Re: Battlefront 2 Forcing PC to Reboot (Randomly)

by xXTylonXx

Original Post

Battlefront 2 Forcing PC to Reboot (Randomly)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello,

I have recently been struggling with a Battlefront 2 issue whereby the game (at seemingly random points; load screens, mid-game, main menu, etc) will crash without warning and force my PC to reboot immediately. I have been reading a lot of posts spanning from since the launch of the game where other PC players have reported this problem, though none of their fixes seemed to have worked for me.

What's more, this issue has only started happening since a couple of weeks ago when I got my new setup; my previous PC setup did not have this problem. I am currently running on a Ryzen 2700x, 16GB RAM and a 1060GTX (though the 1060GTX was also a part of my previous setup which, again, did not experience this issue). I will add also that this is the only game that has given me this problem.

As I say, I have tried every apparent fix that I can find with no positive results; things I have tried include:
- Changing the DX12 option through the 'BootOptions' file (the option does not appear in-game for me).

- Adding a FPS limit in both the 'BootOptions' & 'ProfileOptions_profile' files (this seemed to revert back to default even when changing it to read-only).

- Toggled both Windowed and Fullsceen mode; issue persisted.

- Repaired the game through Origin.

- A couple of other little bits with adjusting various graphics settings in-game.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 24 (3,888 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@APlankOfWood0 

Is your power supply 400W+ ?

Thermal and Power Specs
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C): 94
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W): 120 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W): 400 W
Supplementary Power Connectors: 6-Pin

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1060/specifications

barry.png
Message 2 of 24 (3,854 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry 

My power supply is 650W; that should be plenty.

Message 3 of 24 (3,843 Views)

Community Manager

@APlankOfWood0 

Did you muck about in the BIOS when you got the new machine?

Let us know how you get on with the above troubleshooting please

If your issue continues, posting your Dxdiag report here will be helpful, thanks.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

barry.png
Message 4 of 24 (3,834 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry 

I'll take some time to go through these steps ASAP.

When the system was assembled, there was tinkering within the BIOS, however as of right now, I believe everything is running at stock settings. Is this something that can affect Battlefront 2 directly? As I mentioned, I have had no issues with any other games; some more demanding and resource intensive than BFII itself and they have been fine. The Dxdiag is attached also.

Message 5 of 24 (3,829 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry 

Literally having the exact same situation as @APlankOfWood0  except with a GTX 770 card.

Without fail, after 10 minutes of flawless 60fps gameplay, I crash to desktop with the error "Nvidia Display Kernel Driver (something like that) has crashed and recovered". I tried updating my drivers and this simply made my computer reboot randomly with and without launching this game periodically until I reverted to older drivers.

I solved my PC rebooting randomly issue, but the game still crashes after about (I swear I am about to start timing it) 10 minutes, in menu or in game, doesn't make a difference.

This is the only game this happens with. Prior to being forced to update my drivers when I installed BF2 several months ago I never had any issues, and recently, the last few days especially, the crashes are consistent and make the game unplayable as well as have made my system seem less stable then before. Would love an answer to what can be done now that I know I am not the only one experiencing this lately.

Message 6 of 24 (3,763 Views)

★★★ Novice

@xXTylonXx

My girlfriend is having the issue with the crashing to desktop as you are also; we're trying to actively fix the game for myself and her as of right now! May I ask, how did you resolve the issue of your PC rebooting?

Message 7 of 24 (3,752 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Clean uninstall of my drivers from safe mode, then switched back to the last stable driver before I updated for the sake of this game. I checked the BF2 files to see what the oldest dated one was  (clued me in on the install date since I never tried a clean reinstall yet) and then compared it to the last driver I had downloaded before that (im pretty meticulous about graphic drivers and not redownloading them so I can always estimate timelines and stuff on how far back to revert).

The crash and restart started happening after updating to 430.64 for GTX 770 cards, so I reverted to 347.88, the last stable driver I had before I installed and upgraded for BF2. Game runs fine for 10 minutes, I could be sitting in menu or in game, and then *boop* driver crash.

Probably going to try reinstalling the game right now, but I already tried a repair through origin, so not sure what could be getting FUBAR that its still busted like this.

Message 8 of 24 (3,738 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tried clean reinstall of game. Same issues. Now I am able to get through a full round at least before it crashes but it always crashes without fail with the same error as soon as a new round is loaded, the screen freezes on end of round screen, then black screen and shuts the game off with the Kernel Driver Error.

Definitely a game issue. I refuse to believe it is anything else seeing as it ONLY crashes with BF2 and ONLY when loading between rounds.

@EA_Barry , The heck happened? The Droideka update I hope will fix this if you can't give us any good advice, otherwise idk, I'll just stop being a customer to future EA titles.

Message 9 of 24 (3,714 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry  Here is my dxdiag file as well, in case that helps.

Message 10 of 24 (3,713 Views)