Re: Can't Pay Through Debit Card

by Dollymixtures

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't Pay Through Debit Card

★★★ Apprentice

I have been paying for purchases on Origin for years using a debit card, but recently I've been getting a 'Whoops' error every time I've tried. I have just been told by an online advisor that Origin no longer accepts debit card payments from England.

Firstly, is is true that Origin no longer accepts debit in my country?

Secondly, I have no other payment options, so does that mean I am prevented from buying on Origin permanently?

Message 1 of 6 (716 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Dollymixtures Has this been occurring for some time?

At the minute our team is aware that some people are having issues with purchases and are working on a solution. 

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (774 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Dollymixtures Has this been occurring for some time?

At the minute our team is aware that some people are having issues with purchases and are working on a solution. 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 6 (775 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Please, I'm just looking for a simple answer. Surely someone must know if debit cards now blocked in England or not?

Edit: I wrote this reply before you replied, so apologies. To answer your question, I've only been made aware of this problem today when I tried to make a purchase. I know I bought something off Origin about a month ago with no problems. I am gathering that rather than debit cards being blocked in England, this is just a technical issue?

Message 3 of 6 (682 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This has been a problem for me with EA since Origina launched.  It is so bad it cant even process a credit card transaction on any of my credit cards.  Steam, GoG, Amazon are all fine but Origin is an abomination.   If one wanted an example of how to damage shareholder value, not to mention customer service, Origin is it.

Try buying through Amazon and using the key. For me it has been the only way.

There was a reddit thread and other stuff all over the place about this. Seems to be either an issue with the country they base their payment system in or because Origin is just pointless middleware and never really added any value to begin with.   I wish they would go back to a more competent platform. Steam would be great. 

PS I am English also.  I have cards from the UK (doesnt work HSBC and another bank) and I also live between 2 other countries.   This apparently blows Origins mind because no one actually thought that people might travel, move house or perhaps have multiple residences.   As mindblowing as that sounds.  Its like steam about 10 years ago.

Message 4 of 6 (641 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've never had a problem like this through any other platform either. I didn't even know it could be a thing.

The debit problem was eventually resolved for me and I made my purchase, however, if you care for another reason as to why Origin is a mess, as soon as I installed the new game I bought I discovered the servers for it are now inactive effectively rendering the game unplayable. A good question to ask would be why sell something you are obviously going to have to refund almost immediately? You'd think the answer would be simple, but apparently not for EA. It makes absolutely no sense and has left me really cautious about buying anything on Origin. They're really not doing themselves any favours.

Message 5 of 6 (615 Views)

Debit card

★★ Novice

Just wanted to ask if Debit Card is supported to buy games from Origin? I'm from Pakistan.

Message 6 of 6 (582 Views)