by SaltyGamerPC

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefront II unplayable due to major stutter

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello there,

First off, my issue is very similar to thishttps://youtu.be/FeFuk1SH6QI?t=25

The video is not from me, but it's exactly same problem.
Only I have it MUCH worse. It's basically a slideshow when I start a match.

The weird thing is, my FPS seems to be very consistent and rarely lower than 60, so in theory it should run smooth.

The problem is also very inconsistent. Sometimes I can play a match just fine, other times it lags so horribly when starting a match I just have to force quit the game.

This issue is also very present in the Single Player mode.

My Specs

• GTX 970
  • i5-4590
  • 8Gb RAM DDR3
  • I have the game installed on an HDD.

Things I have tried to fix this:

• Using DirectX 12 vs. using DX11
  • Using NVIDIA Control Panel to set Maximum Pre-rendered frames to 3
  • Using Borderless Full Screen vs. Normal Fullscreen
  • Turning off Origin Overlay
  • Quitting all background programs to free up RAM (like Chrome and Spotify)
  • Lowering the graphics settings
  • Restarting the game
  • Restarting my PC
  • Screaming at the game
  • Ragequitting by pressing Alt+F4

So far none of the things listed above have helped.

Please let me know how to fix this, so I can finally play this game properly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 7 (1,940 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefront II unplayable due to major stutter

EA DICE Team
Thanks for coming back @SaltyGamerPC

Good breakdown on what you have done and tried. 

Do you always have MSI Afterburner running? If you do turn it off and see if that changes anything. 

/Atic 

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (1,791 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team
Thanks for the breakdown on what you have done and easy information. Standard smile @SaltyGamerPC 

So looking at the video I know its not your system but I can see the CPU going 100% and that would be why the stuttering is happening, and looking at the CPU you are using it could be one of the reasons to why you are getting stuttering FPS. Frostbite is a very demanding engine on CPU. 

When playing can you take a look in task manger to see how your system doing and if anything is sitting on 100%? 

/Atic 
Message 2 of 7 (1,906 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello,

So I just got the game and had some problems like this as well. I tried digging online for a solution but nothing worked for me, so I decided to try and fix this myself.

I navigated around the games' collection menu where I ususally experienced loading/stutter issues while trying to change the appeareance of any class.

I had the task manager open on my other screen and observed what happened every time the game would stutter, and after some careful examination I saw that every time the game "freezed" Bitdefender Antivirus' usage would rise to about 0.2% and then after the game "unfreezed" it would go down to 0%.

So I uninstalled Bitdefender and sure enough now it works perfectly! I wasn't afraid of removing Bitdefender since Windows Defender is pretty good on it's own but if you don't trust it that much you can download Avast (for free, and no this is not an ad lmao) and it won't cause any problems with the game, at least it doesn't for me.

Hope this helps someone as well since I saw nobody talking about this fix!

Best regards,

Nixy

Message 3 of 7 (1,857 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have any anti-virus software, except Windows Defender.
Message 4 of 7 (1,849 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey Atic,

Thanks for your quick response man. I'm only responding now because I tried to record some stuttering gameplay recently, only the weird thing was, it totally didn't stutter that time.

• So that was the Assault Mode on Geonosis, this time with DX12 on, because I wanted to try that again.
  • I alt-tabbed to my task manager and my CPU was at around 40% this time.

Now I just tried playing Capital Assault, also on Geonisis obviously, so a similar situation I would say. But now the stutter was insane. The game just froze in place.

• Similar situation, also DX12, but this time major stutter.
  • I again alt-tabbed to my task manager, but this time my CPU as indeed at 99% as you predicted.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that the problem is super inconsistent.

• I've also been able to play Capital Assault, using DX11, just fine a week ago.

Do you want me to record some gameplay using an overlay like MSI Afterburner? Because when I alt-tab to task manager all usage percentages almost instantly drop.

Message 5 of 7 (1,848 Views)

EA DICE Team
Thanks for coming back @SaltyGamerPC

Good breakdown on what you have done and tried. 

Do you always have MSI Afterburner running? If you do turn it off and see if that changes anything. 

/Atic 

Message 6 of 7 (1,792 Views)

★ Novice

Hey, I have the same goddamn issue and can't get anyone from EA to help. Either I get help from you guys or you lost a customer. The game is unplayable as of now and I bought it two weeks ago. 

Message 7 of 7 (791 Views)