Original Post

Blinding (mostly) white screen on Elaaden after looking at map

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: Mass Effect Andromeda
Platform:PC
What edition do you have? Deluxe Edition
Physical Disc or Digital version? Digital Based Install
Summarize your bug Switching from the map back to the game world on Elaaden produces a painfully blinding white screen temporarily then goes away. Turning down the brightness doesn't really do anything. Neither does turning off HDR or leaving it on auto. Also seems to happen in the shade when you spawn at the forward station. Doesn't seem to happen in dark areas of the game like the Remnant vaults.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How long has this issue been happening? Always Happens
Please select your region North America
Run the www.speedtest.net network benchmark and post your upload and download speeds. 178 Mbps down, 15 Mbps up
What company provides your internet service? Shaw
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When on Elaaden fast travel to the northwest forward station. Drive northwest past the remnant ship into the desert where the sun is visible. Open your map, look at it for a few seconds, then close it. The blinding white screen appears.
What is the AMD or Nvidia Model Number of your graphics card? GTX 950 2 GB
Please enter memory size in GB. 16 GB

Attached is a screenshot

Message 1 of 16 (2,688 Views)

Re: Blinding (mostly) white screen on Elaaden after looking at map

★★★★★ Novice

Ahh!! I was just about to reply to the other thread RE: unreasonable brightness on exiting caves when I saw this one. This is much more in line with that happened to me. At the time I wasn't sure what had triggered it but now that you mention it; I was driving south, I want to say in the dunes on the eastern-most side of the map, checking off markers (I recall heading for the bits of the Turian ark). Just about drove off the side of the goddamned cliff because I couldn't see a thing.

Message 2 of 16 (2,645 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would love for EA or anybody to address these brightness issues.  Elaaden is unplayable with this issue, unless you want to spend three times as long as you should driving over cliffs and into holes.  Pasting my response to a previous thread so hopefully this issue will get any attention.

I am also experiencing this issue.  First noticed when the Tempest docks at the Nexus.  I believe it's related to light sources (the flashlight is also way too bright, not sure if OP is experiencing this.)

Running an Nvidia GTX 960 in recommended settings.  I've tried adjusting all lighting settings as well as brightness both in the game and on my monitor, but all that does is give me a marginally brighter or darker washed out mess.

Message 3 of 16 (2,620 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hmm I thought it was intentional tbh. It makes sense, thought it was an effect like your eyes need to readjust to the blinding sun. Might be a bit overboard but that's what I thought it was. Lol.

Message 4 of 16 (2,598 Views)

★★★★ Novice
A small workaround i found is to change the angle so that you're looking from a very low angle.
I hope they can patch the bloom/whiteout issue. It takes me out of the game that your eyes never adjust- or when lens flare approaches JJ Abrams level.
Message 5 of 16 (2,577 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having the same problem after a system update yesterday.

Before that it was fine, the problem is not only in Elaaden, other worlds are also experiencing the same problem, the 'brighter' the map is, the worse it is at the moment, the worst by far is Elaaden, but Voeld is also showing this problem, and it is also happening in some regions of Eos as well.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Message 6 of 16 (2,555 Views)

★ Apprentice

This doesnt just happen on Elaaden, it happens on all planets where there are bright and dark areas. It really does need correcting.

Message 7 of 16 (2,541 Views)

★★★ Guide

I understand it being intentional to change the brightness when we as characters (or the Nomad) move from light areas to dark and vice versa, even if as implemented the change is too drastic (e.g. in Kadara's caves). But in this situation we're looking at a menu while standing still. It's just too meta for my tastes to think that we, as players, should have to have our eyes adjust to the landscape on Elaaden (etc.) every time we access the menu. (If you want to argue that Ryder is looking at an omnitool screen while we're looking at the menu, then why does the same thing happen while in the Nomad? The windows on that thing are blacked out.)

Regardless of intention, the implementation is very poor. On average it takes at least 10 seconds for my screen to reach a usable brightness level until I can continue. I usually find a completely white screen upon exiting the menu, with perhaps the barest hint of the outline of the Nomad. (For me it's even brighter than in the screenshot.) I can't move unless I want to end up in a sinkhole because I'm blinder than a bat in the sun. That's far too drastic, and 10 seconds to come down from that is far too much time. It really adds up quickly when you're constantly checking the map to make sure you're on track or to set new waypoints. It's a huge interruption to otherwise continuous gameplay.

Message 8 of 16 (2,518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I'm also having this problem (though way worse than the screencap - I can't even see the nomad), with the addition of really dark places (like inside the crashed remnant ship) leaving my screen completely black for a while after leaving the map or menu screen as well. Really ruins any sense of immersion with the game, AND leads to Elaaden taking about twice as long as it needs to thanks to sitting around waiting for the lighting to adjust when you pop into the menu as often as I do. >.<

Message 9 of 16 (2,488 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I got blinding environtment effect after patch 1.05. Before that it was all perfect. Can only play if turn camera at ground. When I was scanning glyphs at monoliths, those wires has changed colors to purple and blue. Not yellow as they used to be. Maybe theres really something wrong with code.

Message 10 of 16 (2,477 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help