Re: Apex Legends high Input lag tied with fps

by stupider4

Original Post

Apex Legends high Input lag tied with fps

★★★★ Novice

Recently playing the game Ive noticed more and more input lag while playing, after a bit of research and testing, I've discovered that most of the problems came from fps drop. It seems like my input is always tied to the game's frame rates(which normally sits around 100 to 140), meaning that if I hot drop into turbine, since frame rates drop to around 90 to 80, the input lag just suddenly sky rocketed. Even some easy action like picking up an item or opening a loot box instantly becomes impossible.

My spec:

Gtx 1070

R5 3500x

16g ddr4 3200 ram

I've tested a lot of things like installing a clean nvidia driver, disabling full screen optimisation, high dpi scaling override.

Message 1 of 8 (3,391 Views)

EA DICE Team
Do you notice any hardware being at 100% at the same time when the Input lag starts? @stupider4

/Atic
Message 2 of 8 (3,352 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Atic Yes, I discovered that my gpu usage is 99% when the input lag starts to kick in. Everything else seems normal.

Message 3 of 8 (3,330 Views)

EA DICE Team
That would be why then. @stupider4 Standard smile

We are aware of 100% usage and its being looked at.

/Atic
Message 4 of 8 (3,299 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Atic  I've found a place that can quite perfectly recreate this bug. It's on Olympus, next to turbine there's an elevated house with a waterfall behind it, there's also three loot boxes with one of them spawning gold loot. If you are close to the loot boxes and facing the waterfall, you'll instantly feel the input lag. Tested with several friends' systems, and it is apparently universal, just not nearly as severe as mine.

I'll link a picture to help aid my terrible explanation

Message 5 of 8 (3,292 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

so I've been having this since the start of season 9, or maybe since the split. I can't remember but this has been going for ages. 

I realised it only affects the mouse as input, not controller. I can play fine for hours with the controller and there is 0 input lag. It actually feels a lot better than playing on the Xbox for me since I can play at 120+fps while Xbox caps framerate at 60. While using the mouse, on the other hand, I can feel a delay at many random times during a match, sometimes a very strong delay. The waterfall is the most obvious place it happens, I have to actually avoid fights in that area as the frame drops dramatically there and the input lag is horrible. What is interesting is that even though the frame drops in locations such as the waterfall, it is not actually low enough to supposedly impact the game, I'm talking 80-90 fps, instead of the usual 120-150fps. It's no reason to make my game so sluggish and increase input delay. Also, there is 0 input lag on the controller even at the waterfall. I can play perfectly fine. 

Adding to the above, I thought it could be related to using a wireless mouse, and maybe the high use of GPU or CPU was impacting the wireless dongle functionality, but I tried a wired mouse and also a wireless controller using the same USB port. Same results: 0 delay with controller, but delay with mouse. 

Message 6 of 8 (3,241 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_Atic it's nice to know that someone is looking at it, can you pass us some info about the progress? because i can't play the game for 20 days already.... this will be fixed in tuesday at the s10 launch?
Message 7 of 8 (3,234 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So this all could just be a placebo effect as I don't have any real time data to back it up but I mightve found a solution.  I was messing around with the steam controller config and I decided to bind my controller to mnk binds to feel how mouse like aiming felt on a joystick. In the middle of a game I switched back to mnk while leaving the controller plugged in and I immediately noticed my mouse felt different. It felt way better and much more like how I'm use to it feeling so I unplugged the controller to find out my mouse felt insanely sluggish again. I than closed my game out and went to steam launch options and added -nojoy. Loaded up firing range and sure enough my mouse felt responsive again. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Unfortunately controller is disabled while doing this though.

Message 8 of 8 (3,131 Views)