Apex continues to disconnect in the middle of my game!!!

by VeryRareSensei

Original Post

Re: Apex continues to disconnect in the middle of my game!!!

★★★★ Novice

Hi there. I stopped all devices just in case after that one laggy matches and I know that is no longer the issue as I get a solid 2-5 minutes of gameplay without lag until it suddenly boots me with a leaf error.

I have tried:

Signing in and out of my profile.

Changing data center.

Hard resetting the xbox one overnight.

Hard resetting the router overnight.

Playing a different game (titanfall 2 lol) to test connection and it worked fine, went back to apex and the issue still occurred.

Message 31 of 55 (1,371 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry A further note, one troubleshoot I would like to do but cannot because of said internet speed is to reinstall the game. I am moving somewhere with better internet on the weekend but it would be nice to play tonight and tomorrow

Message 32 of 55 (1,366 Views)

★★ Novice

I had to get an Ethernet cable to solve the problem, but it’s still laggy, and can freeze causing me to lose many games, but I don’t have any downloads running, I’m on local servers, and am not sure of the problem

Message 33 of 55 (1,360 Views)

★★ Novice

Also, I play on pc, have very good internet, and sometimes apex legends will turn off the WiFi, disconnect me from WiFi and the game, before turning it back on again putting me back in, this happens like 1-2 times every 3 matches. As for the freezing, this is 3-4 times a game, I play wattson if that makes a difference, and really struggle to play at the moment.

Message 34 of 55 (1,357 Views)

Community Manager

@Dibdab001 

Do you have access to a PC or laptop where you can run a UO Trace to our servers so we can see what path your connection is taking?

It may not be your connection as the issue but a site it's hitting along the way that needs to be pinged to your ISP. The UO Trace program can be downloaded from our help article below.

Screenshot the UO Trace results and black out the first 2 hops to protect your IP before replying with it here. 

This is a good way to rule out any external factors before we dive into our more advanced troubleshooting. 

Connection Troubleshooting

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Blueberry.png
Message 35 of 55 (1,329 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry Here are the screenshots:

Screenshot1 EA.pngScreenshot2 EA.png

Hopefully this tells you more than it does for me!

Message 36 of 55 (1,321 Views)

Community Manager

@Dibdab001 

Do you play on a WiFi or wired connection and did you run that trace route from a WiFi or wired connection? 

Blueberry.png
Message 37 of 55 (1,311 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry  Wifi for both answers

Message 38 of 55 (1,310 Views)

Community Manager

@Dibdab001 

From an immediate glance at those results it's showing unacceptable ping for online gaming right out of the gates from your router. 

You mentioned you already power cycled your console and network. Do you know if your router has an option of two different WiFi channels? I have a 5.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz channel, I tend to get better results on the 5.0, but it can vary or everyone depending on where the router is in the house. If your console is far away from your router and behind multiple walls, that can disrupt your connection strength. It doesn't surprise me you're getting disconnected from matches with those results.

What I would do is try connecting to a different WiFi channel if possible. If not, you may want to try testing out the game by plugging in an Ethernet cable to see if you have better results. If that's the case, we can rule out it's WiFi strength related. 

If the results continue, changing your DNS on the console might yield some better results. We have steps on how to do that below.

Connection Troubleshooting

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Hope that helps. After doing all those steps, try running the trace again. If it continues to show this criteria below, it's best to get in touch with your ISP and show these results to them so they can investigate the high ping time.

Understanding your results

There are a few things to keep your eye out for when running these tests.

• High ping times: If your average ping times are often above 150ms, you’ll see slower response times in-game. If they’re over 200ms, you’ll probably have connection drops.
  • Packet loss: If you see numbers other than 0% or 100% in the % Loss column, it means data is being lost at that point in your connection. If you see it in more than one place, or if the numbers are high, this is probably what’s causing your connection issues. Make a note of the hops where packet loss is happening, and contact your ISP to let them know about it
  • Big differences between the best/worst ping times: This is a good indicator of an unstable connection. The difference between your best and worst ping times should be 100ms at most. If it’s more than that, that means a jittery or spiky connection. This is what causes lag in games and is the source of frustrating inconsistencies in performance. If you see this in your UOTrace, talk to your ISP about that, too.
Blueberry.png
Message 39 of 55 (1,282 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry 

Hahaha funny you should say the ping is unreasonable for any multiplayer game, i performed those result while someone was streaming (downloading) the tennis, as I told you it is unplayable with downloads but otherwise ping is usually fine.

Thankfully I am moving out tomorrow so can test a different wifi.

BUT it shouldnt be the wifi, I can play other multiplayer games fine. I do have both 5.0 and 2.4ghz options. The router is literally next to the xbox, its just the current tenant who got it got annoyed with waiting times for superior services.

Anyway I will try your DNS changing suggestion, as I haven't tried that. If that doesnt work I will let you know and I ll wait until I have moved.

Message 40 of 55 (1,274 Views)