Application r5apex.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware

★★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number nVidia Geforce GTX 1080ti Aorus Xtreme edition
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? DELTASABRE69
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Lifeline
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Happends all over the map
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Can happen when just running, or looting, or shooting, or dropping... any time
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 1-2
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 20/02/2019 02:45 UK time. But happens multiple times a session
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Screen freezes. I have to crash to desktop and kill the process.
What should be happening instead? Games should not freeze
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Unsure. happy to provide any diagnosti

Specs:

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8

GPU: Aorus 1080ti Xtreme

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3866

Fully custom water loop and temps are all low (max 55c)

I can play for maximum of 1 or 2 games before the screen freezes and I have to go to task manager to kill the process.

When running all latest drivers, near enough all settings on max with the exception of texture streaming set to high, when it crashes I get an error in the event log saying;

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

To try and fix this, I tried running the game as admin, running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7, same for easyanticheat. That didn't work.

I then tried adding the reg keys for TdrDelay setting it to 8. I still get the same freezing, but now I get a different error;

Application r5apex.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware

I then repeated the above two tests on older drivers, and I still have the same problem.

This is seriously annoying. I have a friend who has exactly the same setup, but with a 1070, and he doesn't have this problem.

Message 1 of 32 (6,142 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Application r5apex.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

★★★★ Novice

I'd completely forgotten about this thread... the issues came back for me after a little while.

Turned out it was due to RAM compatibility with my board. I was running the XMP profile so I downclocked it a bit ( from 3866 to 3600 ) and I've not had any problems since 

View in thread

Message 23 of 32 (7,117 Views)

All Replies

Re: Application r5apex.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware

★★★ Novice

I have this same issue, although for me it happens before I even get to the main menu of the game and is 100% repeatable ever since the 2/13/19 patch. Click left mouse button on the landing page, I see the little AL loading icon in the bottom right, it freezes, and I get the same "blocked" message you're getting. 

And I have a 1070. 

Message 2 of 32 (6,094 Views)

★★★ Newbie
hey.. i tried first 3 steps in video and it worked... can you try also?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l76OQKDt6pc
Message 3 of 32 (5,941 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So, setting both Origin and Apex to run as admin and disabling Origin in game for Apex.

Yea that didn't work.

I did a bit more testing but then realised I'm getting this in other games too, and not just origin ones.

I'm narrowing it down to either my pcie slot, my pcie riser cable or the GPU it's self. 

Message 4 of 32 (5,904 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Have you try to disable your 3rd party anti-virus (such as Malwarebytes). Because after I disable it the game work perfectly fine.

Message 5 of 32 (5,633 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Most likely this is a issue with your Firewall / Antivirus. 

Add Apex Legends to it's acceptations list, or temporarily disable your Antivirus / Firewall while playing the game. 

Make sure to also be using the latest drivers for Nvidia, as they recently released a newer version to help with Apex Issues. 

Message 6 of 32 (5,628 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey,

I have added all subfolders of C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin and \Origin Games to the exclusion list for my AV.

Still having issues. I'm working with nvidia support too so I'll update here when I get an outcome

Message 7 of 32 (5,628 Views)

★★ Guide

@DeltaSabre69 wrote:

Hey,

I have added all subfolders of C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin and \Origin Games to the exclusion list for my AV.

Still having issues. I'm working with nvidia support too so I'll update here when I get an outcome

Which AV are you using?  Knowing that would be helpful. 

Message 8 of 32 (5,626 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Its Avast Home

Message 9 of 32 (5,622 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are adding the acceptions to the Avast Scanner, which only skips them over when scanning for viruses. 

I'm not very familiar with Avast, but you should be adding the acceptions to the firewall side of things.  

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Antivirus-Firewall-Application-Rules

You should be adding the executable to the acception list, which should then resolve the issue. It's the firewall that is messing you up, and not the files themselves. 

If you don't want to take any risks, you can easily test it but turning avast completely off and play a round or two in game. If the issue doesn't happen, it's definitely the firewall causing the issue. 

Message 10 of 32 (5,621 Views)