BFV - Periodic FPS drop issue

by ChiefKweef420

Original Post

BFV - Periodic FPS drop issue

★★ Novice

Hiya, I have been enjoying this game a lot but I am having an issue with huge fps drop spikes. I am running the game on a Dell Inspiron 15 7577, it has a GTX 1060 Max-Q, Intel i7-7700 CPU, 16gb of RAM with 6gb of dedicated video RAM, which fits both the minimal and recommended specifications for this game. Since playing I have capped my fps ingame to 60fps as that is the refresh rate of my monitor and for the most part it stays there, however every couple of minutes now my frames will drop to around 8-15fps and stay there for around 10-20seconds causing unplayable visual lag for this period.

In this period in addition to the fps drop my character seems to slow down in game relative to the other players, getting me killed a decent amount. I have been tracking CPU and GPU usage to see if there is a bottleneck issue and sometimes when I have the fps drop my CPU usage will be 98% or above. Other times it is between 80%-90% but the lag still happens, while the GPU isn't close to maxed out. This leads me to believe its the CPU but why if it says it can run it on minimum and recommended settings for this game.

I have been running all settings on the lowest but the issue persists. I have tried with DX11 and DX12 and there seems to be no difference in the frequency of the fps drops, currently am I continuing on DX11. Other settings such as future frame rendering are enabled. I have experienced this issue on all maps as well as in the post battle screen, it also happens in practice mode leading me to believe it is a hardware issue and not network? If anything with recent updates I experience this issue with even greater frequency and it is almost never longer than 2 minutes now before it happens.

Has anyone one else experienced or heard of this issue and knows a possible fix. I have been running with all background processes closed apart from the game and origin, to try and reduce CPU load if that is the issue, although I don't see why it would be as it should be more than capable to run it. I am at an impasse now the game is no longer playable for me in this state so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Jason.

Message 1 of 18 (3,282 Views)

Re: BFV - Periodic FPS drop issue

Community Manager

Hey, @ChiefKweef420 

Have you taken a look at this post yet by one of our AHQ Champions to see if that helps minimize or eliminate the FPS drops?

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Battlefield-V-Tips-Part-II-Settings/m-p/7353362#M8468

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 18 (3,244 Views)

★★ Novice

I have gone through that whole list and yes I still have this issue with the same frequency and fps drops

Message 3 of 18 (3,219 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi,

same Problem here. Was running on ULTRA since last Update, no lags. Now approx. every 10 seconds a 2 second lag, not playable any more. Stopped playing. Tried to lower setting sto lowest, made it better but still not playable.

System spec:

i9-7900x 10 cores 4,6 GHZ

64 GB RAM

1080 TI

Means, it's a problem after last update and not my system!

Hope they get it solved soon.

Michael

Message 4 of 18 (3,191 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Mischan69 @ChiefKweef420 If not done yet try this please....

First step open NVIDIA Control panel under 3D settings go to Adjust image settings with preview 

Pick use my preference and set it to performance and hit apply.

Next in NVIDIA control panel go to .. manage 3D settings add BFV and make sure this in in place....

BATTLEFIELD V NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS:

• Anistropic filtering: Off
  • Antialiasing – FXAA: Off
  • Antialiasing – Gamma correction: Off
  • Antialiasing – Mode: Off
  • Antialiasing – Setting: None
  • Antialiasing – Transparency: Off
  • Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
  • Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
  • Shader Cache: On
  • Texture filtering – Anistropic sample option: Off
  • Texture filtering – Negative LOD bias: Allow
  • Texture filtering – Quality: High performance
  • Texture filtering – Trilinear optimization: Off
  • Threaded optimization: ON 
  • Triple buffering: Off
  • Vertical sync: Off

For Origin turn off cloud storage and turn off origin in game.

Next step in game video settings advanced .....

DXR OFF

Make sure frame rate limiter is set  to 200

future  frame rendering- off --you can put this on for a few fps but you will get input lag and makes it more harsh to get a kill.

vertical  sync- off

GPU memory restriction- off

Below set everything to custom or low <--I use low as I want FPS over eye candy.

Under  video Basic ....

motion blur set to 0

Message 5 of 18 (3,182 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi,

I changed everything exept the setting Qulaity to low as I want to get better grafic. Nothing has changed, still the screen hangs approx. all 10 seconds for 2 seconds. totally unplayable. It was running perfect on ULTRA and my settings before the last Update. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Michael

Message 6 of 18 (3,154 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi,

ok, found the problem. Changed from DX12 to DX11. Get less FPS now than with DX12, but no lag/hanging any more. Would be great if someone could check the DX12 problem.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Michael

Message 7 of 18 (3,152 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry @2042isNotBF 

Hiya, I had already had a lot of these settings already on from the guide linked by Blueberry, but I added the rest of the options in control panel but I still have the same issue with the same frequency

Message 8 of 18 (3,138 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ChiefKweef420 @Mischan69 Can you both try a clean boot this will just rule out a program on your PC helping to make the issue and please turn this off in Origin ...

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

Try a clean boot : run a Clean Boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929135 >This should ensure that no programs are interfering in the background.

Then test the game

Message 9 of 18 (3,113 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, 

I disabled Cloud and in-game, deactivated all services and tasks. But then there is no network and thus, no origin Login possible. Have no time today to check which network service should be activated, excluded from deactivating. I activated all services again, except the tasks and checked DX12. No change. One more info, the FPS drop to nearly 0 happens already in the start screen every 5-10 seconds the heart rate symbol in the upper right corner stops moving and the moving screen pictures in the menu (landscape background etc. which si slightly moving) freezes as well, means not started an online game. In Online games it freezes as well, no movement with soldier at all for 1-2 seconds. Unplayable.

Cheers,

Michael

Message 10 of 18 (3,077 Views)