Re: Apex Legends Random Freezing/Crash, 100% CPU Usage

by EA_Atic

Original Post

Apex Legends Random Freezing/Crash, 100% CPU Usage

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi, ever since Season 3 started I have been having problems with Apex freezing in the middle of a match, It happens like every 3rd or 4th match I play. (about 1 crash per hour)
If I didn't have 2 monitors I would have to restart my pc since the only way to exit Apex when it happens is to end the task in taskmanager.

When I play Apex my CPU usage is normally around 40-50% with discord also running etc. and then all of a sudden the game hangs/freezes and the CPU usage goes up to 100% and stays there until I quit the game.

I have tried reinstalling/repairing the game. I have tried setting the AVX Offset to 1 and 2. I have tried clearing the cache and some other dumb stuff I was told to try.
I have heard that it might be connected to the Windows gamemode/gamebar but I have all of those disabled.
Also, everything on my pc is updated to the newest drivers.

FYI I did also update my windows around the same time that Apex released season 3. I don't know if Apex is broken or if the windows update caused it but it is only happening in Apex.

Message 1 of 8 (3,950 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Exact same issue for me.

Have you solved it?  

Message 2 of 8 (3,831 Views)

★ Apprentice

Exact same for me! Thought it was my hardware, but never had it before

Message 3 of 8 (3,823 Views)

★★★ Novice

There is supposed to be an update to fix it at anytime. For now, try setting the game's advancedd launch options to -maxthreads 3 in game properties in the origin client. It greatly reduced the number of crashes for me and it is what a Respawn dev recommended people try for now.

Message 4 of 8 (3,794 Views)

★★ Novice
Hello!

I've had connectivity issues and freezes/crashes for some time on Apex Legends. Crashes were basically that screen first freezed and after that my friends would tell me that I dropped out of the game in a few seconds. Game could be only closed through task manager by ending the proccess.

Fix is fairly easy.

Open up some ports from your router. Simply go to https://portforward.com/apex-legends/ to check the ports you need. No need to open all of them and there is a bunch of videos that can teach you about port forwarding. I personally opened the few first ones on the list and got it working. No more crashing for about 3 days or connection time outs.

Also, a small hint. For those who don't have a second monitor, try opening a second desktop in the background. You can test this by pressing ((Windows + Tab) Windows 10 at least) and pressing on ''New Desktop'' from the top left corner. This will allow you to open a taskmanager on the second desktop and close the game from there. After that you can just close the extra desktop.

@Cpt_Skidmarks
Message 5 of 8 (3,772 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This sadly didn't help. Opened all of these: 1024-1124,3216,9960-9969,18000,18060

Still crashes as frequently as ever, but on Friday it didn't crash a single time but Saturday and today it's back to the same old crashing. Wth is going on with this game, totally random *. 

Please fix this.

Message 6 of 8 (3,484 Views)

★★★ Novice

HOW?

Message 7 of 8 (2,886 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it being necroed.

If you have any issues with APEX please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve it.

/Atic
Message 8 of 8 (2,846 Views)