Apex Legends is Forcing A Power Cycle of my CPU

by SmoothBwain

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Apex Legends is Forcing A Power Cycle of my CPU

★★★ Newbie

Played on launch day (yesterday) for several hours with no issue. Today I sign on and the game is constantly forcing my computer to power cycle. (Specifically throwing an Event ID 41 - Kernel Power critical error per Event Viewer)

I've tried a few different options so far including:

• Unplugging and replugging all power cables from the PSU
  • Reinstalling the game on the same drive
  • Installing the game on a SSD
  • Downloading the latest GPU drivers

Played a few other games besides Apex Legends with no problem. Losing my mind a bit over here. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9 (5,478 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Apex Legends is Forcing A Power Cycle of my CPU

★★★ Newbie

Following up in case someone runs into this. I replaced my older PSU and it seems to be working fine now. It was just very odd that only Apex Legends would run into this issue.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (5,391 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Following up in case someone runs into this. I replaced my older PSU and it seems to be working fine now. It was just very odd that only Apex Legends would run into this issue.

Message 2 of 9 (5,392 Views)

Champion

Some games are more demanding than other in more ways than one, which is why stress testing a CPU would not work with only one type of stress test. (For overclocking)

Same can be said for GPU stress testing.

The combined power draw of Apex maybe greater than your previous games.

For example:

High GPU usage game but low CPU usage, = mild power draw.

Low GPU usage game but high CPU usage, = mild power draw.

Apex being High GPU usage combined with High CPU usage, resulting in a higher wattage draw from the PSU.

I hope this explains your issue. Standard smile

Message 3 of 9 (5,379 Views)

★ Guide

Game clearly has some performance problems. CPU usage constantly spikes from 60 percent to 100 in matter of seconds and game starts to stutter along with the audio some people have complete opposite and game is not utilizing their CPUs power at all. Sometimes if you launch the game its using 100 percent of CPU all the time even in menus sometimes it works okay. Also presumably Memory Leaks because after you play for like one hour game will use all of your RAM no matter if you have 8GB or 32GB lmao no to mention weird GPU Engine Errors. I can play newest titles without any problems and ive never seen something like that before in my more than 20 years of playing on PC. I read posts here constantly and I am not the only one with these problems. I already uninstalled the game and will wait for patches because I rather prefer to not play game than have my hardware butchered.

Message 4 of 9 (5,369 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have the same issue happening.
Could please someone from Apex team help me?
My PC:

• 2070s,
  • 5 3600 cpu
  • x570 aorus elite
  • superflower leadex 2 750w

Sometimes my game forces PC to just freeze. Same in events - Event ID 41.
I also play ranked a lot and I don't want this issue to affect that.

There is no such behavior in other games.

Message 5 of 9 (4,509 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When I play on native windows I dont have such problem. 
However when I split CCX (6 core 12 thread ryzen cpu group) cores to two and send one of them to virtual machine with 2070s passthrough same error Critical error ID 41 Kernel ...

The thing is I have optimized my kvm (kernel virtual machine) to get nearly bare metal performance (%99.4). 
It is probably a timer or voltage issue of coordinating two CCX cores of Ryzen because it happened after this optimizations:

<iothreads>2</iothreads>
<cputune>
<vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='6,18'/>
<vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='7,19'/>
<vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='8,20'/>
<vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='9,21'/>
<vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='10,22'/>
<vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='11,23'/>
<emulatorpin cpuset='0-12'/>
<iothreadpin iothread='1' cpuset='0-12'/>
<iothreadpin iothread='2' cpuset='1-13'/>
</cputune>

<clock offset='localtime'>
<timer name='rtc' present='no' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
<timer name='pit' present='no' tickpolicy='delay'/>
<timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
<timer name='kvmclock' present='no'/>
<timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
<timer name='tsc' present='yes' mode='native'/>
</clock>

You may want to adjust bios settings about timers and you may fiddle with the voltages or settings of the cpu which coordinates your CCX cores ...
Maybe it is a powersave issue which may also temper with CCX coordination 

I am using:
ryzen 9 3900XT
2070S and 5700XT 
on Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 X570 Mobo with crappiest cheapest corsair rams possible 
ssd is samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Message 6 of 9 (3,646 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just built a new ryzen based CPU and I am seeing this issue. While playing apex occasionally the PSU will just shut off. I then have to reset the power switch on the PSU and reboot the machine. Kernel error 41 similarly. Have run numerous combined CPU/GPU load tests and cannot reproduce the behavior even while pegging both GPU and CPU with heat much much higher.
This suggests that it is not a cooling issue. Furthermore I have been playing a ton of extended COD:Warzone and BlackOps Coldwar sessions without any issue. This appears to be related to Apex directly

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 5900x

Asus x570-e MOBO

EVGA 850 w GA gold

RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3

Corsair 4000Mhz Vengeance ram

SSD 970 EVO Plus nvme drive

Super bizarre issue, I just tried reinstalling drivers to see if that will help. I may also reflash mobo BIOS since I'm troubleshooting another issue.

Message 7 of 9 (3,589 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Similar issue on my side. Have upgraded recently mainboard, ram and CPU to a Ryzen 5600x. Faced the issue. Were assuming that the PSU has issues and replaced it with no success.

Drivers and BIOS is updated and other games are running without any issue at all.

Message 8 of 9 (3,537 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have solved my issue - upgrading everything to the latest versions. And configuring settings mindfully. 
Especially bios update made wonders ...

Message 9 of 9 (1,434 Views)