Re: Apex legends - dxgi_error_device_hung

by DisabledWoman

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

[Admin Edit - the NVIDIA driver version 419.17 reports to address this issue. Thanks @Konform103 ]

First day I played for 5 hours, second day I played for 8 hours, during those 13 hours I had at least 10 crashes with the error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG".

Third day I had enough, downclocked CPU, Memory and Graphics Card, to below stock, just to be completely sure it wasn't that. And it still crashed with the DXGI error.

I experimented with texture settings and windowed borderless, as well as a FPS limiter set to 120. Nothing worked, and I did a quick google search and found a thread here on the EA forums, with multiple people using RTX cards saying they had the same issue as me, so at that point I was sure it wasn't on my end, it was simply a driver issue. I then read multiple reports of older drivers solving the problem, so I installed the 417.35 (December 12) driver for Windows 10 64-bit, over my previously installed 418.81 (February 4), I did not do a complete reinstall, simply started the install and installed it over my previous one, I did not chose "clean install" or even restarted my computer, just replaced the 418.81 files with 417.35, and I then started the game again and managed to play the game for 3 hours straight without a single DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crash.

I then put the computer to sleep, and the next day I played for another 6 hours without a single crash, and the day after that I restarted the computer and played another 6 hours without a crash.

So the conclusion is that 417.35 did completely solve my crashing, the DXGI error was completely gone.

System Specs: Z370, 9900K overclocked to 5GHz, 16GB DDR4 overclocked to 4000MHz CL16, RTX 2080 Ti at factory overclock (1900MHz) and game installed on Windows 10 Home 1809 (17763.292) on a SSD.

In-game settings: 2560 x 1440 (144 Hz), V-Sync Off, TSAA On, 16X AF, Textures on Medium and Model on High, the rest Disabled/Low/Off. Game still looks great and runs 120-144 FPS constantly.

I am also using ReShade (4.0.2) with LumaSharpen enabled, to counter the blurring that TSAA causes, so there's no jaggies and looks sharp. (Not caused any issues with anti-cheat, disconnects or crashing of any kind)

Message 31 of 340 (213,241 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Device hung and errorless crashes here. 8700k/RTX 2080.

Things I tried that did not work:

- Different drivers and DDDU

- TdrDelay and CpuPriorityClass registry edits
- Disabling GSync

- Disabling all overclocks

- Lowering in-game options

- Repairing via Origin
- Disabling all overlays/external programs

Thing I tried that seems to work:

- Limiting GPU power limit to 50% in MSI Afterburner

This of course costs fps and is a crappy solution, but it mitigates the crashes. This game is causing problems when these cards draw over a certain amount of power, I think. No other games are having this problem. Please give us a patch; your game is very good. 

Message 32 of 340 (21,358 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep

EVGA RTX 2080

i9-9900k

Not overclocked.

Message 33 of 340 (21,355 Views)

Re: Have 2 problem right now. Apex crashes and dced

Message 34 of 340 (16,608 Views)

★ Apprentice

i fixed it with removing the newest nvidia update!

instead of the new update i have installed the !!!!417.71!!!! from nvidia!

this worked for me 

specs : i7 8700K // rtx 2080 // 16gb RAM // WIN 10

Message 35 of 340 (21,116 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

For me the only fix i found its to activate vsync its fix it, if i disable it and have uncap fps i get the crash

specs : i7 8700K // rtx 2070 // 16gb RAM // WIN 10

Message 36 of 340 (20,965 Views)

★ Novice

4k over 100fps Highly doubt 

Message 37 of 340 (20,968 Views)

★★ Novice
hi guys quick update, i found that video and that actually fixed my dxgi error.
and no need for drivers downgrade!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyLWjfoQ294

hope it help you guys as well, please update me if it did !

i have i9900k with 2080TI
Message 38 of 340 (20,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am not 100% sure but I think that it is a change within newer drivers that are causing the problem for some cards. I recently downloaded this driver for my RTX 2080 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/en-us it says 411.63 ''2018.9.19'' on the site but once installed it says 417.35, dunno what is up with that but it seems to work! I used to get the hung crash every second or third game but I have not experienced a single crash since I installed this driver, this might change though but I have not found anything else to work for this long and I have tried almost everything.

Both 417.71 and 418.81 crashed for me. 

Uninstall your current drivers completely from the PC and install the driver that I linked or try an old driver for your GPU.

I will update this comment if the crash appears again, but this seems to be a very promising quick fix.

Message 39 of 340 (19,861 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am not 100% sure but I think that it is a change within newer drivers that are causing the problem for some cards. I recently downloaded this driver for my RTX 2080 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/en-us it says 411.63 ''2018.9.19'' on the site but once installed it says 417.35, dunno what is up with that but it seems to work! I used to get the hung crash every second or third game but I have not experienced a single crash since I installed this driver, this might change though but I have not found anything else to work for this long and I have tried almost everything.

Both 417.71 and 418.81 crashed for me. 

Uninstall your current drivers completely from the PC and install the driver that I linked or try an old driver for your GPU. I did not try to completely remove 417.71 and reinstall 417.71 because I got the crash with that update, but it might be worth a try.

I will update this comment if the crash appears again, but this seems to be a very promising quick fix.

Message 40 of 340 (19,860 Views)