Re: Apex legends - dxgi_error_device_hung

by xuvvy

Original Post

★★★ Novice

@brichey01 wrote:

Simply go to your registry: Start --> Run --> Type in "Regedit"

(32bit) Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" and create a key of type "DWORD (32-bit)" and name "TdrDelay" with a value of 10 as Decimal value.

(64bit) Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" and create a key of type "QWORD (64-bit)" and name "TdrDelay" with a value of 10 as Decimal value.

Then Restart Computer and Play.

This worked for me, It seems on AMD GPU's there is no value for how long the GPU can go without a signal before crashing to desktop. Adding this value gives Windows instructions on how long before shooting us the Device_Hung code. making this value larger than 8 prevents this in my case. I will update this if it fails and stops working but I have a hunch this is the issue with AMD Gpu's.

Edit: I attached the way it should look in RegEdit

Game crashed again so I increased the value to 13 and have not had a crash since, however Training area will still cause the error for me.

That's not a fix! It's just a delay for the issue to happen as often. If that was a fix everyone would not be complaining as there is at least 100 videos of that on YouTube and posts about that so your copy and paste is not making you a hero mate.

Message 91 of 340 (4,000 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've logged over 20 hours in game the past week and a half with little to no problems, but ever since I downloaded the update early this afternoon now I get this crash every couple matches, sometimes during character select, sometimes in the middle of a match. 

Message 92 of 340 (3,834 Views)

★★ Novice

Till last week i played the game on a 1080GTX -> No Crashes in 20+hours.

Since then i have a 2080 RTX TI -> Crashes every 5 - 20 Minutes.

Apex Update -> no effect

New Nvidia driver -> no effect

Registry Edit -> no effect

Several changes in graphic settings (as described here) -> no effect

Definitely a issue in relatioin with RTX 2080 - driver - game.

I stopped playing this game, because it is to frustrating playing and then suddenly crash out.

Hopefully a fix comes out in short time.

In the meanwhile i play metro exodus or battlefield -> No crashes !!

Message 93 of 340 (4,088 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Same! Have the same video card.
Message 94 of 340 (4,044 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Who marked this as 'Solved'? The TdrDelay fix doesn't even work for me, it just freezes and then 2 seconds later I can hear the same error popping up in the background while the game's screen is frozen. Devs screwed up their spaghetti code and they need to fix this, one shouldn't even have to look at the registry, let alone modify it, in order to play a game in two thousand * nineteen.

Message 95 of 340 (3,981 Views)

★★ Novice

what if what cause the crashes is fortnite they use the same anticheat haha

Message 96 of 340 (3,869 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@xuvvy wrote:

Who marked this as 'Solved'? The TdrDelay fix doesn't even work for me, it just freezes and then 2 seconds later I can hear the same error popping up in the background while the game's screen is frozen. Devs screwed up their spaghetti code and they need to fix this, one shouldn't even have to look at the registry, let alone modify it, in order to play a game in two thousand * nineteen.

EA support is marking things solved to make It look better. Regedit is a temporary fix we need an official patch to correct this. I've seen that the problem seems to have been found on the Discord and official subreddit so hopefully Tuesday's patch will include the fix. all these User solutions net 1-2 games then you need a restart. This should be priority 1 the last update only increased the total affected computers.  We are potential customers but the longer you make us wait the more likely we are to lose patience and find something new. 

Message 97 of 340 (3,440 Views)

Crashing after reverting my drivers

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

So I've been having the error "0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed." occur often when I'm playing the game and have since followed the advice of another post of reverting the NVIDIA Driver of 418.91 to the old 417.xx, but after playing a few games it began to do it again. Is there an actual fix for this?

Message 98 of 340 (2,622 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I might have a workaround for Radeon systems (not sure if this would help nVidia systems or not).  I admit, it's not a great workaround, but if you really wanna play, it's an option:

Reduce all your graphic settings in the game.  Everything.  Drop any options down by 1 level, or completely off for things like filtering.

For me, I was getting a crash every 5 minutes, on average.  With this change, I was able to play an hour without a crash.  It seems reducing the load on your GPU helps alleviate the problem.  Credit goes to reddit (don't have the post handy), where they talked about framerate limiting.  I wasn't sure how to do this with AMD, so I just dropped the settings for the same net effect.

Edit: I've attached (most) of my settings in case anyone wants to match them (Radeon 480).  Note, the final few that are offscreen, are just 1 level lower than max.

Message 99 of 340 (3,318 Views)

★ Novice

Well the 217.35 driver worked for me too but both the newer ones makes me crash all the time .

Running a 2080ti

Message 100 of 340 (3,259 Views)