Re: Battlefield 1 Freezing, Forces me to restart PC

by Juwce

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 1 Freezing, Forces me to restart PC

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have already researched the problem and tried suggested solutions on these forums extensively with no luck. I will try and give as much detail as possible about my issue and what I have tried to resolve it:

My Problem:

My Battlefield 1 on PC is freezing and removing my ability to click with my mouse after between 5-30 minutes of gameplay. The symptoms start when the game periodically locks up for 5-10 seconds, and eventually it will completely freeze. When Battlefield 1 freezes, my computer works normally except for mouse clicks. Any time I click with the mouse my computer makes a scary beeping sound (once on the click down and again on release) and Windows does not respond to the click. I can move the mouse around the screen with no issues, I can also open applications such as Chrome, Origin, etc. and navigate and use them normally with my keyboard. Attempting to force quit Battlefield 1 (since I only have use of the keyboard I have tried signing out to make windows quit the application) makes my entire system unresponsive.

My attempts at solving it:

I have tried the following:

• I am on Windows 1803
  • I clean reinstalled my video card drivers (I tried both the latest AMD recommended Radeon 18.5 and 18.9 drivers)
  • I disabled Origin overlay
  • I deleted the Battlefield 1 folder under Documents
  • I changed Battlefield 1 settings (lowering resolution, capping frame rate, lowering settings, tried both fullscreen and borderless)
  • I have tried playing other resource intensive games and have had no issues
  • My PC is a couple months old and is not dusty
  • I have monitored by CPU and GPU temps with an overlay right up to the crash and they are not getting hot (<60C for my CPU, <80C for my GPU)

My system info if it is helpful:

- 850W EVGA power supply

- i5 8700k

- ASUS Vega 64

- ASUS z370-e motherboard

I have been playing the game regularly with no issues up until recently. I took a break from it for about a week, and when I came back to it this past weekend this issue started to occur. I am not having any issues with any other games, including other games that also push my system's resources. The issue appears to be isolated to Battlefield 1. I cannot provide any crash logs as Battlefield 1 never exits (it just freezes and hangs), and I have been forced to restart my PC whenever the issue occurs as described above.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I am happy to provide any additional info about the issue. I would love to have this issue resolved as I really enjoy the game!

Message 1 of 4 (603 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I've played for a while on both Dx12 and Dx11 in the past without issues. The crashing would happen on both. After much debugging, it appears that the issue was somehow linked to my RAM. I noticed that the game would crash when RAM usage hit 8gb, and I have 16gb of RAM. It's likely that Battlefield 1 is the only game I own that will push my RAM usage that high. I tried placing my RAM in new slots, and after doing so, for some reason Battlefield 1 has been using a lot less RAM (6gb as opposed to >8gb around the time it started crashing frequently). It's possible some windows process was eating up the extra memory. Since this, I have been having no issues playing the game.

Thank you for your response. Hopefully this post will help others facing the very odd symptoms that I was -- if your CPU and GPU temps are just fine, check your RAM usage and see if it crashes at a specific amount.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (542 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hey @Juwce, Thanks for all that detailed information! Sorry for the delay on the responds here.

A quick question, do you play with DX12 and d you feel the same issue with Dx11?

/Atic 

Message 2 of 4 (556 Views)

★★ Novice

I've played for a while on both Dx12 and Dx11 in the past without issues. The crashing would happen on both. After much debugging, it appears that the issue was somehow linked to my RAM. I noticed that the game would crash when RAM usage hit 8gb, and I have 16gb of RAM. It's likely that Battlefield 1 is the only game I own that will push my RAM usage that high. I tried placing my RAM in new slots, and after doing so, for some reason Battlefield 1 has been using a lot less RAM (6gb as opposed to >8gb around the time it started crashing frequently). It's possible some windows process was eating up the extra memory. Since this, I have been having no issues playing the game.

Thank you for your response. Hopefully this post will help others facing the very odd symptoms that I was -- if your CPU and GPU temps are just fine, check your RAM usage and see if it crashes at a specific amount.

Message 3 of 4 (543 Views)

EA DICE Team
Hey @Juwce,

Glad to hear that you solved the issue. Standard smile

/Atic
Message 4 of 4 (492 Views)