Apex Legends using way too much CPU - Stutter + Framedrops

by Loligor

Original Post

Re: Apex Legends using way too much CPU - Stutter + Framedrops

★★★ Novice
It is not the case, it was 60-70fps minimum before and 2 weeks after start dropping to 20-30fps making it unplayable, no changes to hardware done in meatime....
Message 51 of 120 (6,326 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm having the same issue for the 2nd time. I've just sold and built a whole "new" PC after getting 100% CPU usage just in the menu of Apex (and metro). Randomly and not every time. Uninstalling my mouse software originally solved this! Then it came back. 

This was with an i3 7350K and a GTX 1070. Now I have a i7 3770 and an RX 480. Exact same issue. New copy of windows. New SSD. The game does play with the i7 but still maxed out and stuttering even in the menu. My mate, who works at some IT place, says undoing a windows update should fix it as they screwed gaming up on the latest update

Message 52 of 120 (6,154 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello!

I also had trouble with cpu hitting 95C and thermal protection which was cause of Apex Legends switching off.

After system startup I had something like 20%-30% constant CPU usage and now it is more like 0-5% with few 9% peaks.

Temps are now little bit better max 88 C but mostly 75-85 C.

My specs are

i5 4670k, 16gb ram, gtx1060 6gb. Most of the settings in game are low, or off. res is 1920x1080. I get 75+ fps while in transporter, but after I hit ground is more like 90-140 fps.

Simply go to windows taks manager and disable all unwanted aps while gaming in startup tab. Second disable all unwanted services that are singed by other than Microsoft. I had few app services that were opening at startup like adobe update, apple updater, autocad updater, spotify etc. after switching them off now CPU uses mostly 80-90% sometimes hitting 100% and after that my game is not switchin off by itself. Also I setup a custom fan curve on cpu and gpu.

Hope it helps for you aswell.

Message 53 of 120 (6,122 Views)

★★ Novice

I have a gtx 980 and a i5 3570k which its the recommended cpu required and its almost all the time at 100% having all the game settings on low , depending on the zone it goes lower sometimes but always above 70%it really sucks. The only solution i found is to lower the hz of my monitor from 144 to 100 and activate v-sync on the game, with that the cpu suffer quite less moving around 60-80% but keep reaching 100% sometimes. Seems to be that my cpu(the recommended one) cant handle the 144 fps without going 100%.

Message 54 of 120 (6,071 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I also notice the audio stutter and was confused to what I actually could cause this, I played around with different configurations and nothing worked but I tried lowering the resolution to 720p and someone said that helped and it did but no thanks.

I remembered that I had recently reinstalled windows and the game mode was still on and after I turned it off, no stutter no weird frame drops after that, try it cause you don't really need it lol.

Message 55 of 120 (5,857 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello gamers, matching mid-tier and high-tier parts in general are not perfect in terms of performance as is described by other members of this thread. However the processors mentioned in this thread are not slow by any means and games that do not have so many objects to be fed to a GPU from the CPU will generally run fine, and the calculations for lighting and and other effects will still benefit from the faster GPU without any sort of CPU bottleneck. It would be unfair to criticize people for this fault as many pre-builts will have these specs and not all people are well informed about how bottlenecks function. Apex Legends throws a lot of objects at your CPU, all of which will be sent to the GPU to be rendered and exported as a frame, and if your CPU does not have the multi-core performance (Because it utilizes multiple cores) to export all of this vertex data to such a high end GPU then it is inevitable that you will experience constant hangs or a completely held back frame-rate. There is no way around it unfortunately as in order to have this game function properly it needs to have these objects.. Games like Rainbow Six, CoD, and Overwatch, are not very heavy on the CPU and should perform seamlessly with these high end cards, especially at 1080p. On the other end, games that have a lot of objects being fed to your CPU and GPU such as open world and battle royale maps, will cause the CPU to lag in performance and heavily impact frames no matter the graphical setting. There are a few things however that you can do to increase performance regardless; first: change your <i>actual</i> resolution to a lower setting, turn any LOD options to the lowest setting, and disable grass. Lastly, check if your CPU is the actual problem, you will see this when you change your graphical settings such as ambient Occlusion and Shadows and see little impact on performance, or see really low frames in CPU heavy games like AC Odyssey, even on really low settings. The only way to really fix these issues so that you don't have to play on these pitifully low settings is to upgrade your CPU.

Message 56 of 120 (5,801 Views)

★★★ Novice
I am giving up on this game. It just makes my entire computer unusable after I exit. Everything is slowed to molasses after I run Apex Legends. Something continues to eat up CPU afterwards.
Message 57 of 120 (5,648 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@helladope wrote:

I've got an i5-9600k in my computer and while in game I'm constantly pushing 100% CPU usage. This especially shows up in gunfights, with a really bad 1.5ish second stutter that completely takes me out of it. Running a GTX 1080 too.

Exact same thing happen to me, i5 8400, RX580 8GB 

we need the fix asap the game is getting  a bit unenjoyable.

Message 58 of 120 (5,450 Views)

Champion

Check to see if you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology software installed and uninstall it.

Message 59 of 120 (5,432 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

According to most people I helped it has to do with the game over-stressing the GPU.

What worked for some of them was this solution: https://apex-support.trinity-gk.io/start/issue/crash/noerror/noerror_set_maxfps

as for stuttering while having decent FPS this: https://apex-support.trinity-gk.io/start/issue/stuttering

Message 60 of 120 (5,427 Views)