Apex Legends using way too much CPU - Stutter + Framedrops

by Loligor

Original Post

Re: Apex Legends using way too much CPU - Stutter + Framedrops

★★★★★ Novice
This is insane... EA this game shouldn't be so greedy. Many of us are able to run much heavier games without issues.

Find a way to reduce CPU load and a hotfix patch.

I'm on an OC i5-7600k running steady 4.6ghz and a 1080ti and getting micro stutters every minute in random places where there are no fights or enemies.

And in a place with huge fight and explosions it doesn't necessarily stutter.

Totally illogical.

Work on this issue please.

The solution must not be to upgrade CPU for 80% of the 4core processor users.
Message 71 of 120 (3,177 Views)

★★★★ Novice

yep same here i get very high cpu usage and my game is flickering and black pixels appear on my screen

Message 72 of 120 (3,116 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hey, so is there any news on this subject? Or am I just not able to play this game ever?

I still didn't find any solution, nor did any patch up until now help me.

Kinda loosing hope here.

Message 73 of 120 (2,975 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same for me, i have horrible stuttering with my RTX2060 while all my other games run very well, I also have flickering texture sometimes. Please EA fix it

Message 74 of 120 (2,924 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had the same issue today with the game using 100% CPU usage, but by downloading the GeForce drivers which were just released fixed it for me.

Incase you haven't tried, heres the link: https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

Message 75 of 120 (2,827 Views)

Re: Massive CPU usage

★★★ Newbie
@oggs91
i7-9700k
GTX 2080
16gb ram 3000mhz

Apex Legends uses 80%-100% CPU and like 50% while sitting in the lobby. the game is fine for me while playing but my CPU and GPU are running hard. everything on low settings!. I dont understand this. makes me not wanna play soley for this reason. its gotta be a bug. EA fix this! lol fortnite uses max 35% cpu 30% gpu.
Message 76 of 120 (2,521 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a I5 7400 w/ a gtx 980 ti .. the cpu maxes out.

Message 77 of 120 (2,413 Views)

★★★ Newbie

sorry, I meant to say: I have a i5 7400, which maxes out and an a12 amd, which runs at ~65%

Message 78 of 120 (2,407 Views)

★★★ Novice

So what you meant was the game developer has to make it possible using less thread cpu? Why not also demanded them to still use 1 thread cpu, or even further Pentium 1 cpu? we can dream but reality still coming.

For me, its almost reverse. Software developer is very (very) slow in adapting using multi thread. We already have a good 8 thread from i7-2700K since 2011, but it was only getting more useful after Battlefield 1 in 2016 that using 6 threads (but you can modify user.cfg to use 12 threads) which cause 4 threads user complained a lot. Even now, not all game can optimally use all the threads. 

The era of 4 threads is over, just accept it and it will make things easier for you. 

Message 79 of 120 (2,348 Views)

★ Novice

I know this might be necroing but it is the only thread that had all the search words when I was looking for answers at the forum.
Been able to run the game relatively smoothly despite having a budget setup (check my dxdiag if you wish to) until the December update, ever since my game stutter and drops in frames to the point of it being unplayable.

However, I recently bought new parts for my computer for other reasons (e.g, I needed some more juice for my animation work) that I'm going to switch out during the holidays. Upgrading from i5-4670K to Ryzen 5 3600 along with a new MB and more RAM. The reason I wanted to post here is to come back later and provide an update to confirm whether this upgrade helped me or not – so others who might stumble upon this thread could get a definite answer, since my guess is that not everyone sits upon a beast of a computer.

Message 80 of 120 (1,727 Views)