that is the part that isn't working. 

I don't needs a list of every port that the Origin launcher and Apex front end uses, as that all seems to be working ok at least. I get some random disconnects but no more then others are getting playing with people not on the same LAN.

Message 8 of 53 (67,189 Views)

★★★ Newbie

First thing I did to resolve this issue was, join a game. Then I opened Task Manager by right clicking the taskbar. If you have not done so already you may need to expand in order to see all tabs/details. Find the APEX Legends in the Processes tab. Right click and go to details. Get the number in the PID column. You may need to add the PID column if it does not show up in the details tab. Using that PID in either command prompt or powershell enter the below where after FINDSTR is the PID for your running APEX legends. You will probably have more results. What I found in common on both computers on my LAN were TCP/3216, UDP/37005, UDP/37015.

As with other suggestions now log into your router and configure port triggering. I did not have to set up any port forwarding. I created three services, 1 for each port and enabled for all devices. 

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> netstat -ano | FINDSTR 12796
TCP 127.0.0.1:39237 127.0.0.1:3216 ESTABLISHED 12796

UDP [::]:37005 *:* 12796
UDP [::]:37015 *:* 12796

Message 9 of 53 (66,441 Views)

★★★ Newbie

wtf is this

Message 10 of 53 (64,077 Views)