Re: Audio cutout issue with Ryzen overclock

by RabidChasebot

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I'm having this exact same issue, except what causes it seems to be opposite to most of the people in this thread. BIOS overclock causes the sound issues while Ryzen Master does not. However using Ryzen Master seems to make my game crash quite often, especially on higher clocks. Using the same OC settings in  the BIOS is stable aside from the audio.

Ryzen 1700

MSI B350 MATE

Gigabyte Windforce 6GB 1060

Windows 10 1803

Something that's interesting is that if I OC in the BIOS, Task Manager shows the CPU speed at default stock 3ghz but if I OC in Ryzen Master, the clockspeed is showed correctly. My crazy theory is that maybe the audio engine in Frostbite titles is somehow dependent on the clockspeed that Windows reports. I am going to try testing a 100mhz underclock in the BIOS and see if it has the same effect and I'll update this post.

EDIT: Underclocking to 2.95ghz gave the same audio problems as overclocking. Any change to the multiplier in BIOS seems to trigger the problem. Currently on BIOS version 7A34vAD released March 20th 2018. Will try updating to 7A34vAE released on May 4th 2018 and will report back.

2nd EDIT: Updating the MSI B350 BIOS to 7A34vAE solved the issue. It's using AGESA version 1.0.0.2a. Still getting constant crashes and lockups in BF1 since the Weapons Crate patch but I believe that's a whole other issue entirely.

Message 91 of 107 (2,279 Views)

★★ Novice

I have same problem with BF4 and BFH i was running a R7 1700 @ 3.7GHZ in a ASROCK AB350M Pro4 with bios revision 4.70 AMD AGESA to PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.1a.

I then saw people on here say that the problem went away with the latest revision and Agesa so I installed Bios 4.82 AMD PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.2a and wow it made my OC more stable but, IT DID NOT FIX THE STUTTERS/ AUDIO CUTOUT/ AUDIO LOOP ISSUE... so i want EA to see this as i bump this thread up... IT IS STILL A PROBLEM and only happens on ORIGIN GAMES.

Message 92 of 107 (2,050 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Can confirm, updated my Asrock x370 Killer Sli to the newest Beta Bios 4.71 with the AMD PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.2a version and it did NOT solve the problem. 
I'm not able to play Battlefield 1 since months and I don't want to roll back to an older Bios version, because 4.7 was the first that made my ram run at 3200mhz. 

Since EA, even after years, didn't even give one reply on this topic I won't buy Battlefield V. Too big is the possibility of getting left aside with some serious bugs that make the game unplayable. 

Message 93 of 107 (1,867 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Can confirm, have the same issues on my Asrock X370 Taichi (Bios ver 4.60), overclocked via Bios, audio cut outs in Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4 and Battlefront.

Message 94 of 107 (1,844 Views)

★ Novice

I opened a topic in the ASRock Forum. For the x370 Killer SLI there is already a 4.73 BETA BIOS. 

Installed it -> Problem solved! Battlefield 1 with a Ryzen 1700 @ 4,0 Ghz and 3200mhz Ram runs like a charm.

The 4.73 Bios isn't listed on the official ASRock homepage yet, so you have to download it somewhere else. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links so I advice you to search for "x37 Killer Sli Frostbyte Engine" on the official ASRock Forum. Like this you can find the topic I opened with the neccessary steps to install 4.73

Message 95 of 107 (1,799 Views)

★ Novice

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7Ghz
CPU Cooler: Stock Ryzen 7 Wraith Spire (LED)
GPU: MSI - GTX 1060 6GB Areo OC
RAM: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB @ 2400MHz (1 x 8)
PSU: Corsair - CX550M 550W 
MOBO: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX
SSD: SanDisk - SSD Plus 240GB
HDD: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus 1TB

Audio issues similar to everyone else on this forum, even after updating my BIOS to the latest version. Since people seem to be having luck with a BIOS beta that's out for my mobo, I might want to try that out soon. Thanks, and good luck to everyone here.

Message 96 of 107 (1,740 Views)

★ Apprentice
X370 Taichi - BetaBIOS 4.72 worked successfully for me. Now recognises Corsair Vengeance at 3000mhz as it should instead of 2933 I think it was. Also seems to have solved my Battlefield 1 sound cutout, choppiness, music track constantly stopping/changing issues. Crazy we have to wait for a beta bios to appear somewhere and for it to have taken so long; not a great customer experience whoever is at fault (AMD/ASRock)
Message 97 of 107 (1,657 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I don;t have Ryzen but an Intel i9 7900x- its delidded, low temps and OCed. I havent experienced this issue before. When playing yesterday I lost the audio completely mid-game. I play BF1 since day one and this is the first time it happened. While in game I have asked on the chat and people confirmed it tends to happen.

Its odd that OC causes this kind of issues, especially when majority of the CPUs support Turbo Boost and auto OC.

I have MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC motherboard with the latest bios. Windows 10 with all the drivers up 2 date.

Message 98 of 107 (1,603 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Literally has nothing to do with this thread m8

@Judge_Dredd_80 wrote:

I don;t have Ryzen but an Intel i9 7900x- its delidded, low temps and OCed. I havent experienced this issue before. When playing yesterday I lost the audio completely mid-game. I play BF1 since day one and this is the first time it happened. While in game I have asked on the chat and people confirmed it tends to happen.

Its odd that OC causes this kind of issues, especially when majority of the CPUs support Turbo Boost and auto OC.

I have MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC motherboard with the latest bios. Windows 10 with all the drivers up 2 date.

Message 99 of 107 (1,590 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey mate, what do you mean, I just have different CPU not AMD but I am experiencing  audio issues like other people here ;(

Message 100 of 107 (1,580 Views)