Re: Apex shuts down my ps4, it says overheated then playstation shuts off.

by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

Apex shuts down my ps4, it says overheated then playstation shuts off.

★★ Novice

After I pass the main menu into the menu where you can choose what game you desire and character. A blue screen appears saying ps4 is over heated. The ps4 fan spins very fast as if it needs cooling down, and the ps4 shuts off automatically. I cant play the game.  This only happens when trying to play Apex. It is as if the game itself causes the shut down. My ps4 has been cleaned and well ventilated. The shut down happens only when opening this game. Even after my ps4 has been off for a day and i try playing the game first it says system overheated and shuts down my ps4.  Has anyone stopped this from happenning? Its a bug i doubt EA will address or fix. They ll try to say its not the game. Probably because of money. They dont have enough to fix or the issue is not as widespread.

Message 1 of 17 (2,091 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, @Kremlocke1 

Posts like this are always concerning. We don't want to see consoles suffer hardware issues from our games.

I need to ask you some questions here to see what we can do.

1. What version of the PS4 do you have?
  2. Do you use an external hard drive?
  3. Do you have any other devices plugged into your PS4?
  4. How much space is free on our HD?
  5. Have you tried re-installing the game or attempted a factory reset of the console?
  6. Is your PS4 in a cubby or is it in the open where enough air can circulate around it?
  7. Do you have the power plugged straight into the wall or into a surge protector? If it's a surge protector, how old is it?
Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 17 (2,067 Views)

★★ Novice

1. Ps4 Pro/ star wars edition.

2. I do not use an external hard drive.

3. There are no devices plugged into the ps4.

4. There is 400 GB unused.

5. Yes ive reinstalled the game.

6. My ps4 is in the open.

7. The power is plugged into an extension cord.

It shuts the ps4 down 75% of the times i try to play apex. When the game works a blue screen still pops up warning of overheating and i push x to exit the warning blue screen, then it finishes loading and i can play.

So the blue screen pops up in the menu where i press triangle to search for a game... while on that screen the fans starts spinning loudly and the blue s reen od overheating pops up... some times it allows me to press x to exit, most of the time it shuts the system off.

Message 3 of 17 (2,055 Views)

Community Manager
@Kremlocke1 Does it overheat if you don't play with an extension cord?
Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 17 (2,051 Views)

★★ Novice

The ps4 isnt hot when it shuts down saying overheated.

Yes it shuts down even when plugged directly into the wall. I checked. Could i send you a short video showing it cut off. Is sending you a video on here even possible?

Message 5 of 17 (2,020 Views)

Community Manager

@Kremlocke1 

Have you tried playing the game with it plugged into a different outlet in the house to rule out the possibility of it being electrical related? You can upload a video on here if you have enough XP. If not, a link to a YouTube video is acceptable.

Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 17 (1,990 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, here is a link to a video just created Oct. 2nd.

https://youtu.be/zHISYa3sUHk

Message 7 of 17 (1,917 Views)

Community Manager
@Kremlocke1 Thanks.

Have you tried plugging the console into a different wall outlet without the extension cord?

Is the console actually hot when you play it? Do you have the PS4 on the side or upright?
Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 17 (1,879 Views)

★★ Novice

The ps4 is upright. Apex is the first thing id try to play after powering on the ps4 and it still flashes to hot. Not all the time though.

Message 9 of 17 (1,857 Views)

Community Manager

@Kremlocke1 

Does the console actually feel warm when it crashes though? 

Blueberry.png
Message 10 of 17 (1,824 Views)