BF5 crashes to desktop with DXR enabled

by GRABibus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BF5 crashes to desktop with DXR enabled

★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I open a thread concerning my issue.

"BF5 crashes to desktop when DXR is enabled".

If I play with D11, or D12 (Without DXR), no problem, the game runs smooth.

But as soon as I enable DXR, my game crashes to desktop, in a second or after some minutes of games, randomly.

Here is my spec :

MSI Sea Hawk X 2080Ti

Core i7-5930@4.6GHz

RAM 32GB@3200MHz

Windows 10  1903 64bits

Drivers 436.15.

I have tried many many things :

Clear Origin cache

Repair the game files

Trying an older driver (431.60)

Removing overclock from my CPU, RAM and GPU

Disabling MSI afterburner and other softwares during game

Playning with lower resolution in game, with all options set to low.

Etc...

No way.

Just to say, i have tried my GTX 1080Ti, and there is the same issue !

This reduces the probability a lot that the rootcause is that my 2080Ti would be defect.

I have seen many many threads on this subject.

One friend of mine just bought a 2080Ti this week, same issue !

What can we expect to solve this ?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (931 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: BF5 crashes to desktop with DXR enabled

★★★★ Novice

I think I solved...
After many conclusions and thinkings, I came back to GPU overclock.

I have a MSI 2080Ti Sea Hawk X, which is factory OC.
At stock frequencies (Which is a factory Oc) => DXR enabled in BFV => Crash

I flashed it with GALAX Bios 380W (Which gives also factory OC) ;
At stock frequencies (Which is a factory OC) => DXR enabled in BFV => Crash

I flashed it again (As my cooler is really good) with ASUS XOC Bios 1000W (Which provides also factory OC) :
At stock frequencies (Which is a factory OC) => No more crash with DXR enabled !!

Then, I decided to tweak during hours and I could play for one 3 hours with DXR enabled with :
+130MHz on Core (Which gives 2085MHz and GPU temp=47°C in my room which is at 25°C)
+1200MHz on memory(Which gives 16400MHz memory versus 14000MHz stock).

So it seems that the issue is due here to some factory OC's (MSI Sea Hawk with factory Bios and with Galax Bios).
But, with ASUS XOC Bios (Which is quite power unlimited, in fact 1000W power limit), behavior seems completely different versus DXR....
Don't ask me why...

I also used the advices of this person and I am sure it helped a lot :

https://blog.birkhoff.me/solution-to-battlefield-v-keeping-crashing-on-win10/

Of course I am not sure I found the solution, I will play more hours and conclude definitely.
But, until now, 10mns was the max I could play before crash. And today, I could play 3 hours with above mentionned OC and ASUS XOC Bios.

My conclusion is :

- First, apply the advises of the link : https://blog.birkhoff.me/solution-to-battlefield-v-keeping-crashing-on-win10/

- If you have a "non factory overclocked GPU", and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, try to downclock step by step until you don't have no more crashes.

-  If you have a "factory overcloked GPU" and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, try to downclock step by step until you don't have no more crashes.

- If you have a factory overclocked GPU and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, and if your card can accept a XOC Bios (1000W or 2000W depending of the BIos), then try it...

At your own risk of course (I will not be responsible of any damages on your GPU due to bad Bios flash).

all XOC Bios are listed here in the first page of this excellent overclock.net thread :

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1706276-official-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-owner-s-club.html

BE CAREFUL, DON'T FLASH A CARD WITH A NON SUITABLE BIOS OR IF YOU ARE NOT SKILLED FOR THIS...

For me it worked, with the ASUS XOC Bios "8xpin" 1000W (The first one listed of the XOC Bios list), which is suitable for the MSI 2080Ti Sea Hawk X (Reference PCB, device ID with 1E07 inside, binned 300A chip).

If i disable DXR, I can play in DX12 at BFV without any crashes with +150MHz overclock on GPU.

If I enabled DXR, I am obliged to decrease my GPU OC by addind +130MHz on GPU. Otherwise, I crash (Even with +140MHz)

I will play more hours to be sure this is my solution.

hope this can help you.

cheers.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (782 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I've also experienced some crashed with RTX enabled that were solved by updating both the game and Windows to the latest version. For the videodrivers i would like to suggest you to perform a clean installation of the driver. Also if that does not help try cleaning out your temporary Windows files and do a system cleanup after windows updates are finished. If that doesn't help you could try to do a clean boot of Windows

_________________________________________________________________________________

▪Did you find my post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did my post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

EA Champion

I'm simply a Volunteer, and do not work for EA
Message 2 of 6 (877 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

All this has been already done, it doesn't solve.

Message 3 of 6 (870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I think I solved...

I flashed it again (As my cooler is really good) with ASUS XOC Bios 1000W (Which provides also factory OC) :
At stock frequencies (Which is a factory OC) => No more crash with DXR enabled !!

Then, I decided to tweak during hours and I could play for one 3 hours with DXR enabled with :
+130MHz on Core (Which gives 2085MHz and GPU temp=47°C in my room which is at 25°C)

So it seems that the issue is due here to some factory OC's (MSI Sea Hawk with factory Bios and with Galax Bios).
But, with ASUS XOC Bios (Which is quite power unlimited, in fact 1000W power limit), behavior seems completely different versus DXR....
Don't ask me why...

Of course I am not sure I found the solution, I will play more hours and conclude definitely.
But, until now, 10mns was the max I could play before crash. And today, I could play 3 hours with above mentionned OC and ASUS XOC Bios.

My conclusion is :

- First, apply the advises of the link : https://blog.birkhoff.me/solution-to-battlefield-v-keeping-crashing-on-win10/

- If you have a "non factory overclocked GPU", and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, try to downclock step by step until you don't have no more crashes.

-  If you have a "factory overcloked GPU" and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, try to downclock step by step until you don't have no more crashes.

- If you have a factory overclocked GPU and if you have CTD in BFV with DXR enabled, and if your card can accept a XOC Bios (1000W or 2000W depending of the BIos), then try it...

At your own risk of course (I will not be responsible of any damages on your GPU due to bad Bios flash).

all XOC Bios are listed here in the first page of this excellent overclock.net thread :

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1706276-official-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-owner-s-club.html

BE CAREFUL, DON'T FLASH A CARD WITH A NON SUITABLE BIOS OR IF YOU ARE NOT SKILLED FOR THIS...

For me it worked, with the ASUS XOC Bios "8xpin" 1000W (The first one listed of the XOC Bios list), which is suitable for the MSI 2080Ti Sea Hawk X (Reference PCB, device ID with 1E07 inside, binned 300A chip).

If i disable DXR, I can play in DX12 at BFV without any crashes with +150MHz overclock on GPU.

If I enabled DXR, I am obliged to decrease my GPU OC by addind +130MHz on GPU. Otherwise, I crash (Even with +140MHz)

hope this can help you.

cheers.

Message 4 of 6 (767 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think I solved...

Don't ask me why...

My conclusion is :

hope this can help you.

cheers.

Message 5 of 6 (783 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This crashes can happen so rarely that at first it may seem that the problem is solved, and later it turns out that this is not so. And 3 hours without new problems is not a guarantee that this will not happen again. I think that if the problem is partially solved by flashing the new BIOS version, then in my opinion this issue can be resolved at the global level simply by releasing a new driver on which all video cards with any BIOS version will work stably. However, today (02.16.2020) this has not been done and this terrible game continues to crash.

Message 6 of 6 (575 Views)