Apex Radeon VII Max Fans and High Power After Game Update

by TYPICAL_MAC_USER

Original Post

Apex Radeon VII Max Fans and High Power After Game Update

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello, I'm new so I hope I'm posting in the right area.

Anyway, for the past week Apex has run fine, but after the Valentine's Day update when I run Apex it makes my fans spin up to max speed and when playing Apex my power consumption goes up to 200 watts. The fans stay at 3600-3800RPM even if I close the game and they only settle down after I restart my computer. I reinstalled my drivers and the issue persists. I realize I may have some other more sneaky issues but after 2 hours of troubleshooting I feel a forum post may be worth it.

Normally, my Radeon VII uses like 80 watts in game (and in other games) and runs at about 2000RPM because I like it cool (60c.)
Also, when I zoom in to snipe it's like the fans spin harder, like the card is working harder. This makes me think that this may be some sort of 'software overreaction' to a real load.
My setup:
AMD 3900X
Radeon VII
MSI MEG Unify
WD Black 256GB NVME SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDDs in Windows RAID 1
Dell U3415W

My hypothesis:
I think that maybe the update broke Radeon anti-lag, if that's possible for a game update to do. I run with anti-lag normally and I only have a 60hz screen so that keeps my power consumption low. However, I think something may be clashing with the AMD driver. I may do more testing to see if Radeon Chill "solves" the issue of the fans spinning up and getting stuck. I think maybe the game breaks something in the driver, which breaks the driver more.

EDIT:
An hour after making this, a windows update seems to have fixed the issue. I will edit again if the issue occurs.
Still interesting to me!

EDIT 2:
Well two games in and the issue reoccurred. Max fans again. NOT SOLVED!

EDIT 3:
Two minutes after I made EDIT 2 the fans calmed down after the game ended. It's at least an improvement. I landed in the same area of the map [TREE] and the fans did not spool up again. Mystery.

Message 1 of 2 (187 Views)

Re: Apex Radeon VII Max Fans and High Power After Game Update

★★★ Newbie

It's happening to my PS4 as well.   So I can say it's more than likely not your PC

Message 2 of 2 (150 Views)