Re: Battlefront 2 random freeze and crash

by PeterStovak

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefront 2 random freeze and crash

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Dear EA,

I have this game for almost 72 hours already. From the start the game is freezing at random times during single player and multiplayer as well.

Game can be stable from 3 seconds to 1 hour after loading the map. Randomly crashes during multiplayer matches as well.

Hw:

- i5 7500 3.4 Ghz

- 8gb Ram

- Gigabyte 770 GTX OC 4Gb Ram

- Virtual memory: 4096 - 24576

Symptom:

-  game freeze at random times (right after loading map or after random amount of time - can be 3 seconds to 1 hour)

- no error message Alt+F4 or shutting down the process can get to desktop

- during freeze CPU and memory util drops to idle 3-5%

What I've tried and did not work:

- reinstalled game

- reinstalled Os

- deleted Origin files (except local settings)

- tried full screen, borderless and windowed

- disabled vsync in Nvidia manager

- power management set to high performance for OS

- set power management for card for maximum performance

- tried at least 5 differend v388.x driver

- increased GPU processing time in registry

- lowered grapics settings (tuned off AA and HDR and set everything to med/low - suggested was high/ultra)

- gave admin rights to launcher and game shortcut (should not be relevant)

I have restarted PC after each major step because you know Windows...

... issue is still there

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31 (67,609 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

Solved by 2 easy steps:

1., Inside "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings" I have edited  "ProfileOptions_profile" and "BootOptions" with wordpad. Added the following entry to the end of both file "GstRender.maxvariablefps 60"

2., Open up the Notepad program and enter: "gametime.maxvariablefps 60" (without quotation marks). Click the File menu in Notepad, then Save As. Browse to the installation folder (e.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars Battlefront II) In the “Save as type” drop down menu at the bottom, select “All Files”. In the “File name” box type “user.cfg” (without quotation marks). Click the Save button.

Result:

- CPU at 100% fro brief time while loading game and maps at the first time

- no more stuttering, freezing or crashing. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 31 (77,947 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice

Solved by 2 easy steps:

1., Inside "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings" I have edited  "ProfileOptions_profile" and "BootOptions" with wordpad. Added the following entry to the end of both file "GstRender.maxvariablefps 60"

2., Open up the Notepad program and enter: "gametime.maxvariablefps 60" (without quotation marks). Click the File menu in Notepad, then Save As. Browse to the installation folder (e.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars Battlefront II) In the “Save as type” drop down menu at the bottom, select “All Files”. In the “File name” box type “user.cfg” (without quotation marks). Click the Save button.

Result:

- CPU at 100% fro brief time while loading game and maps at the first time

- no more stuttering, freezing or crashing. 

Message 2 of 31 (77,948 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@Yugi8625 wrote:

Solved by 2 easy steps:

Rumors are true... it is a working solution. Freezing gone. Cpu load at 40-75% tops during games. Big thanks to YUGI8625!!!!

I hope EA give us patch for this. Until that time.. this is the solution!

Message 3 of 31 (67,466 Views)

★★ Novice

what is a notepad program?

Message 4 of 31 (67,420 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you sir, you are my hero! I had this problem for weeks, but this fixed it for me!

Message 5 of 31 (67,388 Views)

★ Novice
Thanks Man! It does work well! Like Magic!
Message 6 of 31 (67,313 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
It doesn't work to me.. The game continues crashing to the Desktop
Message 7 of 31 (67,184 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I did this...and it seemed to help a lot of a couple play sessions. But now I'm crashing a lot again. 3 times in the last 10 mins. Do these changes stay indefinitely? Or do they get new files written over them when you load the game?

Message 8 of 31 (67,115 Views)

★★★ Novice
These settings do not take any effect in game, still seeing uncapped Frames.

Openning console and entering command also has no effect on capping FPS.

I wish I could find a fix from having game crash to desktop. My crash dump folder is getting quite large.
Message 9 of 31 (66,675 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@mparkes I found something a couple of days ago that I tried... And I haven't crashed since. Freaking nuts. Anyway, you go into Nvidia control panel to adjust desktop size & position, and under "perform scaling on display" change the the choice from "aspect ratio" to "no scaling". I've already capped my fps to 60 with Nvidia inspector about a week & half ago, but I was still crashing. So I'm not sure if it's the combo if the two, or of the fps capping doesn't matter anymore... I haven't tested it. I'm too scared to mess with it.
Message 10 of 31 (66,654 Views)