by malogeek

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Audio cutout issue with Ryzen overclock

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: Battlefield 1
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Ryzen platform software overclock causing audio cutout issues in Battlefield 1.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Enable any amount of overclock on a Ryzen 7 processor via a software solution like Ryzen Master or the motherboard maker's own overclocking software. This does not occur when the processor is overclocked via the BIOS. The amount of overclock is irrelevant, whether it is 25Mhz or 800Mhz, nor the amount of voltage applied is irrelevant. The only condition that needs to be met is that some kind of overclock is applied to the CPU via software in Windows 10 (not tested under 7/8). EDIT: Since the BIOS updates from early 2018 onwards, it is irrelevant whether it is overclocked in BIOS or software, it is affecting users.
What happens when the bug occurs? The audio in BF1 will cutout intermittently. In the menus this will cause the background music to suddenly stop and a new track will start. The track could play for 1 second, 5 seconds, or more but randomly it will stop and a new track will start. During gameplay, environmental sounds will cutout constantly causing gaps in audio or completely missing gun sounds.
Please select your region North America
In what game mode did the bug occur? Conquest
AMD or Nvidia Model Number
Enter RAM memory size in GB

Since I first built my Ryzen system and discovered the bug, I've gathered information from others to confirm the bug and which platforms it affects. This bug occurs on any Ryzen 7 platform when either the Ryzen Master software or the motherboard makers control software is used to overclock the processor to any degree. When even a slight overclock is applied, audio will randomly stop in BF1. This overclock could be as little as 25Mhz, it doesn't matter how little or how much is applied, only that the overclock is applied via software in Windows 10. Testing has been conducted by several Ryzen owners across several brands of motherboards as well as different overclocking software provided by AMD or the motherboard manufacturer.

Testing has also been conducted on motherboards containing onboard Realtek ALC1220, ALC892 and actual audio cards, all exhibit the same issue in Battlefield 1.

To summarize:

• The overclock is performed by software (eg. Ryzen Master, Asus AS Suite, MS command center) will cause the issue
  • The overclock performed in BIOS will NOT cause the issue. EDIT: BIOS overclocking is now causing issue for all users with latest BIOS on Ryzen
  • The amount of overclock is irrelevant, a mere 25Mhz boost with no voltage will cause the problem
  • This is not a "choppy audio" issue. The sounds actually cease playing by the engine indicated by the music in the menus constantly stopping and starting a new track
  • This has been reported by gamer to be occurring in BF1, BF4, SW:BG and Inquisition. No other games have been reported to have this problem, only modern EA titles.

Discussion thread at Anandtech forums.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-oc-battlefield-1-audio-issue.2501204/

Youtube video of issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8Ns6t-n9s&t=14s

Message 1 of 107 (12,611 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Audio cutout issue with Ryzen overclock

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Atic wrote:

Hey, @Judge_Dredd_80 This topic is specific for Ryzen over-clock sound issue.

If you got sound issues I recommend that you make a new topic here on the BF and we will take look. Standard smile

/Atic 

Can we close this thread as the issue has been resolved. 

View in thread

Message 107 of 107 (8,147 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Im having exactly the same problem. Only happens in BF1 if i use ryzen master to overclock. Every game ive tested works fine in sound department except for BF1. Audio is always cutting and in the menus the music plays for 3 seconds and skip for the next one.

Ryzen 1700

Asus Prime X370 Pro

16GB 3200 Gskill CL14 @ 2933

Message 2 of 107 (12,480 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same exact issue with BF4 on my system.

Ryzen 7 1700

MSI B350 Tomahawk 1.20 BIOS

Message 3 of 107 (12,471 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this exact same issue, both with Battlefield 1 and Star Wars: Battlefront. Any overclock on my Ryzen 7 1700 causes sound issues in both games. Not sure if it is related to that game engine specifically, or what. I have a Gigabyte AB350M-D3H motherboard. 

Message 4 of 107 (12,442 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This bug also effects Star Wars Battlefront. 

Message 5 of 107 (12,429 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I've received reports that it is also affecting Inquisition.

How do we get someone at EA to see and acknowledge this? It's a serious bug affecting most Ryzen owners.

Message 6 of 107 (12,418 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same problem with amd 955.

Change de multi um cpu bad sound..

Message 7 of 107 (12,305 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Same problem here, but also when overclocking in bios, my rig: ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 ghz, 32gb corsair 2933 mhz, fatal1ty k4 x370, i have tested it with onboard sound as with asus strix soar too, it's always the same...
Message 8 of 107 (12,108 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have exactly the same problem with the sound. Game Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1.
Last updated.
Ryzen 5 1600x, HyperX 16GB, ASRock X370 Fatal1ty ...
Will anyone solve it anymore?Devil

Message 9 of 107 (11,435 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just came over to Ryzen camp. I have MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB Corsair DDR4 at 3000Mhz, EVGA GTX 1080. Experiencing same issue. Was overclocking in BIOS, had it stable at 3.9. Latest drivers. Thought it was my motherboard drivers and sound card. Then saw these threads about OC issues. went back to stock settings and BF1 is working again. Sound issue is gone. I may go back to Intel. Nothing but headaches so far with Ryzen for the past month.

Message 10 of 107 (11,254 Views)