Battlefront 2 PC Menu and Gameplay Lag

by bob8me

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefront 2 PC Menu and Gameplay Lag

★★★ Novice

I've had the game for some time now, but it has been unplayable for several months (even in single player because of the terrible lag).

Here are the symptoms I've noticed:

Game takes FOREVER to load

Menus seem to stutter, freeze, and lag

and the worst part is that even in single player the game lags terribly. It freezes and is choppy and just downright unplayable.

Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) 
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: G5 5587
BIOS: 1.10.0 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Page File: 9905MB used, 8316MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken that I can remember:

Repair game

Update windows

Clear DNS Cache

Clean Boot

Allowed programs as best I can in firewalls and other programs

Removed Origin, windows, and nvidia overlays

I noticed that the game performed much better in the clean boot, but when I returned to my regular settings the issues returned as well. Not sure if this means there is a program interfering with the game or what.

I have no idea what else to try, I think I've got the specs for the game to work at least on low graphics, but not so... Maybe I should upgrade my RAM? I just don't want to unless I know that is the problem.

Any help is appreciated!!

Message 1 of 8 (17,152 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefront 2 PC Menu and Gameplay Lag

EA DICE Team

Thanks for the new details! @bob8me 

Based on that screen shoot I would say the ram is running out and would help to have more if you can and sometimes your D drive also spikes, is that an SSD or HDD? 

/Atic 

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (16,975 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hey, @bob8me  Thanks for the detailed post! 

When playing is anything overheating is anything of you hardware maxing out? 

/Atic 

Message 2 of 8 (17,038 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply @EA_Atic!

I called EA for the third time yesterday to try to understand what was going on. The woman I spoke with was very helpful and had me do an msconfig to see how my ram was doing. It showed that less than half of the 8 gigs that I have were "available". I must have quite a few background programs running... I'm thinking it must be a ram problem as the game needs 8 gigs of free ram, not just 8 installed on the laptop. 

Today I took a screenshot in task manager while the game is open and have attached it to show a few more things I noticed.

My GPU appears to be running at 100% but when I look into the details it shows that it is using just under half of the 4GB allotted to it. I'm assuming that once again this is because of my ram issue. Can a lack of ram bottleneck my GPU? Its a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti.

CPU appears fine

As far as overheating, I'm not sure... the laptop does get pretty warm and the fans run pretty good while in game. I'm assuming that is normal while running a game and maybe getting more ram will help things not work so hard. I've thought about replacing the thermal paste but not sure if that is necessary or will even help.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 8 (17,023 Views)

EA DICE Team

Thanks for the new details! @bob8me 

Based on that screen shoot I would say the ram is running out and would help to have more if you can and sometimes your D drive also spikes, is that an SSD or HDD? 

/Atic 

Message 4 of 8 (16,976 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_AticI purchased ram and installed it Saturday, worked wonders! I'm thinking of getting the thermal paste redone to help with heat. And yes the D drive is HDD

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 8 (16,950 Views)

EA DICE Team

Awesome to hear! @bob8me  

/Atic 

Message 6 of 8 (16,926 Views)

★★ Novice
@bob8me If anyone else is having the same issue, try going to your task manager and press details, then set the priority of SWBF2 to "high". Works for me.
Message 7 of 8 (14,015 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@bob8me I recommend you add more ram to your setup because when I play battlefront 2, the game uses 12 GB of ram!
Message 8 of 8 (4,678 Views)