Re: Battlefront 2 Forcing PC to Reboot (Randomly)

by APlankOfWood0

Original Post

★★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry 

When the components were purchased, I was assured that they would be fully compatible with Windows 7 (hence why I continued to use it after upgrading); that being said, Windows 7 was an absolute pain in the backside to get working correctly. I had actually been having an issue with Borderlands 2 as of late where I was told that upgrading to Windows 10 was the only (possible) solution; I suppose that as more things become reliant on newer versions of Windows, I'll be forced into a corner sooner or later. This is something that I will look into in the coming weeks, however, if there are any other ideas that you may be able to suggest until then, that would be great!

Message 21 of 24 (834 Views)

Community Manager

@APlankOfWood0 

Do you have your video card and Windows power settings set to max? Do you use MSI Afterburner?

Blueberry.png
Message 22 of 24 (825 Views)

Community Manager

@APlankOfWood0 

Curious if you were able to find a fix so others could also be aware of it. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated! 

Blueberry.png
Message 23 of 24 (765 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Blueberry 

Apologies! I had been meaning to get back to you for some time now (life has been crazy).

I had actually taken a second look at my BIOS some time after my last post and found a few options that were not the stock settings. After changing everything back to stock settings, I had tested the game however I encountered the same problem; random reboot. I figured I would give the PC a thorough clean; in fact, it was good that I did because the small removable tray situated below the PSU was CAKED in dust (fortunately the power supply was more or less clean, the mesh had caught most of the dust). I gave that good clean up, played the game and for about 2 weeks the game worked flawlessly until a few days ago where I encountered the same reboot problem. I do have CPUTemp actively logging my CPU temps and nothing is overheating there however I do not know of a tool that can monitor PSU temps and log that; I am wondering if something is going on there that is causing heat problems.

That being said, I DO have Battlefront 2 installed on my external drive (as I do most other games these days). I had an issue a few days back when rendering out a file in After Effects (a file located on that same drive) and the error had prompted me of something along the time of the drive being disconnected; physically, it was not. My thoughts now are that is may be that the external drive is being funny; I will attempt to reinstall BF2 onto my SSD and see if that helps.

Sorry of the novel, haha! I hope what I wrote makes sense.

TL;DR -- I thought I fixed the problem however that does not seem to be the case. External drive might be acting up. Will test that out ASAP.

EDIT -  I reinstalled Battlefront 2 (totally fresh) onto a different drive and I had just encountered the same reboot issue after having played for a good few hours. I think it's safe to say then that the install location is not likely to be the cause. This is a huge pain! Zipped lips I will be giving everything a clean again soon. 

Message 24 of 24 (758 Views)