Re: Apex legends - dxgi_error_device_hung

by Keyl0ggs

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Apex legends - dxgi_error_device_hung

★★ Apprentice

Hello, I recently got the game and keep getting this message "dxgi_error_device_hung the applications device failed due to badly formed command sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed" 

Drivers up to date and PC can certainly run it, tried repairing game files also.

Any idea what it could be or how I can fix it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 340 (214,041 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

[Admin Edit - the NVIDIA driver version 419.17 reports to address this issue. Thanks @Konform103 ]

First day I played for 5 hours, second day I played for 8 hours, during those 13 hours I had at least 10 crashes with the error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG".

Third day I had enough, downclocked CPU, Memory and Graphics Card, to below stock, just to be completely sure it wasn't that. And it still crashed with the DXGI error.

I experimented with texture settings and windowed borderless, as well as a FPS limiter set to 120. Nothing worked, and I did a quick google search and found a thread here on the EA forums, with multiple people using RTX cards saying they had the same issue as me, so at that point I was sure it wasn't on my end, it was simply a driver issue. I then read multiple reports of older drivers solving the problem, so I installed the 417.35 (December 12) driver for Windows 10 64-bit, over my previously installed 418.81 (February 4), I did not do a complete reinstall, simply started the install and installed it over my previous one, I did not chose "clean install" or even restarted my computer, just replaced the 418.81 files with 417.35, and I then started the game again and managed to play the game for 3 hours straight without a single DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crash.

I then put the computer to sleep, and the next day I played for another 6 hours without a single crash, and the day after that I restarted the computer and played another 6 hours without a crash.

So the conclusion is that 417.35 did completely solve my crashing, the DXGI error was completely gone.

System Specs: Z370, 9900K overclocked to 5GHz, 16GB DDR4 overclocked to 4000MHz CL16, RTX 2080 Ti at factory overclock (1900MHz) and game installed on Windows 10 Home 1809 (17763.292) on a SSD.

In-game settings: 2560 x 1440 (144 Hz), V-Sync Off, TSAA On, 16X AF, Textures on Medium and Model on High, the rest Disabled/Low/Off. Game still looks great and runs 120-144 FPS constantly.

I am also using ReShade (4.0.2) with LumaSharpen enabled, to counter the blurring that TSAA causes, so there's no jaggies and looks sharp. (Not caused any issues with anti-cheat, disconnects or crashing of any kind)

View in thread

Message 31 of 340 (213,658 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice
I am getting these errors aswell, frequently when ingame. Really frustrating to get this close to a win.. -.-
Message 2 of 340 (213,843 Views)

★★ Novice

same here.

Engine Error

0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG The applications device failed due to badly formed commands snt by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.
Message 3 of 340 (213,783 Views)

★★★ Novice
Same error, I hope they'll fix it, it's really frustrating being kicked out by the game this way
Message 4 of 340 (213,750 Views)

★★ Novice

Same, most up-to-date drivers and my PC is way above the specs required to run the game. I can run almost everything at 4k with over 100 FPS and I can't run this for more than 40 minutes?

Message 5 of 340 (213,177 Views)

Engine Error - DXGI

★ Novice

English: Anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

Português: Alguem tem ideia de como resolver

Message 6 of 340 (183,272 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Been getting the same error its driving me crazy been trying to find a work around but nothing seems to help, I've tried reverting drivers, full driver cleanup, repairing game, re installing game, changing power settings for computer, lowering graphics settings, and setting game priority to affinity.  

Nothing has fixed the problem yet I honestly think its going to be an issue with rtx cards until nvidia pushes out new drivers but from my understanding they just let go of  a bunch of people so we will have to see where that goes. ( could be wrong about nvidia just hear say from other people I know)

Message 7 of 340 (213,031 Views)

★★ Novice
Same problem here. I got AMD VEGA 56, so it´s not a Nvidia Cards problem
Message 8 of 340 (212,983 Views)

★★★ Novice

same here. I got Radeon R9 280x. first bad thing about this game NO SOLO mode, and now this error. I can't even play a single full match

Message 9 of 340 (212,964 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Im having the same problem and it make me crazy. My friend has the same computer specs with me and he has no crash.. This is random * or something that i can't understand. I tried a lot of things and i also installed a new Windows but still same.. Sometime i have also bad_module_info error too and i see that people who was playing PUBG got the same problem before..
Hope that they fix it ASAP.
Message 10 of 340 (212,916 Views)