by Ninja-Knickers

Original Post

Re: Battlefront 2 hdr bug ps4 pro

★★ Apprentice

I have the same issue.  Running PS4 Pro on a Visio 4K HDR TV

Message 101 of 112 (3,115 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm still having HDR issues on PS4 PRO after the update, I'm finding it very hard to believe this is still an issue 7 months after launch.

Message 102 of 112 (3,059 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yup, still having issues.  PS4Pro into a Sony 930E

Message 103 of 112 (3,050 Views)

★ Apprentice
I don’t. They don’t give a damn. I haven’t played the game in over a month.
Message 104 of 112 (3,043 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Guerrilla Games who literally came from nowhere and made the incredible Horizon Zero Dawn as their first ever title managed to have amazing HDR in the game that works flawlessly, and DICE who have many titles under their belt with years of experience can't seem to get it right, 7 MONTHS after launch.

Seriously this can't be that hard to fix? Why must you keep your customers waiting so long for a fix?

Message 105 of 112 (3,018 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem here on PS4 PRO, i've test on differents tv's Samsumg ku6000 & Sony Bravia X900e and the problem persist. i have been noticed the pixelationn in other games cutcenes (Assassin's Creed Origins and Far Cry 5  (in ubsoft logo), Injustice 2, Alien isolation, The Witcher 3 and borderlads 2) but not so horrible like SW and BF1. 

Message 106 of 112 (2,916 Views)

★★★ Newbie

There is definitely still HDR issues and even some new ones added by the update. Now on some of the loading screens (Tatooine is one of the worst) I get red, green, and blue pixilated squares that are about the size of the small squares on standard graph paper.

I am not too happy about this glitch. I have a LG OLED 65 G6P that is worth more than my car and this glitch had me convinced there was something wrong with my TV. Since Battlefront ran fine on all my other Xboxs(2 Xbox One and 1 Xbox One S) and TVs (4 TVs without HDR) it made me believe my precious $7000 OLED had permanent damage and I had saved for a year to purchase it and it has been worth every penny. I also didn't think it was a Battlefront 2 problem because I had Googled things like Battlefront 2 graphics issues, texture problems, blocky graphics, etc and nothing that I found described my problems.  To try to fix the problem I decided to get my TV was professionally calibrated by an ISF certified professional (ChadB) so I knew it wasn't the settings my TV or Xbox. I showed the calibrator the Battlefront issue and he ran all kinds of tests on the TV and could not find any problems and he checked out my Xbox One X and could not find any problems. The only other thing I could think of was that maybe Battlefront had an issue with OLED TV's HDR mode because the HDR calibration in the Battlefront settings obviously was not functioning properly. On a hunch I went into the Xbox One X settings and turned off HDR then booted up Battlefront and all the glitches were gone. The graphics look dull and dark after only playing in HDR mode so I decided to turn it back on and live with the glitches.

I searched Battlefront HDR issues and found this lovely forum where this issue has been reported since the game released. I realize you guys had some more pressing issues with the loot box controversy and glitches that affect gameplay. This needs to be moved up the list of priorities as it is causing people to think there is problems with their equipment judging from other comments in this thread. I wondered how many people got a new HDR TV and loaded up Battlefront 2 then returned it to the store because it looks worse than their current TV. Even though HDR users are the minority you should take into consideration that HDR is currently be used by the early adopters and tech savvy crowd who is more critical and observant than the typical consumer and many have invested a significant amount of time and money into their set up. I know HDR is a new technology so there are always problems but you guys could do a better job of communicating with your customers about this problem and progress on another patch. The first patch seemed to improve some things and make other worse for example the blue, green, and red squares. I also think the patch has altered certain in game objects that relied heavily on HDR. For example the fire and wood embers from burning on the Endor level in the campaign don't have as much detail. Before the patch I spent awhile exploring the level and being blown away that I had a hard time noticing a difference between the burning wood game graphics and a real life picture. Post patch the experience is not as impressive and I am curious to know more technical details on the patch and what was changed. On a positive note this is my go to game to show off the OLED and HDR so I look forward to seeing these issues fixed.

Message 107 of 112 (2,804 Views)

★★★ Novice

November but still the same issue. I just bought SW:BF2 and had to look online to see what I did wrong, just to find the game itself is bugged in HDR. 

What I think seems to be happening is that there is pre-rendered SDR content which is incorrectly converted to HDR. The SDR content is rendered with limited RGB range, meaning white = 235 and black = 16, which is perfectly normal/fine. However, what they seem to be doing is just multiplying the SDR values by 4 to get to the 10-bit HDR range. This results in 2 problems. First, the dynamic range is not increased at all, on the contrary it's condensed as black now becomes 64, while for white they probably stick to whatever you had set as max white in the HDR settings. Second, since it only uses every 4th value, a lot of intermediate shades get lost, which results in the horrible banding you see.

It's rather baffling though that they were never able to fix this, as it should be a pretty simple conversion to get at least a lot better than what it looks like now.

Message 108 of 112 (2,565 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That's EA in a nutsgell. All ea games I've played suffer from pxxelated ugly cutacenes and colour banding. Battlefront, battlefield 1, battlefield 5. It's  a issue n all their shooters. It's all down to them  being amateurs and hire amateurs cause it's more cost effective and they only care about making as much money as possible. There is no other explanation as to why they are incapable of making their games presentable looking.

Message 109 of 112 (2,534 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I’ve just started using EA Access on Xbox one S and I’ve had these pixilated banding issues but only noticed massively in the cutscenes of SWBF2.

to add, I’ve also played the newly released NFS Heat, and I’ve had the same issues. It looks really shabby, I’ve never had any issues like this on any other games so I’m guessing it’s EA ACCESS?

Message 110 of 112 (2,290 Views)