BF1 and BF5 Random Freeze

by DischarginMarvin

Original Post

BF1 and BF5 Random Freeze

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I saw someone else enter this like a bug report so I'll do the same.  

Product: Battlefield V AND Battlefiled 1
Platform: PC
Please specify your platform model: Home built.  Ryzen 1700X.  Windows 10 Pro.
Video Card: nvidia 1080
RAM: 32gb 
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Multiplayer
Which part of the mode? Conquest or any mode really.
Please enter your region: North America
On which server did this happen? Any
When did this happen?  This started happening after I formatted all of my drives and reinstalled Windows 10.  The issue did not happen prior to formatting/reinstall.  Reinstalled Windows on 12/10.  
Summarize your bug:  On both Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5, the game starts to freeze up after playing anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.  When the game freezes, there is a stutter and then the video completely stops (frozen on whatever I was doing last), the game will not accept any input from the mouse or keyboard but the audio still plays.  CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.  I can, however, often times simply press ALT TAB and swap out to my windows desktop.  I can usually then swap back to the game and continue playing for a few more minutes.  I can usually only go through that a few times before my PC locks up completely.  Sometimes the PC locks up completely on the first time.  When I say it locks up completely, I mean the PC accepts no input at all, video still frozen on screen, sound eventually starts to stutter (after about a minute of playing fine), and I have to turn the PC off.  

----- I have several other games that do not have this problem!
How often does the bug occur? After 10-30 minutes of playing.
Steps taken: Prior to formatting, I made note of all of the drivers I had installed.  When I reinstalled Windows, I made sure to install the same versions of those drivers.  When I started having the issue, I made sure all drivers were up-to-date.  I have turned off my small overclock (though I shouldn't have had to do this since the game played fine prior to reinstalling windows), deleted origin and the games then reinstalled, attempted to download any directX or .net update/patch I could from Microsoft though most wouldn't install since I had newer installed by default in Win10, I updated my Win10 build, reverted nvidia drivers to older versions but couldn't use them cause of the driver version check BF does, set video settings in game to minimum, disabled overlays on anything that has one such as discord, origin, windows game mode, nvidia experience, etc, suppressed Windows "toast" alerts, tried directX12 but had horrible performance, disabled gsync, ran as admin, increased process priority, closed out all other apps and stopped services, probably more stuff that I'm forgetting.
What happens when the bug occurs?  As mentioned above, the screen freezes and I can either alt tab out and back in to continue playing or I have to reboot the PC.
What should be happening instead? The game should be stable as it was prior to me reinstalling Windows.

I appreciate any tips you guys may have.

Message 1 of 5 (1,055 Views)

Re: BF1 and BF5 Random Freeze

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

While browsing the support forums I saw some mention of extra hard drives. I'm not sure how those could be a problem but I did install an extra drive. My current setup consists of a Samsung 970 M.2 with my OS on it, 2 tb spinner with misc files on it, Samsung 500gb ssd with games on it (including BF), Samsung 250gb ssd with more games on it. Plenty of free space on all of the drives. I did remap my Windows Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc folders to the large spinner though. I can unmap that and set it back to C:\users like normal and test. I really don't want to have to pull one of my extra drives though. Why would BF care about extra drives?

Message 2 of 5 (1,031 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same issue. It was OK before Xmas. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and it's crashed ever since.

As the OP stated. I can Alt-Tab out and back in again 2 or 3 times and the game will run (people can still hear me on Teamspeak too) but eventually, the PC locks up completely (no one can hear me on TS etc) and nothing responds so I have to hit reset.

I case it's of any use, just as I hit Alt-Tab to minimize the game, I see the screen update for a couple of frames.

Setup is WIn10 Pro x64

GTX970 with latest drivers

Intel i7-7700K

16GB 

Battlefield V is running on the C: dive SanDisk SATA 960GB SSD

Other drives are

D: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA SSD

S: Samsung 950 EVO 250GB SSD

J: Hitachi ST External USB3 4TB HDD

Nothing suspicious in the event logs

Message 3 of 5 (913 Views)

@DischarginMarvin

Did you set your power management profile to performance? That often helps when similar issues occur.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 4 of 5 (891 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Things I tried:

Verify game files
Playing in low or ultra settings
Playing in full screen and borderless
Playing with dx12 and without it
Stress test the graphics card, cpu, and ssd
(they all performed normaly)
Sfc scannow in cmd

Run the game as administrator
Redownload the game
Clean my computer from dust
My computer:
Windows 10 64bit Pro
Gpu - rtx 2080
Cpu - Intel core i7 7700k
Memory- 32gb
I have the latest nividia driver and windows update

Reset your router and modem
ipconfig /flushdns
Sfc /scannow
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

power % sleep setting
change plan settings
change advance settings
turn off hard disks down arrow till never.
DNSBench
changed my DNS to
or
156.154. 70. 22
156.154. 70. 1

Now it only freezes when I go in a game my friend started and I join him then it freezes like crazy every couple of minutes stop and start stop start stop start might run for a couple of secs but then stops then starts up again back into the game I could be laying down or running it will freeze then thaw go for awhile the freeze or stop. Now he has Spectrum I have FIOS both high speed and I had the lowest ping I had 12 everyone else had 2 digits ping latency they had 20-70 ping and I was still start stop start stop, so I would love to hear why.

Message 5 of 5 (590 Views)