Re: BFV Microstutter

by TakeOver79

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BFV Microstutter

★★ Novice

I have been having issues of microstutter in the game since launch.  I have tried a lot of things to try and fix this.  DDU and new drivers, Standby Memory List Cleaner, DX12 and 11, Disable Full Screen Optimizations, stock settings instead of OC, etc.  The microstutters seem to happen during CPU frametime spikes on the ingame graph.  They happen completely randomly, can be during a firefight, just running around or anything else really.  Sometimes it never happens in a game and other times it does seem to be a problem 2-3 times per round.  I don't really know what else to try or if it just simply an issue with the game.  It seems to be effecting a lot of people with high end systems.

i7 6700K @4.7Ghz

RTX 2080

16 GB DDR4 3600mhz Ram

M2 SSD

Gsync On + Vsync On + FPS Limit 162 (Config File)

1440P Res

FFR - Off DX12

Any suggestions? I haven't tried a reformat but from what I've seen the people that are having this issue haven't been able to solve it with that anyway.

Message 1 of 6 (3,107 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I'll try a clean boot tonight if the new nvidia driver doesn't fix the problem.  I can attach a dxdiag when I get home from work.

I have tried FPS limiting down to 120 and it doesn't seem to make a difference with the stuttering either.

My understanding with my configuration is vsync won't even be enabled since I use G-Sync and cap my frames at 162.  I followed a guide on Blurbusters as the optimal settings for G-Sync when I got the monitor.  My refresh rate is 165 so the cap prevents it from turning on.  I'm not sure why Vsync needs to be enable but they suggested it it stay on in NVCP but off in games.

I am going to try FFR on with the new driver as well (if it still happens with it off).  It doesn't seem to make any difference in my framerate on DX12 so I just left it off for reduce input lag.  I was actually going to try FFR on and put Pre-Rendered Frames Limit in NVCP at 2.  Does the function work the same in DX12 and DX11? It makes a huge difference in framerate on DX11 when I tested it in the past but DX12 looks like it doesn't do anything.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (3,040 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @Prim4l and welcome to Answers HQ

What you want to do is basic troubleshooting. This means we have to rule out whatever is the most likely causes, figure out when the problem occours and provide all the information you can. You've already done some of it but I would suggest:

carbonic signature

Message 2 of 6 (3,066 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hope it helps!

-Disable RTX Raytracing as test in game configuration

-Test yesterdays driver by Nvidia

-Start with default config (reset or ) by removing the config folder from user\documents

-Check temperatures, CPU and Memory utilization and unwanted background apps

-Disable origin overlay and origin ingame

-Reset Nvidia 3D application settings then choose optimal performance as energy settings and save

-Disable V-Sync in game if you use Nvidia® G-Sync LCD monitor

_________________________________________________________________________________

▪Did you find my post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did my post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

EA Champion

I'm simply a Volunteer, and do not work for EA
Message 3 of 6 (3,061 Views)

★★ Novice

I'll be testing the new Nvidia drivers tonight to see if they help.

Im not sure what you mean regarding the config file.  The config file is in the main Battlefield V Folder not in user/my documents.

Temps are good, GPU 55C most of the time, CPU is low 60s topping out around 66/68.  CPU Utilization is high in this game, normally between 75-90 but has reached 100 at times.  The CPU usage doesn't seem to relate to the spikes as I've checked the graphs in afterburner and it has happened during lower usage times as well.  The only background apps that run are Afterburner and BitDefender.  I have tried disabling Afterburner but it doesn't make a difference.  I haven't tried with BitDefender off though.

Origin Overlay and Ingame are both off.

Vsync is not on ingame.

Power settings are currently high performance but I switched that from optimal power when I was trying to fix the problem originally.

Message 4 of 6 (3,046 Views)

★★ Novice

I'll try a clean boot tonight if the new nvidia driver doesn't fix the problem.  I can attach a dxdiag when I get home from work.

I have tried FPS limiting down to 120 and it doesn't seem to make a difference with the stuttering either.

My understanding with my configuration is vsync won't even be enabled since I use G-Sync and cap my frames at 162.  I followed a guide on Blurbusters as the optimal settings for G-Sync when I got the monitor.  My refresh rate is 165 so the cap prevents it from turning on.  I'm not sure why Vsync needs to be enable but they suggested it it stay on in NVCP but off in games.

I am going to try FFR on with the new driver as well (if it still happens with it off).  It doesn't seem to make any difference in my framerate on DX12 so I just left it off for reduce input lag.  I was actually going to try FFR on and put Pre-Rendered Frames Limit in NVCP at 2.  Does the function work the same in DX12 and DX11? It makes a huge difference in framerate on DX11 when I tested it in the past but DX12 looks like it doesn't do anything.

Message 5 of 6 (3,041 Views)

★★★ Novice
This was marked as solved but what was the solution? I suffer the very same problem since the feb 13 update, microstutters that make the game borderline unplayable. I also tried every combination of DX11/DX12, FFR on/of, vsync on/off, gsync on/off, low/ultra settings and it makes no difference at all! Microstutters are always there, indeed CPU frametime spikes can be seen.
This is the only game I have these problems with, all my other games run perfectly.
Message 6 of 6 (2,855 Views)