Original Post

Accepted Solution

C&C side menu with build options not visible

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

EDIT June 7th - Original post below edit
Summary till this point:

Problem

• Side bar in game present but not visible. Construction items only show text. Money and power counters sort of visible. Map becomes visible in side bar when the needed building is placed.
  • Settings are not completely visible. Some settings are missing their 'checkbox'.
  • Difficulty bar only shows text
  • Some dialogs, like the exit dialog, has no background.

Facts

• Problem occurs in Windows 10 and 7
  • Problem occurs in Steam- and Origin client
  • Problem occurs on devices with required specifications
  • Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert runs smoothly on devices with topic problem
  • Integrity check result about two files also occurs on environments with no problems

• No solution when re-installing
  • No solution when run as administrator
  • No solution when enabling another resolution or compatibility

Possible solutions to try out by others, not working for me though:

• Update or re-install VC++ Redistributables (Microsoft - search Google)
  • Set GPU as dedicated graphics unit for game in GPU control panel

Personally I think this should be fixed by the game studio because the game itself plays very smoothly without any further problems. The visuals / assets / graphics for the side bar and some dialog and menu graphics should work as well as the rest of the game. It does not make any logic these graphics demand a different setup than the main game itself. I hope someone from EA or Petroglyph Games pick this up and reply to this.

Original post

Hey everyone,

When I play the game with the new graphics mode or old mode the side bar is not visible. I can only see the names of the structures and the hint text when I hover over the area.

Playing in windowed mode or changes in resolution (default: 1600 x 900) does not have any effect.

This also occurs in Red Alert. I noticed that some menu dialogs and menu items are invisible too. For example there are no checkboxes visible next to the options like the Graphics options.

Windows 10 and playing the game with Steam.

Does someone has any idea what this could be? I hope so because I was ready for a real nostalgia game trip.

Message 1 of 62 (5,552 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: C&C side menu with build options not visible

[ Edited ]
Hero

It generally just means your graphics card does not meet minimum requirements.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1213210/discussions/0/2290590708532585930/?ctp=2#c2290590708536049954

Though, specifically, the issue appears to be DirectX 11 compatibility:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1213210/discussions/0/2290590708532585930/?ctp=3#c2442587820561950049

Note that some graphics cards claim to support DirectX 11, but don't really support it fully. Make sure you have a card that properly, completely supports DirectX 11.

If your computer has an on-board graphics card, check your control panel and make sure the C&C Remaster isn't using that one instead of your actual high performance card.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1213210/discussions/0/2290590708532585930/?ctp=2#c2290590708536734321

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 57 of 62 (5,527 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Have you tried verifying the file in Steam / repairing the file in Origin?

carbonic signature

Message 2 of 62 (5,490 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I tried to repair the file in origin but it still exists

Message 3 of 62 (5,449 Views)

Hero

Have you tried pressing ctrl+s ?

That hides and shows the menu.

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 62 (5,444 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's not just the menus, at least not on my computer.  The are other things missing, for example you can adjust the game speed under "options" but you can't see the bar that indicates the games speed (you're toggling something invisible).  Everything on the options menu has that problem.

Message 5 of 62 (5,437 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@ElitianNL Yep mine too. It’s still playable but not great.
Message 6 of 62 (5,434 Views)

★ Novice

Mine too

Message 7 of 62 (5,429 Views)

★ Pro

This issue doesn't exist for me, and by the look of it, I think I can see roughly what caused it for you.

Upon initial inspection, it appears to have not loaded the UI correctly. I've seen this happen before on Generals Zero Hour, and it was caused by the assets having been removed otherwise not loaded. In my case back then, it was a damaged asset, and a reinstall fixed it. The fact the Cash Ticker is still present means the asset wasn't loaded. In original CnC95, this would happen fairly commonly with Windows 10 systems and the game would simply fail to load all together. The fact the game loaded in this case is actually funny, as it appear the asset responsible for this hasn't loaded.

It should be said, I'm not an expert, so take all of that with a pinch of salt. However, I believe that it's Windows 10 that's actually the route of your problems here. If you can, try installing the game to a Windows 7 system, and see if it happens there, chances are, it won't.

A possible solution:

-Scan your computer for Viruses

-Update anything that is out-of-date (namely the Graphics Drivers)

-Run the game directly from your Directory and run as Admin

-Reinstall the game

-Clear the Origin Cache and check the Registry if you are able to (this may resolve anything that caused the installation to fail the first time, and it will force Origin to validate all of the game files, it should detect the problem by that point)

If that works, then great, but don't expect miracles out of me.

As I said, I'm not an expert, I'm just using what I've experienced previously.

Message 8 of 62 (5,392 Views)

★★ Novice

mine too :-(

Message 9 of 62 (5,287 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have tried this with no luck. I think the problem is deeper because in the main menu, for example, there are no sub windows in the sub menus and no check boxes in the graphics settings. Literally they are there and clickable but invisible

Message 10 of 62 (5,284 Views)