Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can’t Load Game on Xbox One - Error reading pak file

★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Please specify your platform model: Microsoft Xbox One S
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Speeedkilz
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible: n/a
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? What Legend? I’ve been unable to start a game for 2 days!
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? n/a
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Never got to a game.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Trying to start a game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? n/a
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? None I turned on my Xbox, it had updated overnight, and it was like this.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) October 13, 2020
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Pretty severe, I can’t play at all.
What happens when the bug occurs? I can get in the lobby, but when I hit Y to queue up (or if I leave it sitting in the lobby for a few seconds), the game closes with the following error screen:

Error reading pak file “R:\/assets/11/promo/dl_promo_2020_10_13.rpak” - Error: Short read.

What should be happening instead? The game should run, queue me up for a match, and let me die... I mean kill!

Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don’t know, I can’t seem to find where anyone else is having this problem on Xbox... so come to my house and have a look? 

Message 1 of 3 (820 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can’t Load Game on Xbox One - Error reading pak file

★ Novice

I fixed it!!!

I don’t know how this will translate to PC but, for Xbox One, I deleted the saved data, rebooted my console, and it worked!

None of my abysmal stats were lost either!

If there’s a PC equivalent of deleting saved data, do that! Also, in my research on this problem, I ran across some old threads about PC issues of this type and the solutions seemed to center around renaming the file in question, then “repairing” the game. I haven’t done PC gaming in years, though, but if you search “Error reading pak file” you should find the threads I’m talking about.

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (757 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice
@Isoldei I have exactly the same error ( a little bit different file path: ...\user\SAVEDG~1/Respawn/Apex/assets/11/promo/dl_promo_2020_10_13.rpak)
On PC platform...!!!
Message 2 of 3 (778 Views)

★ Novice

I fixed it!!!

I don’t know how this will translate to PC but, for Xbox One, I deleted the saved data, rebooted my console, and it worked!

None of my abysmal stats were lost either!

If there’s a PC equivalent of deleting saved data, do that! Also, in my research on this problem, I ran across some old threads about PC issues of this type and the solutions seemed to center around renaming the file in question, then “repairing” the game. I haven’t done PC gaming in years, though, but if you search “Error reading pak file” you should find the threads I’m talking about.

Message 3 of 3 (758 Views)