Re: CPU limited with i5 8600k ... WTF DICE

by N4v1s

Original Post

CPU limited with i5 8600k ... DICE

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hello,

I switched my previous GC (RX 480 4 GB) for a RTX 2060 SUPER FE. 

Since this switch my processor reach 100 % in game ! I never got this problem before ...

Could it be possible to fix the game because the problem is not only for me ... it's not a configuration problem because 8600 k and RTX 2060 SUPER is more than enough to play a game. 

Message 1 of 15 (1,845 Views)

★★ Pro
@Ff3NiXx What resolution and graphic settings are you playing with? BFV is a really cpu intensive title. And what is the problem you are having? The cpu running at 100% isn´t a problem in itself unless the gpu is sitting at idle or other problems occure.
Message 2 of 15 (1,824 Views)

★★ Guide

Hi,

Mixture High / Ultra / Low 1080P screen. 

I know it's a very intensive CPU game, BUT with my RX i got better performances. 

100 % is a problem when you have too many information to treat like explosions / fire / destruction. It may cause FPS drop... 

Message 3 of 15 (1,816 Views)

★★ Pro
@Ff3NiXx When the performance is lower, than it was with your RX480, there is a problem. What is the usage on your 2060 when gaming?
You should try playing around with the ingame setting, especially DX11/DX12 and the FFR. The game does run differently with every combination of hardware, so you need to find the best settings for you. Standard smile
Message 4 of 15 (1,812 Views)

★★ Guide

It's really crazy to optmize settings when you are playing a Battlefield game. It's the only one where we have to do some stuff to get the best performance... 

My GPU usage can't reach 100 % due to 100 % CPU usage. 

One real thing is: Dice need to optimize the game for ressource consumption. 

I'm not the only one to get this annoying problem. Guys with i7 or i9 can't reach 100% usage due to bad optimization ! 

Message 5 of 15 (1,807 Views)

★★ Pro

I know that you gpu obviously doesnn´t have a 100% usage. It is still important to know how high it really is. When you have a really low usage, you should play around with your settings as I said before. If it is quiet high there is another problem.

Message 6 of 15 (1,805 Views)

★★ Guide

Humm ??? 

GPU usage need to reach 100% usage to get the best performance in a video game. 

If you are getting like 20% there is a problem yes. It is not the other way around. 

Message 7 of 15 (1,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I don´t think you really understand what i mean. Standard smile

There are two possible problems in your situation:

1. Your CPU usage is at 100% and you GPU usage is at 85-90% or even as low as 40% (I had that problem when BFV came out). In that case Your problems occure due to you GPU no being used to its full potential. The solution for this you can probably find in your settings as I said before. I had to change to DX11 and FFR on for my GPU to start working properly. This might be different in your case, so just try different combinations of these settings.

2. Your CPU as well as your GPU usage is really high (95% or higher). In this case there has to be a different problem, when you´re still getting lower FPS than you did with the RX card.

For this reason I´m asking what your GPU usage really is. Standard smile

Message 8 of 15 (1,781 Views)

★★ Guide

I'm playing DX12 ON FFR OFF RenderAheadLimit set up to 2 and i fixed pre rendrered frame virtual to 2 into Nvidia panel. 

My GPU usage is 70% + in game. 

It's not really smooth insofar as i have 100% CPU usage. 

I tried to cap FPS to 100 to reduce CPU usage. It works but i get suttering / tearing. 

I tried VSYNC it's really smooth, but i have 10 ms more for frametime (6.5 without VSYNC) corresponding to a greater input lag. 

Message 9 of 15 (1,776 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Pro

I see you did put a lot of thought in your settings, but with changing the hardware you have to go over all of those again. So try changing to DX11 and FFR on, remove the renderaheadlimit and the pre redered frame limit in the control panel and most importantly try different combinations of these settings. I know this is a tedious process, but it might work fine in the end when you find the right settings for you new setup. Standard smile

Message 10 of 15 (1,769 Views)