Re: Blurry map-related graphics (cliffs, trees, explosion craters, ore/tiberium)

by A-Bizzy-B

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Blurry map-related graphics (cliffs, trees, explosion craters, ore/tiberium)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Hello all, I am encountering a weird issue with the remasters. Everything seems to be working great so far, but when playing with the Remastered graphics, all the textures and map-related * are blurred, as if they were down-scaled and then upscaled again. When zooming in you can actually see how blurred they are, to the point of being extremely fuzzy.

The weird part is, that all units (infantry and vehicles) and buildings look fine, from all players. I've tested this in skirmish mode in both Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, and the problem is exactly the same in both, and switching back and forth from Remastered to Classic graphics does not change the issue with the Remastered graphics mode (the Classic graphics look fine).

Below here you can see some screenshots: 2 examples from Tiberian Dawn, and one from Red alert. All were taken at the maximum zoomed-in level. Note how the blurry Tiberium, Blossom Tree, ore, tree and cliff graphics contrast with the high quality units and buildings. To check them at full resolution, right click on them and open them in a separate tab.

I am playing on what I understand is a relatively low resolution monitor 1366x768, and I really hope that this is not intended behaviour, more so given that units and buildings look fine (and great). I am playing on a laptop with dedicated GPU, but I have yet to extensively test the GPU usage (and which one is being used, the dedicated or integrated one). For now, as far as performance is concerned, the game runs flawlessly and without major slowdowns or other issues on 1vs1 skirmish missions.

I'm attaching my General and Graphics settings from Tiberian Dawn in case that's useful. I've used exactly the same settings for the Red Alert screenshot.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 16 (2,339 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Blurry map-related graphics (cliffs, trees, explosion craters, ore/tiberium)

★★★★★ Newbie

However, I have tested this issue further and found out that, indeed, this issue is connected to what GPU you're using.

The images above were taken when my laptop was using the integrated GPU for the game. I've tested this using MSI Afterburner to see what GPU was being used and, indeed, the issue happened again in both games.

I've then fiddled a little with Windows 10 options and have manged to get the Remastered Collection to use my dedicated GPU card. And, lo and behold, all map-related assets now look fine. There's still some blurriness but it's barely noticeable even at max zoom at my resolution, which means it's good enough and nowhere near as annoying as before. It sounds like to me that the game has some sort of automatic process that based on the capabilities of the currently used GPU decides which quality of the assets it will use for the gameplay.

This makes sense all things considered, but still, I would have liked the option to choose what quality I want rather than having the game decide for myself; at least now I know how it works. Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn both display with improved map graphics when I'm using the dedicated GPU, and this remained consistent for the few hours of campaign, skirmish and quickmatches that I've played until now.

The only other issue I got was a skirmish game where there were no gpx displayed in Remastered mode (no smoke, no flames, no projectile trails, no tank shell explosion, no corpses in Red Alert, absolutely no effect whatsoever). I have the game saved and it's a 8 player skirmish match where I got low frame rate, so at first I guessed that it was a problem due to my low end hardware, but testing on a different map the issue didn't happen again: despite still getting low fps due to the large map and amount of AI players and units, all gpx and other effects displayed correctly. It also didn't happen again when starting a second skirmish with 8 players on the same map, but it does show up again when loading the save game for that bugged match. It does sound like this one is unrelated to the blurry game map issue.

View in thread

Message 4 of 16 (2,257 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

I think that it's just your Laptop.

I noticed those are Laptop Resolutions you've got listed, maybe 1366x768 is just too low maybe, I don't know for sure. I'm on 1600x900 and I don't get any blurriness.

Message 2 of 16 (2,317 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@zoolex I thought so, however the fact that units and buildings look fine makes it seem weird. I mean, why would the rest of the map look so low-quality when units and buildings, as well as gfx (explosions, bullets, flames) look fine?
Message 3 of 16 (2,263 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

However, I have tested this issue further and found out that, indeed, this issue is connected to what GPU you're using.

The images above were taken when my laptop was using the integrated GPU for the game. I've tested this using MSI Afterburner to see what GPU was being used and, indeed, the issue happened again in both games.

I've then fiddled a little with Windows 10 options and have manged to get the Remastered Collection to use my dedicated GPU card. And, lo and behold, all map-related assets now look fine. There's still some blurriness but it's barely noticeable even at max zoom at my resolution, which means it's good enough and nowhere near as annoying as before. It sounds like to me that the game has some sort of automatic process that based on the capabilities of the currently used GPU decides which quality of the assets it will use for the gameplay.

This makes sense all things considered, but still, I would have liked the option to choose what quality I want rather than having the game decide for myself; at least now I know how it works. Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn both display with improved map graphics when I'm using the dedicated GPU, and this remained consistent for the few hours of campaign, skirmish and quickmatches that I've played until now.

The only other issue I got was a skirmish game where there were no gpx displayed in Remastered mode (no smoke, no flames, no projectile trails, no tank shell explosion, no corpses in Red Alert, absolutely no effect whatsoever). I have the game saved and it's a 8 player skirmish match where I got low frame rate, so at first I guessed that it was a problem due to my low end hardware, but testing on a different map the issue didn't happen again: despite still getting low fps due to the large map and amount of AI players and units, all gpx and other effects displayed correctly. It also didn't happen again when starting a second skirmish with 8 players on the same map, but it does show up again when loading the save game for that bugged match. It does sound like this one is unrelated to the blurry game map issue.

Message 4 of 16 (2,258 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

I also have a similar issue/bug. Only, it seems on 8 player matches in Red Alert. No explosions or effects like flames show. It seems quite rare as this is the only post I have seen mentioning this issue. I am on a 7th Gen i7 Laptop with 1050GTX. The rest of the game (both TD & RA) runs great. Only in 8 player matches does it happen. Maybe 6 player but I would have to check.

Message 5 of 16 (2,123 Views)

★ Pro
@A-Bizzy-B
At least 8-Players maps will run, though are you able to fill all Player Locations?

Mine keeps crashing whenever I fill all 8 spots. Using; Random Spawning, Human Player Location Designation with AI Random Spawning, Designating all Players to a Location. Nothing works, the game just crashes. Original Map / Custom Map makes no difference.
Message 6 of 16 (2,099 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I haven't suffered any crashes and for the most part the game runs well. I had it just now though on a 8 player multiplayer game that I lost all effects again. (No explosions, Cant see what is in a crate when it is opened. etc) I wonder if it is something to do with lag. It was a very laggy game due to one particular player on the opposing team. Once he was out of the game things sped up again. Although the explosions did not. I think i have only noticed it happen on Red Alert. Haven't seen anyone else mention it really. I wonder if it is just me and my laptop. Seems strange though. I don't have any problems with any other more demanding games.

Message 7 of 16 (2,080 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I just watched the replay and all explosions and effects are present so it seems to only happen in Red alert, 8 player, live online games. I wonder what is causing it.

Message 8 of 16 (2,071 Views)

Hero

@Puntolory wrote:

It sounds like to me that the game has some sort of automatic process that based on the capabilities of the currently used GPU decides which quality of the assets it will use for the gameplay.

It's intrinsic in the file format, actually. Modding showed that those types of graphics are stored in DirectDraw Surface files, and that file format always contains downscaled versions of itself for quick texture quality switching.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 9 of 16 (2,040 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Nyerguds do you think my problem with the explosions etc, is to do with my PC or could it be something else? 

Message 10 of 16 (2,005 Views)