Re: Apex Legends Stuttering after latest update

by 7empePL

Original Post

★★ Guide

@7empePL wrote:
@ON1MUSH4Yeah, I have the same observations. It seems that Reflex has introduce heavy stutter. I also rolled back to 452.06 and I use Low Latency Mode set to "ultra". However, if you use "ultra", you should not use +fps_max 141, because ultra low letency mode has embedded 138 fps cap for 144 Hz monitors. Use "+fps_max unlimited" to avoid triggering two overlapping FPS limiters (in-game's and nvidia's).

I can also confirm this, tried both 456.71 and 456.55 and I had stutters even though the FPS was great. After reverting the drivers to 452.06 the problem was fixed so I also suppose the problem is with Reflex implementation.

Are you sure that ultra low latency is capping the FPS? If that's the case I don't need to use the driver max framerate cap, gonna try it out.

Message 61 of 160 (3,506 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@CroL0coNvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode does limit FPS to avoid G-Sync ceiling, which means overlaping with V-Sync frequency. For example, having 144 Hz monitor and G-Sync+V-Sync enabled, the ULL will cap FPS to 138. Higher the refresh rate - more significant the cap is (e.g. 189 FPS on 200 Hz). Not sure though, what happens if you disable G-Sync. I suppose that FPS cap will be disabled too, because there is no risk of constant switching between G-Sync and V-Sync.

And avoid using Nvidia's or in-game FPS limiters. Nvidia's has higher input lag than RTSS and in-game has no constant frame times. Use Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) fps limiter instead.

Message 62 of 160 (3,500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@7empePL wrote:
@CroL0coNvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode does limit FPS to avoid G-Sync ceiling, which means overlaping with V-Sync frequency. For example, having 144 Hz monitor and G-Sync+V-Sync enabled, the ULL will cap FPS to 138. Higher the refresh rate - more significant the cap is (e.g. 189 FPS on 200 Hz). Not sure though, what happens if you disable G-Sync. I suppose that FPS cap will be disabled too, because there is no risk of constant switching between G-Sync and V-Sync.

That explains why my FPS is capped to 162 (on a 170hz monitor) even though I set the driver limiter to 165. Thx for the info mate. 

So if I want to use g-sync and ultra low latency the setting would be:

1. Turn on g-sync
2. Turn on ultra low latency mode
3. Don't touch the FPS limiter in drivers, Riva Tuner or in game command
4. Turn on v-sync in drivers

??

Message 63 of 160 (3,499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@CroL0coExactly! I would add "+fps_max unlimited" to the game's arguments. Otherwise game will lock FPS to your refresh rate by default, which is not necessary.

Message 64 of 160 (3,530 Views)

★★ Guide

Thx mate 

Message 65 of 160 (3,522 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@7empePL I just rolled back the driver and it is not working sadly Frown. I tried disabling LLM both in-game launch options and in Nvidia. I also tried enabling it in Nvidia and adding the +fps_max unlimited command but it did not work. I might mention here that the FPS drop is associated with a sound stutter as well. This has been the case in the lobby though, I didn't pay attention in an actual match if that is the case though.
Message 66 of 160 (3,508 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@7empePL I noticed right now "+fps_max unlimited" or "+fps_max 141" or "nothing" on command launch doesn't matter if I use Ultra Low Latency on Nvidia Control Panel, always 138 fps with stable 7.2ms.
PS: Impossible to play Apex without Ultra Low Latency mode on "Ultra", in-game massive stutter incoming otherwise.
Message 67 of 160 (3,502 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@FasperaDo you play on laptop? What's the spec? If sounds stutters as well, this may be related to the power plan or hundreds of other factors...

Message 68 of 160 (3,500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@ON1MUSH4Well it does not matter, because lowest cap takes precedence. However, if different caps are too close each other you may notice microstuttering (it depends on a gap between limiters and limiter's implementation quality). Safe margin should be at least 3 FPS to not see the difference. Setting "+fps_max unlimited" unlocks the game's engine to update the scene to 300 per second. Having 138 cap due to enabled ULL assures that these 138 frames will be always the most current = lower input latency too.

Message 69 of 160 (3,498 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@7empePL Really thanks, I appreciated your explaination!
Message 70 of 160 (3,495 Views)