Re: Battlefield 1 not saving anything (settings, progress.. nothing)

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Battlefield 1 not saving anything (settings, progress.. nothing)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Battlefield 1 launches and runs fine on my system, however, every time I launch it, it behaves as though it has never been run before: request for gamma and speaker settings, then opening cinematic and opening missions.

I did some looking around, and I found that it should be saving settings, etc., to c:\users\{username}\Documents\Battlefield 1.

This folder exists, but it contains only another folder called "Screenshots".

I have checked the permissions and ownership/security settings on this folder and they are wide open.

I have configured Battlefield 1 to run as Administrator, also.

None of these is causing it to write anything to that directory, nor to preserve any of the settings or progress in-game.

The only "unusual" thing about my configuration is that My Documents is pointed to a Network drive, using Windows own ability to redirect where "My Documents" is.

This doesn't seem like it should be a source of the problem, as I can readily write into that Battlefield 1 directory, and the setup itself was able to create the folders there.

Is there a fix for this, or a way to move the location of the saves to someplace local?

UPDATES:

1) I have turned off cloud saves, to see if that made a difference (when they're on, when the game loads, it "appears" to be downloading from the cloud, but if I check the game's properties, I'm using 0/1GB of my cloud storage).
2) I have gotten a copy of a friend's working Battlefield 1 folder (from his Documents), and tried it in both C:\Users.. and in D:\Users (which is the disk on which BF1 is installed).
3) Upon launching the game, I change some settings (gamma, speaker type, sticky sprint/scope, no subtitles, etc.), maybe play a little bit of the first mission stuff, and then quit out.
4) The only directory that appears to be touched in the Doc\Battlefield 1 dir is the stuff that's in "twinkle". None of the other files have been touched.
5) I am not having any issue with anything rendering or behaving properly-- menus appear correct, assets are all in place, etc. it's only that I can not retain any settings changes or progress.
6) Any achievements, etc., I might have gotten from an Origin perspective, do persist in Origin, just nothing within BF1.

Message 1 of 26 (5,379 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
what anti virus app is being used or have been installed on that OS ?

bitdefender has been know for blocking saves.
but so has windows defender with its security folder option that dont allow program to its folder for access, ( user has turn on option without fully understanding its consequence )

MS onedriver moving document to cloud many users forget that ( dont have BF1 dont know if it use document folder as save. )

its just users forgotten options and system change, that can bite in our butt. ( but its understandable with so many programs and options who can remember them all. you need to be a geek or IT expert )
Message 2 of 26 (5,359 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thanks for the response!

Funny, I just came here to update my post above-- I do have Bitdefender, but I disabled every feature within it yesterday, and I turned off both BD and Windows firewalls, juuust in case.

That did not make any difference. Is there something specific in Bitdefender I should look for?

I just double-checked Bitdefender's settings and logs to make sure-- no reference to anything.

I also remembered that I have Malwarebytes installed on this machine, so I turned all of that off, also, for good measure. Nope.

A directory will be created in my Documents folder (on the Network), but nothing will be written to it, other than the Screenshots folder.

Message 3 of 26 (5,357 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Complete-Support-Origin-Connection-Issues/m-p/5019298#M18...

there is simple to many security apps, to make a guide for such.
best advise is uninstall it as test ( dont forget to reboot, so filter is not active ) then check do game work now then you have might have found the culprit. then reinstall it. and figure it out and reply back with solution to EA, i bet they will gather its informations and make a mini guide with how to fix its configuration. ( but same time dont forget its users own responsibility to deal with users own security apps it will never be a game company issue at all. ) ( all this informations should be seen as help and have been learn over several decads with many games that somehow get into trouble then our security apps has been raised its security and impact on our programs.
Message 4 of 26 (5,348 Views)

★★ Novice

I do have the same problem as you.

Deleted Origin and BF1, removed all that had wirh Origin to do( incl games ) Remove temp files.

Rebooted my pc, downloadet and installed Origin, downloadet BF1, started the game with settings, played some missions.

Next time i start BF1, it´s deja-vu

Message 5 of 26 (5,320 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Do you mean uninstalling all the antivirus and antimalware software?

I could do that, but it does seem excessive.

I don't think the problem is with connecting to Origin, as the game is authorized, and I was able to completely uninstall it and reinstall it. Also, my achievements are recorded in Origin (just not remembered by the game).

I'm going to try something.

UPDATE: The thing I tried was opening the running .exe in Process Explorer and seeing if there was any indication in there as to the path it was looking for or expecting. I didn't see anything obvious, so I still don't have a clue.

Message 6 of 26 (5,303 Views)

Community Manager

This is most likely a permissions issue with your Windows user settings or else a program running is blocking the ability of programs to write to files in your user folder. 

You need to ensure that the folder C:\Users\YoutUserName\Documents\Battlefield 1\settings is not locked and that programs have permission to write to files there. Try launching both Origin and BG1 as admin. 

Darko.png
Message 7 of 26 (5,285 Views)

★★ Novice
I dident have the folder so I made one, now its working.

Thanks
Message 8 of 26 (5,271 Views)

★★★ Novice

Which folder were you missing that you created?

Message 9 of 26 (5,264 Views)

★★★ Novice

I checked that first, having researched online. Ownership of the folder seems correct, but the permissions are wide-open for the folder (Full Control for Everyone). Still doesn't do it.

I have tried running both Origin and BF1 as Administrator.

The only unusual thing is that my Documents folder is redirected to a network drive, but that's transparent and doesn't bother any other software I have.

I think I'm about to refund time-- I can't go through the first-time launch of the game again. I've seen that intro (and played the first few missions) a dozen+ times now.

Message 10 of 26 (5,261 Views)