Re: Apex suddenly became unplayable

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Apex suddenly became unplayable

★★ Novice

Since yesterday my apex games became soo stuttering even though my fps is locked at 75 fps, it has reached a point that i can't play anymore as i see an enemy, it stutters a bit then i die

ive been playing apex since the tail end of season 8 and had no problems outside log-in issues which has been fixed 

nothing has changed on my PC, i have not added any new parts nor have i installed anything new for a couple of months now 

Message 1 of 9 (807 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @VelveteenCupcake

Have you been keeping an eye on your CPU and RAM usage around the time this is happening? Are you seeing anything strange there? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 9 (766 Views)

★★ Novice

i did check but i dont have a baseline to compare it to

CPU was 40-60%

GPU was 80-98%

HDD was stuck at 100% all the way which i thought was odd coz i installed the game on my SSD and yet it used my HDD for some reason

memory was round 60-90% depending on stuff i did in game

Message 3 of 9 (746 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@VelveteenCupcake Sounds like you could possibly be running low on ram. At about 90% ram usage, VRAM starts to take over causing a lot of hard drive activity which is what I believe could be causing the stuttering issue. Playing this game I would recommend system memory of 16GB and GPU Memory of 4GB + maybe 3GB if you put pretty much all the settings on low. The default disk used for Virtual Memory is the drive with Windows installed onto it, which could likely be the one that's at 100% I'm assuming.

Message 4 of 9 (721 Views)

★★ Novice

well i do have 16gb ram and my video card has 4gb vram 

and ive been playing this game since the tail end of season 8 and even managed to climb to diamond in ranks in season 9 without issues 

the stuttering just started a couple days ago for me and is now really unplayable and the odd things is that the FPS counter is pretty much still at 75fps even though im stuttering 

Message 5 of 9 (712 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

i guess i know why ... seems like they dropped the exclusive fullscreen mode, its literally the same as the borderless window now.
Olympus never dropped under 120fps on my end, stayed mostly at the capped 144fps when using Exclusive Full, while borderless could go as  low as 80fps,
now it behaves the same ... also my display would switch to black for a sec before i could alt+tab into the game. now it behaves like any other window.
so my bet : they * the fullscreen mode

Message 6 of 9 (704 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the updates, everyone. I'll pass this along. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 7 of 9 (675 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah Apex just became unplayable for no reason from week or more ago for me , it freezes my hard drive after a 2 to 5 minutes of playing. also nothing changed on my PC, played every day for hours last 6 mounths without problem, now it's impossible to play. tried everything.... this is so strange because there was no updates nothing changed, game just became unplayable for no reason what the hell???  other games works normal without problems like battlefield 1 and 5 ... i guess i can just wait for some random update and hope it gets fixed... so sad.

Message 8 of 9 (613 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

The problem started to emerge for me after Genesis ended as well. I didn't cap my fps and it could go up to 120fps fine in the legend picking screen. Problem started to emerge when the map starting to load. The fps became very unstable, fluctuating between 29fps to 80fps all the time in Olympus. It's even worse in World's Edge. Fps dropped to a single-digit number right after I land. I have started playing since the mid of season 8 and had no such problem. I could run more demanding games in stable 60fps for hours. Now I couldn't even play this game in the lowest setting. We pretty much can only wait for some patch addressing this issue.

Message 9 of 9 (588 Views)